Page 10 of 822 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by edg
    Just got back from Gressoney + Cham (left cham this morning, gress yesterday).
    edg, I'm just curious, red bull is scheduled for the next week in Gress..... how many chances to have a decent snow? It has been snowing for 2 days in NE italy but (as far as I can understand) not a drop in NW

teh warming could bring lots of snow to the southern alps.(due to the sourthern flow component)
    BUT i hope they dont't get any because that would mean the airflow would stay northernly
    sorry verbier.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    edg, I'm just curious, red bull is scheduled for the next week in Gress..... how many chances to have a decent snow? It has been snowing for 2 days in NE italy but (as far as I can understand) not a drop in NW
    I wouldn't say things are looking good. I suppose the couloir skiing would be pretty good if the snow warms up before the competition, but you'd be suicidal to be hucking and doing shady couloirs at the moment...

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

LaGrave

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague
    oh oh, patteren change in the long term?
    the next week will stay good but it seems that march could bring back W/SW winds and mild temps.
    let us hope ULLr will correct the long range forecast again or the next weekend could be the last good one (except at 2000m+) for a while.
    cross your fingers !
    As I am not a paying member of the snow-forecast.com site, I can only see on the "not so close up maps" that they have forecasted 25-50 cm of snow in the LaGrave area in the next 6 days. Do anyone have details about how the latter part of this week is shaping up? Will this snowfall come with the southwesterly wind Subtle plague is talking about? Is there a chance of this falling as rain? What is the most reliable snow forecast for that area IYO?

teh warming could bring lots of snow to the southern alps.(due to the sourthern flow component)
    BUT i hope they dont't get any because that would mean the airflow would stay northernly
    sorry verbier.
    uh... well I've done enough verbier this winter so if all of the shit will gravitate toward southern alps why not going finally to see what's up in alagna with the new lift

uh... well I've done enough verbier this winter so if all of the shit will gravitate toward southern alps why not going finally to see what's up in alagna with the new lift
    The one on the Alagna side that goes up to the Salati pass wasn't working so well when I was there. Massive queues, as they were only running one gondola, due to the second being repaired by mechanics who didn't seem too sure as to how the thing actually worked :-\ Might be fixed by now though :P

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

The one on the Alagna side that goes up to the Salati pass wasn't working so well when I was there. Massive queues, as they were only running one gondola, due to the second being repaired by mechanics who didn't seem too sure as to how the thing actually worked :-\ Might be fixed by now though :P

edg
    HA!!! massive queues same old alagna

HA!!! massive queues same old alagna
    What made it worse was going over to the Inderen and having to queue for about 40 minutes (I later found out it was due to the lift closing for an hour due to high winds). Add to that the icey-assed traverse over to the Aquila, it made for an interesting afternoon :P

edg

It's snowing in London. Is this relevent?
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Roo
    It's snowing in London.
    Get some!

SaAaH (and not really sure what "some" would be in this case...but I'm sure you and the hubby will think of something),
    d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

You can guarantee the whole city will shut down so skis may be the best way to go. Shame about the lack of gradient.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

It's puking out here. Not too much sticking. Apperently it's going to start to settle, and will be cold tonight so will stick about. The real snow is meant to be later in the week, however. Tomorrow/Wednesday night I'm going to up to Box Hill for some torch-light skiing, most likely.

edg
    Last edited by edg; 02-21-2005 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Can't type, it would seem.

It stopped but is coming down again. I got a little movie of the snow earlier. Didn't come out so well, but it gives an impression

Snow in London

It's *much* harder ATM... can't wait

edg

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Roo
    It's snowing in London. Is this relevent?
    Get it while you can.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

It stopped but is coming down again. I got a little movie of the snow earlier. Didn't come out so well, but it gives an impression

Snow in London

It's *much* harder ATM... can't wait

edg
    Nice.......gotta love London in the snow.......i miss that city oh so much......take out the skis and do a lil urban jibbing.....you are sure to get a ton of looks

Thursday 03 March 05 about 17h00.
    The weather is changing.
    System moving in.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

yeah but only in the west...
    the next week looks promisisng though

Quote Originally Posted by TeleAl
    Thursday 03 March 05 about 17h00.
    The weather is changing.
    System moving in.
    Bollocks... Only system that moves there is a 10week anticyclone.

If NW italy has been devoid of snow for the last 9weeks, why would anything change now?

Monte Rosa has been literally like a skating rink for the last two months, they even had to cancel the RedBull comp there, due to the "hard" conditions..

9 days and counting...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet
    Bollocks... Only system that moves there is a 10week anticyclone.

If NW italy has been devoid of snow for the last 9weeks, why would anything change now?

Monte Rosa has been literally like a skating rink for the last two months, they even had to cancel the RedBull comp there, due to the "hard" conditions..

9 days and counting...
    ummm....who gives a rat's ass about italy?

adjust your plans accordingly.....

Sat image showing this system coming from Mediterrean.
    Plus, there is another huge blob of white on the Atlantic that wants to push in.

Either way, the weather here, and across the Alps as far as I could see from 3000m, was full of change.

Sorry about Italy. May it, and all of us, get some snow!
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    ummm....who gives a rat's ass about italy?

adjust your plans accordingly.....
    right on.
    north is where it's at !

im not sure where to go.......engelberg or krippenstein.
    short/medium term favours engelberg.
    downside: it wont stop and engelberg does not really rock with zero visibility.

P.S. punish chomsky !!! i will never finish that godamn paper..... chomsly ill get you someday and give YOU a good dose of HEAD MOVEMENT !

right on.
    north is where it's at !

im not sure where to go.......engelberg or krippenstein.
    short/medium term favours engelberg.
    This is litt checking in from the Darkside...

West is where it is at.

Predictions:
    MeteoSuisse/Landi - Suisse Romande (PDS, Alpes Vaud) and Jura will be on the receiving end for the next 3 -4 days.
    Sno4kast - Draw a circle w/ 100k diameter with the center at Mont Blanc. That is where the bulk is predicted to fall. Extreme Western Italy is included, too. There is a big snowfall gap painted into central CH and central Italy. Engelberg is included and on the losing end.

But who can tell, Sno4kast maps have changed the snowfall locations and 20 - 30cm plus or minus every day.

As Teleal wrote, there are 2 major systems creeping their way into the center of Europe. Take a look at the sat images for the last 24 hours. It looks like we could be in for 6 - 7 days of snowfall if these collide and stall out over the Alpes.

Follow the snow. Travel light and stay flexible.
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

FWIW, we just got in milan the biggest snow I can remember in - say - 15 years: 13 cm. Again, nothing at all in the monterosa area. They have no more tears to cry

We didn't get shit.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

cham gets it this weekend.
    engelberg from sun/monday on.
    and the rest is not certain.
    there WILL be a northern circulation. but where the moisture will be is not sure.
    i just dont know.
    the problem with engelberg is the lack of treeskiing possibilities.