Page 679 of 813 FirstFirst ... 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 ... LastLast
Results 16,951 to 16,975 of 20323
    Nice views of the Mont Blanc massif...

Anyone have any recommendations for mellow tour routes with the pooch in Western AT or NE CH?
    Just moved for work to the Stuttgart area for the next 3yrs, coming from Boulder, CO and need some recommendations.
    I'm a total newb to glaciers and will stay away until I get some proper experience through guides and tours with others, but for now I'm just looking to do some mellow stuff for the exercise with the dog.

Welcome to YRP,

zhey problem is the language barrier... so you need to get your deutsch uptospeed.

https://www.alpenvereinaktiv.com/en/...28619,47.04767

this is pretty much straight forward tour tool. you can find lots of stuff..
    color coding; blue - red - black : )

but the info is in deutsch and google translate it but.... maybe some routefinding infos get lost in translation???

but most stuff north of the main alpine ridge could be easier ... alpine meadows etc

you dont need much glacier info as honestly, i avoid them as much possible. flat shields of ice. and almost history.

any questions please be welcome

Heading to St Moritz for my first ski trip to the Alps. I'm usually a "road less traveled" type (Magic Vt for instance) vs. "glitz" but I'm meeting my daughter who wants to see a World Cup race in the Alps (me too BTW) and the woman are at St Moritz so.....

Any thoughts or advice? 3 days. Sat/Sun Corviglia as the race is there. Monday Corvatsch? If there is any powder to be had I want to hit it. Can you do so without going full "Off-piste" and risk life and limb (or need a guide)? No real need to hit extreme, I'd just like to get into some powder off the groomed runs.

Any help much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Welcome to YRP,

zhey problem is the language barrier... so you need to get your deutsch uptospeed.

https://www.alpenvereinaktiv.com/en/...28619,47.04767

this is pretty much straight forward tour tool. you can find lots of stuff..
    color coding; blue - red - black : )
    This is great resource! Thanks for the info - I actually had this app already on my phone, but forgot about it. Some Swiss people recommended it to me when I was out exploring the terrain around St. Anton in the fall.

Think I already have a nice route planned out to a hut and back next weekend. Just have to get to finishing up mounting the at binders on an old pair of sticks.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Heading to St Moritz for my first ski trip to the Alps. I'm usually a "road less traveled" type (Magic Vt for instance) vs. "glitz" but I'm meeting my daughter who wants to see a World Cup race in the Alps (me too BTW) and the woman are at St Moritz so.....

Any thoughts or advice? 3 days. Sat/Sun Corviglia as the race is there. Monday Corvatsch? If there is any powder to be had I want to hit it. Can you do so without going full "Off-piste" and risk life and limb (or need a guide)? No real need to hit extreme, I'd just like to get into some powder off the groomed runs.

Any help much appreciated.
    Every Euro Ski village has a monument raised for "the unknown American" who dared to ski offpiste. Countless tales of brave but foolish ikoners trying to find pow "just off the groomed slopes". A tragedy.

It will be tracked out since the new storm does not come through to the south and the last snow has been over a week ago. avi danger should stay manageable. (maybe even at level one...depends on the wind). Stable snowpack right now. You'll survive. Barely though.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Every Euro Ski village has a monument raised for "the unknown American" who dared to ski offpiste. Countless tales of brave but foolish ikoners trying to find pow "just off the groomed slopes". A tragedy.

It will be tracked out since the new storm does not come through to the south and the last snow has been over a week ago. avi danger should stay manageable. (maybe even at level one...depends on the wind). Stable snowpack right now. You'll survive. Barely though.
    If I pay homage to the monument before hand will that increase my odds of survival?

Weather models I follow show some snow reaching the St Moritz are but I obviously don't know the intricacies of storm type that delivers. I would suspect a southern flow better and the storm is coming in from the West?

Wish me luck.

Enjoying some 6 day old wind blown pow before the great storm rolls in...

Skied in Corvatsch this weekend. The coverage is good enough for going off-piste, though sharks are still there. Week-old powder, mostly tracked, but still soft in the lower half. Upper half is quite wind packed.
    Without a guide I'd recommend staying below Murtel.
    There is some good terrain.
    1 and 3 - the most interesting, but also avalanche-prone. 3 is known as Supermario land for its terrain features, they even did FWQ comps there.
    2 and 4 - in the trees, easier and safer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.12.19.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	473.8 KB 
ID:	305441

these colors so hot rightnow.
    sp´s alarm in deutsch here

Snow level is still a gamble for sat.
    Sacrifice at your Ullr shrine.
    Major models range from snowpocalypse down to 1000m in the euro model to rain to 2000m in gem.
    Only loads of precip are fairly certain.

Edit: and my current alert is for right Now and not for the weekend because I'm not from the Netherlands. First wave. Maybe another little on Wed and the big one Friday /sat.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by danila View Post
    Skied in Corvatsch this weekend. The coverage is good enough for going off-piste, though sharks are still there. Week-old powder, mostly tracked, but still soft in the lower half. Upper half is quite wind packed.
    Without a guide I'd recommend staying below Murtel.
    There is some good terrain.
    1 and 3 - the most interesting, but also avalanche-prone. 3 is known as Supermario land for its terrain features, they even did FWQ comps there.
    2 and 4 - in the trees, easier and safer.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Hopefully the storms this week freshen things up a bit.

Got up the mountain today in Klosters. Lots of wind blown, but some nice pockets of pow.

Also worth noting that snow stability seems pretty iffy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0328.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	305580

Further to previous comment, I have rarely seen this slide. It wasn’t thick, but makes me weary...

From 40 to 50cm of fluff up high in the Wetterstein Gebirge. Not much underneath it though so hoping for a strong weekend pulse. Good god skiing pow is fun!

geez and those tracks that appear to be heading for just beyond where that slide petered out add to the scare.

For this upcoming storm, it looks like freezing levels are high. New to euro skiing, so is Sunday likely to be the better day?

Massive storm and high freezing levels means whiteout skiing? So Sunday might mean better visibility:? Or are the levels low enough that tree skiing should still be good? Used to Colorado which never has freezing level problems.

Also, I'll be rolling solo, so if anyone wants to get out, I'd love to meet up! Anywhere within 2ish hours from Zurich.

I'd go on Sunday and stay above 2k.
    The forecast looks good for both Engelberg and Andermatt.
    I expect both will be crowded.
    Engelberg has better lift capacity, so less waiting.
    I'd happily show you around, but booked for the weekend - attending the pre-season camp with Dani Perret

I’ll be skiing Klosters all weekend

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    I’ll be skiing Klosters all weekend
    Any reason for Klosters vs higher elevation resorts likr Andernatt or Engelberg?

Snow level will rise on Sat. The morning should be good on the trees. Still not sure whether we'll head west.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Any reason for Klosters vs higher elevation resorts likr Andernatt or Engelberg?
    Nope, just where I am

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    For this upcoming storm, it looks like freezing levels are high. New to euro skiing, so is Sunday likely to be the better day?

Massive storm and high freezing levels means whiteout skiing? So Sunday might mean better visibility:? Or are the levels low enough that tree skiing should still be good? Used to Colorado which never has freezing level problems.

Also, I'll be rolling solo, so if anyone wants to get out, I'd love to meet up! Anywhere within 2ish hours from Zurich.
    Sunday will surely be the better day, avy conditions to be seen...

Saturday will be tricky. Could be a great if it stays cold enough for trees below 2000m to be in play. Otherwise your stuck skiing blind in low angle alpine pastures.

I'll be out in western ch, but it's a lot more than 4 hrs from zuri.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm headed to CH in March. Is there a good gps cellphone app that you can use to access the excellent Swisstopo maps?

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    I'm headed to CH in March. Is there a good gps cellphone app that you can use to access the excellent Swisstopo maps?
    Swiss Map Mobile?
    https://shop.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/p...sMapMobile_Abo