Page 700 of 821 FirstFirst ... 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 ... LastLast
Results 17,476 to 17,500 of 20518
    Nice photos and beautiful looking snow in that last pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Ok guys, we gonna get a lift served season this year? If not how will the small towns of the alps survive? We are sure being overloved right now!

I can tell you that we're gearing up for one as usual. However they would be doing that anyway so that they can claim insurance if it's all cancelled again...

That said I'm increasingly certain that we can't live like this for ever, eventually the nutobs are right and the 'cure' really does become worse than the disease.

I suspect resorts will open, possibly without the big bin lifts (telepheriques, funiculaires etc) but I think the apres-ski will be a lot less lively...

Already lots of talk here about staff reductions, no snow making, etc.... i need ski season for my mental health. Not at all worried if there is no apres.

There was an article recently (I think from a Zurich newspaper?) about Ischgl trying to change its image and apres ski after the shit it got for its handling of the virus. Speaking to a local there, though, sounds like more talk than action.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

#augustsnow

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I can further tell you that we're looking at about a 50% reduction in staff for my particular resort assuming (i suppose) a corresponding drop in passenger numbers. It changes as the UK adds places to quarantine.

Whilst apparently Chamonix has been quite busy for some periods, most of the people have been Europeans and have driven. I suspect this may continue into the ski season. (Although part of me is expecting us to do Xmas/NYE with a 50% staff, and then all the quarantine stuff will be lifted and we'll get nailed in March/April).

The good thing, is that if you're already local (or can get out for the season), it could be particularly quiet this year

On another note, if you were British and has been unable to find any heritage that would get me an EU passport, Would you take a job in France to sneak on to the French system pre-Brexit (urgh) or stay in Switzerland? Same company, same position, similar money and I will still be able to work in CH on future seasons as a Frontalier so it's just one season out of Verbier (Les Menuires is looking like it'll be home...) - whilst I'm recovering from an ACL tear...Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ddraver View Post
    I can further tell you that we're looking at about a 50% reduction in staff for my particular resort assuming (i suppose) a corresponding drop in passenger numbers. It changes as the UK adds places to quarantine.

Whilst apparently Chamonix has been quite busy for some periods, most of the people have been Europeans and have driven. I suspect this may continue into the ski season. (Although part of me is expecting us to do Xmas/NYE with a 50% staff, and then all the quarantine stuff will be lifted and we'll get nailed in March/April).

The good thing, is that if you're already local (or can get out for the season), it could be particularly quiet this year

On another note, if you were British and has been unable to find any heritage that would get me an EU passport, Would you take a job in France to sneak on to the French system pre-Brexit (urgh) or stay in Switzerland?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

WE WANT TO GO SKIING

We are in talk with some danish skiinstruktors, and they looking forward to go skiing in europe - france and austria this season. I think the skiareas would open like normal, with a bit of space in the lifts. Indoor bars would close around 00:00 clock.

Switzerland just released a 700 millions plan to help public transports... lifts included... I love this country

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums

Oh! Vendul, you are in paradise!...I think we need some sort of two week quarantine pre-session in Nice and then straight to Venduls chateau? How do we make this work from the grand Ole USA? are there ridiculous bargains that could, MAYBE make it financially feasible?

Vendul - any word on how resorts will operate this year? There’s been a lot of angst in the Vail thread about their reservation system. I don’t think they would do that here. I’m thinking just longer lines as they limit numbers on trams/gondolas?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would be drawn to resorts that do not rely on funiculaires or telepheriques...

Good news: one of the local shepherds says it’s gonna be a banger winter( not a direct quite)
    The bad: 54 positive cases yesterday in a town of 30,000
    My take: who the fawk knows!!

Has the flower thing bloomed early or late?

The Mullen flower reader(Sepp) was very vague in his forecast!

Quote Originally Posted by ddraver View Post
    I would be drawn to resorts that do not rely on funiculaires or telepheriques...
    Rode Jumbo with our bikes yesterday. Masks and capacity restrictions. If you can get on a bus or train then why not a cable car? Can’t see much international tourism but the Swiss will still ski. Lower capacity compensated by lower skier numbers?

Just bought our lift passes and waxing up the rock skis...

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Rode Jumbo with our bikes yesterday. Masks and capacity restrictions. If you can get on a bus or train then why not a cable car? Can’t see much international tourism but the Swiss will still ski. Lower capacity compensated by lower skier numbers?
    Yeah...

But imagine if you re in a resort where such a thing is the only way up the mountain and they limit it to, say 30 people (as they were in Wengen over summer for example). Think of the link between Nendaz and Siviez (before the new lift obvs), or being in La Daille in val d'isere or Tignes Les Brevieres at 9 am on a powder day when the funiculairs are running at 30% capacity...

Huh, so that's what Montfort looks like in summer. The lifts up there never opened while I was "stuck" there.

PSA: have a look at the weather maps and check your favorite grassy meadows on Sat. Sunday might actually be skiable here and there. Mainly central Swiss to Arlberg, but still very uncertain. I will chime in on Thursday or Friday how this may play out.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    PSA: have a look at the weather maps and check your favorite grassy meadows on Sat. Sunday might actually be skiable here and there. Mainly central Swiss to Arlberg, but still very uncertain. I will chime in on Thursday or Friday how this may play out.
    Here's to hoping your symptoms are not indicative of th3 c0\/idz.

Uh no. I'm negative. Always so negative....

had to go to work right after I got the result. Just a snotty nose.

All this negativity makes me sick.

Well Except when there is powder on the horizon, in September nonetheless.

Uh no. I'm negative. Always so negative....
    The likelihood of me farting around Yurp this year is low. So it will be a killer year. while I plot another mad rage through the Alpz somewhere out there in the hopeful future.

So stay stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The likelihood of me farting around Yurp this year is low. So it will be a killer year. while I plot another mad rage through the Alpz somewhere out there in the hopeful future.

So stay stoked!
    Bummer. But I can see why coming over would be kind of difficult.

If it makes you any happier: my fantastic season will probably come to an aprupt halt when we get our second child late Feb early March.

Bummer. But I can see why coming over would be kind of difficult.

If it makes you any happier: my fantastic season will probably come to an aprupt halt when we get our second child late Feb early March.
    I'm not one much for ze schadenfreude. But hey wow, congrats to you and A!

I hope I can still pick your brain for some sweet pointers on dirtbagging around CH. I'm dragging my sweetie along next time and will likely base around https://www.mt-lodge.com/ for a bunch of it.