Page 2 of 811 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    still pretty darn scratchy out there unfortunately. snow-forecast.com got overloaded with hits recently after they forecasted a meter of snow. looks like we're not the only ones jones-ing.

I'll be grateful just to screech around the pistes in Alpe d'Huez and Serre Chevalier if it comes to it. A big storm on Friday/Saturday would be very welcome though.

Monday - western CH

The front that moved through over the weekend was too warm. Went thru the Jura on Sat around noon and Sunday at 5PM. At 1000+m it was +4 centigrade Sunday at 5 PM! We got pounded by rain in valleys, but the freezing level had to have been 1500+m Sunday late afternoon. Result was very wet snow ...for a great base. Pow may have started above 2000m.

I will see what snow-forecast.com reported, but I can tell you they were too optimistic over TOO large an area this weekend. I want to see if they down-graded their "results" maps based on actual snow fall totals.

litt
    Last edited by Lostinthetrees; 12-20-2004 at 01:37 PM.
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

LITT, superb job, thanks a lot. I got to stay in milan up to the 26th , so can only dream of more snow around the WE..... I know everything should have already been tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked and tracked in verb by now

Verb tooooo tracked out by now? Plenty more storms coming before April 20th!
    Last edited by Lostinthetrees; 12-20-2004 at 01:06 PM.
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up

I need to keep this bumped so I can see the long range weather maps. Cheers edg.

I can do better on the long range :

12 Hours :

24 Hours :

36 Hours :

48 Hours :

60 Hours :

72 Hours :

84 Hours :

96 Hours :

108 Hours :

120 Hours :

132 Hours :

144 Hours :

156 Hours :

To be honest I'd like a bit heavier snow, but more importantly some stabalization and sun would be nice

edg
    Last edited by edg; 12-22-2004 at 11:04 AM.
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Looks like continuous gentle snowfall from Xmas day for La Grave. Have to see how accurate that is. Hope the last big snowfall can stabilise a little between now and then.

Snow-forecast questions

Here's a question about snow-forecast maps. When they have say 10-15cm forecast for say the 108 period. Is it just for that period or is it somehow cumulative for that storm?

Looking at Lech, At I see 10-15 for 108, 120, and 132 out. So I'm wondering does that mean 30-45cm's for the three periods or just 10-15 once?

Liking the looks of that though. Seems to be tracking a bit more toward my neck of the woods than France. Keep it coming Ullr.

Keep these long term maps coming as well. Thanks edg!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Estimated snowfall in the 12 hour slot, I believe.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Bump and, oh. my. god. Sunday and Monday just got v. exciting. Unfortunately, with freezing levels that low, the roads are also going to be friggin' chaos. Tuesday afternoon, I'm gonna rip the shit out of that high (And have places planned for snowy times, wohoo!)

edg

Holly snickies!!!!! Don't know what that means, but looking at Sunday-Monday's forecast made me jump up and down a few times. The Sugar Daddy's are gonna have some fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks edg!

No problem! Les Arcs projected culumutative snowfall : >50cm; Les Arcs last snowfall : >100cm; Edg : >ecstatic. Really pissed that my skis aren't going to arrive in time now I'd prefer the ol' 120-81-109 to 106-72-98, even if it isn't super fat

edg

Quote Originally Posted by edg
    Bump and, oh. my. god. Sunday and Monday just got v. exciting. Unfortunately, with freezing levels that low, the roads are also going to be friggin' chaos.
    If you don't hear anything from me for a couple of weeks, send a search team looking for a SEAT Alhambra with no traction control that's fallen off the road on the way up to La Grave.

Arlberg: 65 -125cm new expected based on your above charts. Now I know that snow-forecast is notoriously optimistic, but they got around 80-100cm's in town apparently (based on different first hand reports) out of the last storm so this is fricken awesome. Unfortunately I will be down the road a ways at a rather flat place so now I'm hoping Ullr can hold one of these for when I actually get to St. Anton in Jan (ya, getting picky I know) Bring it! How am I supposed to sleep now?

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    If you don't hear anything from me for a couple of weeks, send a search team looking for a SEAT Alhambra with no traction control that's fallen off the road on the way up to La Grave.
    Will do. Have you got a Finnish one with a mustache?

edg

No, I shaved it yesterday.

The Mulletizer report from La Grave still sounds waaaay sketchy. Scary conditions at the mo.

Well the midnight model run on which snowforecast is based on shows heavy snow in italy, the new 6am one moves ist more to the west/north so france and switzerland should get more.
    ill try to do a more accurate forecast tomorrow, as the situation is really uncertain right now.
    I still have an eye on the Lötschental because i really want to go and right now it has the most snow at an makeable distnace from cologne.(strange enough engelberg doesn't look very good)
    BUT i am sure the next storm will bring at least 30-50cm in many parts of the western/southern (maybe reaching the northern slopes too) alps because the development looks pretty massive. the 6am run has intensified the mediteranean low even more.

edited mediteranean and im sure it is still wrong
    Last edited by subtle plague; 11-28-2008 at 07:48 AM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

So as to ease the snow-forecast strain, I now host the images on my server. If they seem out of date, goto http://the-edg.net/maps/getmaps.php, then it will reload all of the images

edg

edg,

linky no worky. Or rather, the link takes me to a page where the maps are listed, but you can't click on anything?

Quote Originally Posted by comish
    edg,

linky no worky. Or rather, the link takes me to a page where the maps are listed, but you can't click on anything?
    The maps are on the previous page (where they were before), that link just downloads the latest maps

edg

Cool. Me not so smart.

New maps and a stabilising snowpack! Avalanche risk, as reported by Les Arcs, has been 3, until today where it is 2! Lets hope the next storm consolidates a bit quicker (it's going to have a smaller snowfall total), so we can all have a bit of fun

edg

It appears they've changed their minds again... Less sharp snow, but more over a 5 day or so period. Not a happy bunny in one sense, very happy in another...

edg

edg - has the change to '05 scuppered your map reloading facility?