Page 344 of 821 FirstFirst ... 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 ... LastLast
Results 8,576 to 8,600 of 20504
    Quote Originally Posted by SimB View Post
    Anyone know what lifts were open in Verbier today? And what's going to be open tomorrow?

Making the early trip from Chamonix tomorrow hoping for the best. See ya!
    bring your skins

Great photos paedde and powdherb! Looked luscious.

St. Anton was tough but fun on Saturday. Lifts at St. Christoph didn't open until 10am due to the weather. The top was socked in with horizontal blowing snow pellets in exposed areas. Visibility was nil on Galzig. As I made my way down to more protected areas, I felt as if I was back skiing in the PNW. Heavy and deep powder covered everything. Down lower at St. Anton was pretty good, though - as long as you got off of the main runs. The melting from last week was evident all over the mountain. There may have been a lot of new snow, but it was pretty easy to find the re-frozen layer below, especially on the main runs. We quickly went searching for good lines off trail and in the trees and were not disappointed. Down low rocks could still easily be found under the fresh layer of powder.

A couple from a fun little off trail descent at St. Anton proper. We were the first in this day. It got tracked out pretty quick. Steeper sections were very icy once the 30cm or so of new pow got scraped. These are from our second time down this.

I'd love to report on the skiing Sat afternoon and on Sunday, but I didn't get out. My knee was feeling a bit wobbly all morning on Saturday. After five or six runs, we decided to take a break. I took off my skis, put them and the poles in a rack, turned, took three steps, and POP! There was a doc in our group and all tests pointed to a meniscus tear in my right knee. My patella is gefooked also. I'm working on scheduling an MRI right now so I can get a a firm diagnosis. Right now, it's looking like surgery number 4 on this knee. FML.....

I have a lot more pics to go through - may post more up later. Not like I can do much else right now.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Shit. Unlucky

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    verb is strange. Lot of people in some spots, none in some others.
    lift-assisted loneliness in verb

Skinned Le Tour with half of Chamonix on Saturday. It was actually a surpringly nice spring skiing day with warm temps and a bit of corn on top of the hard stuff. Sunday was just cruising around GM w/ the gf. Needless to say we need a fresh coat over here in the Western Alps but on the good side, lots of rocks now covered and next dump (hopefully Thursday night?) will put everything in solid shape.

Powdherb- futzing around the Aravis I see? Nice pics!
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Heading to Verbier on Wednesday. Any of you kooks around?

today was the best day at nordpark since march 2009.

freak~[&]

edit: you could probably argue that it was better in october 2009, but the lifts werent running then...
    Last edited by freak; 12-13-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Did nordpark really get hit with that much snow.... is anything left for slim pickings tomorrow?? I was planning on heading up in the morning for a quick sesh before class...

Isnt it still a little sharky.....

40cm or so since yesterday afternoon, on top of soft snow. nothing really left for tomorrow, except if they open hafelekar (was closed today, should be good the day they open). you hit rocks and latschen at some points if you ski off piste to the valley, quite much snow up high now.

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    sadly, I won't be in verb up to the 26th

but have a serious chance to hit airolo or amatt before that time

Quote Originally Posted by powdherb View Post
    ..... Our day wouldn't be complete without me ripping out a binding.
    No way! You must be kidding. If not, perhaps it is time to step up to alpine bindings and Trekkers.

Say hi to Guilhelm. CU soon.

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    40cm or so since yesterday afternoon, on top of soft snow. nothing really left for tomorrow, except if they open hafelekar (was closed today, should be good the day they open). you hit rocks and latschen at some points if you ski off piste to the valley, quite much snow up high now.

freak~[&]
    If you think that was the best since March '09 you missed a fucking epic day last March! I'm heading out to Innsbruck on thursday (my gf lives 10 metres away from the Nordkette lifts) - give me a shout if your heading up anytime between now and mid-jan, gf has exams to revise for so I could do with a ski buddy!

well, i was there in march i think and it was nice as well, but there were more people and you couldnt ski to the valley as good as yesterday. but im sure you can argue about best day and whatever. it was really really good though. i have of course skied there with way more snow, but i think enver with so few other people on such a sunny day.
    ill be skiing there on weekdays if it snows and the weather is supposed to be bad (i dont like the crowds on sunny days)...

freak~[&]

Let me know when and maybe I can meet you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    Weekend will be good in Cham if you fancy popping over. Le Tour opens this wknd as well.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

well, i was there in march i think and it was nice as well, but there were more people and you couldnt ski to the valley as good as yesterday. but im sure you can argue about best day and whatever. it was really really good though. i have of course skied there with way more snow, but i think enver with so few other people on such a sunny day.
    ill be skiing there on weekdays if it snows and the weather is supposed to be bad (i dont like the crowds on sunny days)...

freak~[&]
    I am down for anywhere on wednesday/thursday/friday.... I am driving up today and will have a car with me meaning anywhere with Tirol snow card I am good to go... Looks like there should be a dusting wednesday on to thursday and then some snow on friday... If you are down for heading up some where let me kno....

sadly, I won't be in verb up to the 26th

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    Let me know when and maybe I can meet you there.
    If you guys come to Amatt on saturday, let me know.
    There should be a decent ski test by Sport4You too, if you're interested.
    Matteo
    Always Fight Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by powdherb View Post
    Well the snow sucks here in the Western Alps. Here is a TR from sat:
    you had better weather than when I was up there

then again we had better snow for the descent

where are the TRs from teh east?

2m in less than one week? no TRs? come on people!
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

How far east we talking about??

well not ulan bator east.

but east of chamonix for sure
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

ok..... Well i wish i had some photos from last Saturday but my douche cousin bailed on me to go take poser like jib photos in a playground instead of ripping waist pow with me on an empty mountain .... But I can confirm that it was pretty damned good, for me at least it was the best day of skiing I have ever had. The snow was not the lightest or fluffiest, the terrain was not that gnarr but I was all by myself, every track I crossed was mine and I got waist deep all day long and this was on Piste because they just did not groom. I think I already said that somewhere early season empty resort kicks ass!!

Who is down for a Tirolean ski day tomorrow.... heading out early have place for one.... probably no new snow anywhere but ill be heading out.... anyone down PM me...

30+cm of pow, nightskiing. Stoked.

secret spot (tm)!

dont know how i could find this place! so secret!!!