Page 5 of 811 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet
    Yep.Two barreled gun the new lift..

To get the money to run the lift, Algana had to comply to cat a slope down from salati to bocchette.
    Rather nice if you like slopes, but there are
    now 1000x more people dropping in on the alagna side than before.

Lot of those people go up to P.Indren now too,crowding the old cabine and dropping down back to the gressoney side...At the christmastime the were such a characters goofing around...

The new lift is nice, but sadly the consequenses are not, for my opinion at least.
    yeah, i feared this new lift. went to alagna a few times last year just because i wanted to get all i could before they opened it. for the people of the town, it's going to mean a lot more buisness. that punta indren has such a low capacity in any case and def wouldn't be able to handle any more on the wknds.

to simpler times...

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    January 21st - the day I've scheduled some snowfall for the French Alps.
    Don't forget your nekkid woodoo dance...

Looks like we're going to get some...........(at least for the moment)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel4.html

Quote Originally Posted by cheesehead
    Looks like we're going to get some...........(at least for the moment)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel4.html
    I will light 2 candles tonight. 1, a votive for hope and prayers that snow will fall. The other, a repair candle, to get my rock skis ready.
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Bears in Slovakia are awakening early from hibernation. So are barmaids in Bavaria, unseasonably busy in outdoor beer gardens. Bushes are blooming in Austria, and skiers at snowless Bosnian resorts are chilling out in hotel pools.

Forgoing a White Christmas was one thing, but the utter absence of snow for weeks on end has many Europeans pining for what seems - so far, anyway - like the winter that wasn't. "Hope springs eternal," Austria's Kleine Zeitung newspaper headlined Tuesday over a photo of a lone snowflake.

The country's alpine ski slopes have plenty of white stuff, but Vienna and much of eastern Austria haven't had more than a dusting since early December.

Although temperatures have been dropping to near freezing overnight, warm air pumped up from the Azores has produced a string of sunny, balmy days ranging up to 12 C across much of the continent.

Belgium had its warmest Jan. 10 on record Monday, when the mercury peaked at 14 C in Brussels. Scores of people took to their terraces to soak up the sun, and others strolled along North Sea beaches.

It was even warmer - a touch under 16 C - in the southern Czech city of Ceske Budejovice on Saturday, the balmiest Jan. 8 recorded in 230 years.

In marked contrast, winter storms in some regions of northern Europe accounted for at least 17 deaths and left tens of thousands without power

In parts of the Czech Republic and neighbouring Slovakia, the springlike weather gave an early wakeup call to some brown bears, whose interrupted hibernation left them as grumpy as anyone roused early from a deep sleep. Naturalists warned that the testy animals were unlikely to fall back to sleep and could be dangerous later in the season.

Even corners of southern Europe, where winter is just a state of mind, have been affected. Months of mostly dry, sunny weather have brought drought conditions to parts of Portugal, parching farmland and leaving some reservoirs at 15 per cent of capacity.

The warmth has created unstable conditions in Romania's Carpathian Mountains and in Austria's Alps, where authorities raised the avalanche alert to its highest level.

Although most alpine ski centres had plenty of snow, poor conditions prompted World Cup organizers to cancel some events last weekend in southern Germany, where Bavaria's famed beer gardens opened for scores of thirsty visitors.

Skiers packed Bosnia's two best-known resorts, Mount Bjelasnica and Mount Jahorina. But with the slopes largely devoid of snow, most took long walks or relaxed in hotel pools and saunas.

"We go skiing once a year, and for us, lack of snow is the worst thing that can happen," Ignjat Markov, a student from Serbia, said in disgust. "We spent money to come here, and now we're playing cards."

Better cut down on those fossil fuels!
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

The computer models are going postal. (this map will change every 6 hours)
    This map ist one for printing and hanging it by the fireplace. (it WON'T be like it so do not hope for anything like this, but it's still nice to look at )

It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague
    The computer models are going postal. (this map will change every 6 hours)
    www.snow-forecast.com has totally wanked its crank.

damn i should be studying something else.
    I can not even guess what you mean. (although i have found out snow forecast is down and make assumptions according to it )

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Roo
    Better cut down on those fossil fuels!
    I would like to announce that during these days of no snow,
    I am full steam ahead on my Solar Power research.
    I plan to purchase a system for my apartment and/or the entire building.

But, this is not about global warming (patience please, I acknowledge that problem normally),
    it is about anti-cyclone. We have been cold all season, but dry! I am stuck in a high pressure system here that refuses all the moisture trying to get here and dump massive amount of SNOW. It's like a wall. I watch the sat image daily, and it is depressing. All of the white swirls come towards us, then hit an invisible wall, and slide to the North. Good for them, I guess.

This all started months ago. Normally, this is Leysin (at least my observations over the last 7 years)
    Sept = 1 snowfall, good for snowball fights, it melts after 3 days.
    Oct = 2 snowfalls, not much, just an announcement that winter is coming.
    Nov = 3-4 snowfalls, enough to open the mtn on top, and get the juices flowing. I've skied top to bottom in Nov, chest deep in 1998.
    Dec = normally sucks, for whatever reason.
    Jan = snow begins falling in regular intervals, sometimes alot, sometimes not, but there is snow out there every week or so.

This year:
    Sept = Oct = Nov = zero.
    Dec = 3 snowfalls totalling 1 meter maybe.
    Jan = zero so far.

Everyone, THINK SNOW! Please, I am begging.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst............ ...

s o m e t h i n g i s c h a n g i n ' u p t h e r e . . . . .

Slovakia's High Tatras claim to have 180cm of snow...??? Doesn't look like that much in the webcam though...

http://www.holidayinfo.sk/kamery.php...d=4&rg=1&odl=3

Anyway, I've just reserved flight to Milan yesterday. Will be in LaGrave in the end of February. I could have made an (almost) free trip to Tatras but made a decision to go to the Alps instead this time - because I've seen enough of the Tatras already (=10weeks combined in -03 & -04), and usually it's way more unsure to get real good snow there...so, for just a week's trip I speculated LaGrave/Serre area being much better bet!?

It's better start dumping soon in the Southern Alps...

Btw. Here (Southern Finland) we have had pure rain all the time, and temperatures around +5C...very strange. It should be the coldest time of the year! The (artificial) snow on the local minihills is almost gone. Skier's nightmare I would say: flat, grey, rainy, very windy and mild temperatures in the mid winter...
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 01-16-2005 at 05:33 AM.

edg and verb : I'll be in Alagna-Gressoney the next 2 weeks (just 1 week if the redbul is canceled, as the word goes). Drop a pm and let's have some (cheap italian) beers, at least if there's no snow I would have seen some internet guys made flesh...

Castor - you rolling thru La Grave later when it snows?

Quote Originally Posted by supercastor
    edg and verb : I'll be in Alagna-Gressoney the next 2 weeks (just 1 week if the redbul is canceled, as the word goes). Drop a pm and let's have some (cheap italian) beers, at least if there's no snow I would have seen some internet guys made flesh...
    d'you like menabrea beer?
    stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiehkevarri
    It's better start dumping soon in the Southern Alps...

Btw. Here (Southern Finland) we have had pure rain all the time, and temperatures around +5C...very strange. It should be the coldest time of the year! The (artificial) snow on the local minihills is almost gone. Skier's nightmare I would say: flat, grey, rainy, very windy and mild temperatures in the mid winter...
    I've been wondering what all that weather was doing to the Nordic countries.
    I watch it daily miss us and go towards them, for the last month at least.
    Our High Pressure system is battling every bit of weather back.
    Seems it might be for the good.
    Now, let it snow!
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Looks like Ullr's coming good...

re ^ my weatherman didn't have that on friday and said this a.m. that it "just appeared out of no where." hopefully more of this stuff starts appearing.

euro mags- any of you guys ever ski the stubai glacier area? any good? crowded? any info? thanks.

meteosuisse was the first to predict it last friday on its 11 AM release (I mean the first in the panel of forecast sites I follow). NO ONE ELSE saw it before, and most of other forecast gurus said "no hope" up to saturday morning when it was finally clear that meteosuisse's predictions were sound (well at least as predictions, I know....)
    so.... wait up to tomorrow, and then, if some snow appears, then it will be officially
    Meteosuisse - rest of the world 1-0.

MeteoSuisse rocks! It's my goto site.
    MeteoNews.ch is another good source too.

At 08h00 Tuesday, Leysin is currently windy and cloudy.
    This storm penetrated the other system that has been here awhile.
    Hopefully it pushes the high/dry pressure out of here and paves the way for snow now, and from future storms too.

Get the stoke going. My snow dance is paying off.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

8:58am Tues here in the Chartreuse mountains and it is snowing above about 1000 meters. It should make it over the Belledonne towards la Grave.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by davidof
    8:58am Tues here in the Chartreuse mountains and it is snowing above about 1000 meters. It should make it over the Belledonne towards la Grave.
    Thanks! this is soooooooooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    Thanks! this is soooooooooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
    Snow is getting heavier now, the weather seems to be moving up from the south-west. Take care off-piste this afternoon and tomorrow as the wind is quite strong. I would expect some avalanche activity, especially on n and e slopes. Esp. given that the surface was pretty hard on these aspects.

Have fun, I'm off to wax my skis.

may i join in ?

well this first wave will bring 20-30cm of snow maybe more in certain areas (cham ..). it wll hit the west best.
    the next wave will follow thursday /friday bringing more to the whole northern Alps.
    it won't stop snowing until sunday and may go on even further.
    The usual spots like Arlberg etc. should see more than 1m until Sunday.
    Avalanches will be an issue so stay on the groomed or deep in the forest.
    so who is going to la grave ? (not me unfortunately... )

this weather pattern could result in a decent coverage. so maybe im going down on the 27th-30th....