Page 8 of 813 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    shit the roads are closed.
    Obertraun/Krippenstein can not be reached anymore.
    in certain areas 3,5m(11-12 feet) of snow has fallen since monday !!
    edit: and they expect another 50-60cm.
    avalanche danger has reached extreme (5/5) in Austria.(salzburg,steiermark, oberöstereich)
    Fuck i hope they get the road cleared until tomorrow.
    Avalanches all over the Place. Huge ones reached several roads in Austria.....
    shit, in some areas there is as much OR MORE snow than in feb. 1999 !!
    many villages can not be reached anymore.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I was skiing Tauplitz over new year, it's is a real snow magnet. It just got another 60cm fresh overnight and snow depth is now 420 cm

Local hills round Vienna have 2 to 3 metres (ca 1 metre fresh this week), time to put the holiday form in and go get some

im going tonight.
    but i fear everything will be closed until saturday at least..

psssssssssssst

there's a dump a-comin'.

(.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    there's a dump a-comin'.

(.)
    Perfectly timed, if I say so myself (Cham this weekend, then on to Monte Rosa for the week!).

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by edg
    Perfectly timed, if I say so myself (Cham this weekend, then on to Monte Rosa for the week!).

edg
    i have friends arriving on satuday. so far, i've had 3 week+ visitors at different times, and each has brought snow with them. i may start paying people to come out.

It could be huuge. snow starting this weekend and models wont let it stop until next friday.(just a small break on wednesday)
    but northern alps only. so skip the monte rosa at all costs!!!! theyre lackign snow for weeks and wont get any !

i smashed my face at the Krippenstein(wannabe rockstar line, landing 8m to nearly flat ..more in a comign up TR ..... my left side feels numb and the bone below the eye is a bit broken. the docs are not sure whether the nerv will come back or they have to cut me open to release pressure and remove the bone pieces..... but it is not as bad as it sounds. AND i could ski if i should decide to do so )and have univerity stuff to do so i may miss this one.

damn s.p. sounds like you had a pretty good run in there, rock star! heal up fast and get some more pow.

Heading up to The Yeti to do my nekkid snow dance now.
    Bringing Bukowski for the Poetry Reading. "And that Radio played on..."

Snow mudderfucker. Snow mudderfucker. Snow.
    Come onnnnnn bitch...snowwwwww!!!!!!!
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague
    It could be huuge. snow starting this weekend and models wont let it stop until next friday.(just a small break on wednesday)
    but northern alps only. so skip the monte rosa at all costs!!!! theyre lackign snow for weeks and wont get any !

i smashed my face at the Krippenstein(wannabe rockstar line, landing 8m to nearly flat ..more in a comign up TR ..... my left side feels numb and the bone below the eye is a bit broken. the docs are not sure whether the nerv will come back or they have to cut me open to release pressure and remove the bone pieces..... but it is not as bad as it sounds. AND i could ski if i should decide to do so )and have univerity stuff to do so i may miss this one.
    damn dude. three words: full face helmet. teeth are expensive! heal up...

edg, i would agree with sp. head just over to the next valley up (valais) and you will be fine. but cham's a fine choice too. maybe just stay there?

Quote Originally Posted by TeleAl
    Heading up to The Yeti to do my nekkid snow dance now.
    Bringing Bukowski for the Poetry Reading. "And that Radio played on..."

Come onnnnnn bitch...snowwwwww!!!!!!!
    like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    edg, i would agree with sp. head just over to the next valley up (valais) and you will be fine. but cham's a fine choice too. maybe just stay there?
    Garr don't say these things people, we're booked into a hotel 'n' everything :P the Snow-Forecast.com model is looking OK for Gressoney, though not as good as Cham.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by edg
    Garr don't say these things people, we're booked into a hotel 'n' everything :P the Snow-Forecast.com model is looking OK for Gressoney, though not as good as Cham.

edg
    yeah, i know how that goes! i think i just did my last "book ahead" ski trip (la grave). from now on i follow the snow.

don't worry, i'm sure that by us saying something that it automatically ensures it's blowing up when you are there. git sum!

Fingers crossed I'm just rushing out the door!

edg

I have watched with great interest these forecast maps over the last 4 days. The storm "forecast" has shifted west-ward and lengthened in total area. Good news for everyone...except Italy. Even the Jura may get 25 - 50cm!!!

Heading up to ski Les Mosses Sat and Sunday. Staying in Comballaz. Will be skiing both sides of the liason between La Lecherette and Les Mosses.

Monday need to work in Geneve.

Tuesday, road trip? SSB, Bruson, ...?
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

Friday 11 Feb 2005
    Euro Mags sit tight.
    Saturday might be a good day to sit home and knit.
    Sunday we will see a change.
    Monday and Tuesday the snowline should drop to the valley floor.

Rumors say it doesn't end there.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

OMG!!! LITT is quoting Snow-forecast.CON. what's happened??? welcome to the dark side, JONG!

al is correct. sat might be a day to sit it out but i will probably look for something anyways. less mosses is too low - rain on saturday, turning to snow only in the evening. sunday - colder than a witch's tit and high winds. seek refuge in the trees.

i have friend visiting next week. i'll be waiting and watching to take off during the week. i definitely would like to show them SSB at least once. twice if it's good. otherwise i will be somewhere in the alpes vaudiouse.

Saturday 12 Feb 2005
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Sunday 13 Feb 2005
    Altitude = 1264m.

Cold again!
    All the bullshit has passed overnight with wind pushing all warm bullshit air out of here.

Flakes falling.
    Snow announced to valley until Wednesday.

Stay stoked Euro Mags.
    And all hail the Snow Gods!!!
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

It pissed rain in St Anton yesterday, but the snow gods are appeased and now it is absolutely puking. don#t think it rained much above 1800m. when i left the hill at 1:00 there was about 50cm of storm snow at the base of Zammermoos. Forecast is looking good for the next 6 days. I´m not checking the board very often but if anyone is in the neighbourhood send me an SMS at +436646588177

Pow slut and I are observing the same things.

EURO MAGS! It's on!

Spent the day on the hill with Ripz and Mike (look for TR on another thread)
    and we watched the storm roll in, and begin its magic.

Sunday afternoon report from Leysin.
    13 Feb 2005 17h00

--Morning, not snowing much, but a dusting overnight.
    --By 12h00, storm was blowing hard and snowing. Pistes were very fun, with snow covering them making them a little between pow and piste.
    --Off-piste remained challenging. The challenge was the layer of wet crusty snow under the layer of nice snow currently falling and piling up. Simply put, it was just a little too early in the storm for the off piste, although we choose it on each run, just for the fun of it.
    --Off-piste will be much better by tomorrow/Monday, but will more than likely have a few challenging spots in it. But, I think only a few.
    --By Tuesday it should be filled in like we like it.
    --If the snow continues through later in the week, as announced, we will be skiing in thigh/waist high snow by Wednesday.

Sunday in breif:
    00h00 windy, warm air turning to cold air
    08h00 not much going on except wind.
    11h00 storm rolling in, blowing and snowing.
    17h00 Snowing hard!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Oh yeah, that post above, it's a POW ALARM!!!
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

just back from verb. cloudy and cold but big PPPPPPOOOOOOOOWWWWW day!!!

I have been conned into a..

..half year book in advance trip to La Grave (26th of february to 5th of march). As it looks now, the northern part of the alps is getting all the goods. I have done one smart thing, though, and that is to get a "money back if ill insurance". I know a doctor, to put it that way. Don't be surprised if one ill norwegian is ripping pow in Engleberg or some other place in a couple of weeks.

I suppose I have a question; how is the base/cover in La Grave? It doesn't look like LG is getting much of this storm, the same way as it missed out on the previous one. And last; how much does LG need in order to get GOOOOOD? Another 50 cm or...?

The base cover here is generally pretty good. There are a couple of bottlenecks lower down where the passage of skiers has left a lot of rocks exposed. These are basically just at the bottom of the Vallons. Otherwise looking good. There is good cover right down to the Romanche and it is easy to ski right down. Also good cover for the classic glacier-valley routes although I reckon the snow is too firm for me to be happy to hit them.

With a decent dump things here will be awesome. If it doesn't come though I would go somewhere Northern. But it's coming! It's coming!