Talking TR: HelmetCast 24/Marcus Blows his Knee

Date: Jan-Feb 2011
    Featuring: Jake Kirshner, Kyle Wehmanen, Brady Newton, Nik Aksamit, Marcus Tofanelli & Erin Bragg

Two Qualities:
    High-Res

Super High-Res
    http://www.jakecast.com/helmetcast/helmetCast24.m4v
    (right click > save target as...)

Really fun skiing late January/Feb with a sad ending from last Saturday...

Hope (the first part) gets you stoked-
    Jake

Nice lines in the vid. Sucks about the knee though.

Pretty sick hits in there, really love the stompage! Sucks your buddy got hurt on such a fun session. I did the same thing Jan. 19th, Full acl, partial mcl, hopefully not the rest but I'll find out soon. Vibes and keep yer head up, marcus. At least you were doing your best, having fun, sending it with friends. Always good that when shit happens your buddies are there to help out and keep your spirits up.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Lyrics in the song 'bout sum it up: you're doing everything I would if I could (regarding the amplitude of huckage, anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Pretty sick hits in there, really love the stompage! Sucks your buddy got hurt on such a fun session. I did the same thing Jan. 19th, Full acl, partial mcl, hopefully not the rest but I'll find out soon. Vibes and keep yer head up, marcus. At least you were doing your best, having fun, sending it with friends. Always good that when shit happens your buddies are there to help out and keep your spirits up.
    bummer dude! did the doctor give you an eta on prehab/rehab? we are all assuming marcus is done for the season, but we are wondering how bad it will be over summer for biking/next fall. he has only had one meeting at the ortho center so it is a bit of a mystery...
    hopefully you are back after it soon. injuries suck.

Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    Lyrics in the song 'bout sum it up: you're doing everything I would if I could (regarding the amplitude of huckage, anyway)
    haha, thanks, that's how i feel when i watch a lot of the videos out of tgr video portal and the wasatch these days. insane to see some of the stuff thrown down these days...

glad you guys liked the video, another one soon maybe, hopefully without the downer of an ending

Hey Jake. The docs will want full knee extension before they will operate. I had to do a bunch of gay p.t. stuff to get there, along with spinning around on the bike for a couple 10-20 minute sessions a day. I was really worried the first few days, really gimped out. After about 3 1/2 weeks I could walk normally with full extension. Now after 5 weeks I feel amazingly normal getting around aside from random swelling issues depending on activity. I won't try and ski though, especially with the mcl damage that went with mine. That part of the injury just makes your knee that much more vulnerable. All I know is when I tried to make one simple directional change on my skis after my wreck, my knee folded comletely backwards and I never want to experience that pain again.

My surgery is in 2 days, and I am gonna try really hard to get up to singletrack shape asap. Luckily I am a biker too and have this as a tool and and incentive to get better quick. I know some other people here, strong athletes, that were under doc's orders, no singletrack for like 5 months. One buddy of mine was biking moderate singletrack in 3 or 4 I believe. I am just going to ride IMBA sanctioned, 36 inch wide, xc homo, weekend warrior/spandex trails () for a while (July Hopefully) before I get back into hike a bike/downhill oriented riding, which I can only hope will be reasonable by late August/early September. The docs just really don't want you snapping the new Acl when you bail off yer bike and put a foot down to save yourself.

As far as meniscus issue goes, protect that shit as best you can between now and surgery because damage to that area can be more problematic. Wishing the best to Marcus, maybe we can have a gimp sprocket rocket summit at some point.

Lookin forward to more sweet helmet cam, that shit keeps me sane. SLAY!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Solid footy Jake. Loved every second of it especially all the different perspectives and terrain. Bummer about your friend though, that really sucks.