Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth Mini

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Ah, young grasshopper, there is more to the Mini than (just) skiing (and Riding).
    Some have been known to spend their whole time at "the Beach"...

There's more to the mini than just skiing? j/k. I thought that was the case and I tossed around the idea about rolling up with no ACL's. The only thing is I'd have to bring my daughter and my partying will also be neutered. I would basically be a boring gimp former inbounds Jong. I'm sure you need more of those hanging at the mini.

I'm interested in this beach you speak of

New lift served hours for the Mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowboard247
    Effective 5/9/11

Lift hours will change to 8am-3pm daily

Broadway Express (Chair 1)
    Stump Alley Express (Chair 2)
    Face Lift Express (Chair 3)
    Thunder Bound Express (Chair 6) (10am opening)
    Discovery Chair (Chair 11) (9am opening)
    Lower Panorama Gondola (G1)
    Upper Panorama Gondola (G2)

hey can anyone in the area this weekend roll by Scenic Loop and get some campground beta?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anyone been out on the "scenic loop" road recently? Totally snow-covered, or accessible for camping?
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    hey can anyone in the area this weekend roll by Scenic Loop and get some campground beta?
    As of last weekend, there was still lots of snow on the scenic loop. I didn't look too carefully but it seemed like the pullouts for cars along the road were dry, and it looked like there might be some dry ground next to them to pitch a tent. However, I don't think you'll be finding anything resembling a large campground to use. Still, I think you might be able to swing getting a parking spot and pitching a small tent. Also, it might melt out quite a bit more by next weekend.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    As of last weekend, there was still lots of snow on the scenic loop. I didn't look too carefully but it seemed like the pullouts for cars along the road were dry, and it looked like there might be some dry ground next to them to pitch a tent. However, I don't think you'll be finding anything resembling a large campground to use. Still, I think you might be able to swing getting a parking spot and pitching a small tent. Also, it might melt out quite a bit more by next weekend.
    Dry enough to pull a car completely off the road a ways? Or more like just barely enough room to park a car off the pavement, and no more?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

hmmm the key is whether any of the FS roads actually go anywhere. We had a huge spot last year that was just a little over a mile from 395 on the north side of Scenic Loop - and all Scenic Loop didn't look too promising at that time but we still found a great site.

If the geotherm area is off limits, I wonder if Laurel CG is melted out.

Hope we find something - it's just not the same without a Ft. at which to congregate. Who is heading up this weekend?

Will trade campsite beta for beer!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I'll go look in a few minutes.

My buddy runs TPR and went up last Sunday to survey the site. CalTrans had plowed to the green bridge, just before Ellery Lake. He said he could only find 3 of the ten buildings. Tons of snow up there.

If anyone needs BAF coupons let me know. I have a bunch left.

The mountain is in great shape. It has been getting a little slushy but that should all change after this weekend.

Laurel is melted out but Sherwin Creek Rd. doesn't go through yet. The road is closed at Sherwin Creek Campground, also closed, and there is an eight foot berm just past the moto track.

The loop is stuffed with snow and no road goes in further than fifty feet unless you want to camp just off of 395. It'll be warm tomorrow but supposed to be cold Sunday and Monday. If it warms up next week you mat get lucky but I highly doubt it.

Last weekend there were quite a few RV's camping just north of the Geothermal Plant just before the first gun range. I went up to the second shooting range and there was no snow. I'm sure you can find a spot to camp out there or off of Sherwin Creek Road . There is also not much snow on the other side of 395 by the snowmobile tunnel. Take the loop road on the east side of the highway and follow the powerline road south, once you see the tunnel take a left and follow that to the open pumice meadow. Not sure if it's legal but it's NF land so you should be fine. You should also look into Big Springs campground.

Earlier this season I camped out by the geothermal plant and did not see any signs. I made a right at the end of the road (were you go left to get to the plant.) There were a lot of options, but I didn't see any place large enough for a fort, but I didn't look, I just parked and camped solo for the night.

There is a lot of open area on the east side of 395, just north of the 203 turn off that I have camped before. There is a whole network of roads over there, and could be another option, but is getting a bit further out of town.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Earlier this season I camped out by the geothermal plant and did not see any signs. I made a right at the end of the road (were you go left to get to the plant.) There were a lot of options, but I didn't see any place large enough for a fort, but I didn't look, I just parked and camped solo for the night.

There is a lot of open area on the east side of 395, just north of the 203 turn off that I have camped before. There is a whole network of roads over there, and could be another option, but is getting a bit further out of town.
    Looking at Google sat imagery, it looks like there might be some clearings north of the power plant on Antelope Springs Road?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^^^Yes, there are a lot of roads through that area and also south of the plant, it is mostly just finding a place flat enough, and easily accessible to cars, far enough away from 395 not to be too noisy.

Somebody next week is just going to have to find a place and post up the map.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I thought someone said they'd posted "no camping" signs by the geo plant? Across 395 works for FKNA. We did that one year -sorta.

Who of the camping contingent is getting there first? I'll be arriving Thursday early evening. It would bs good if someone gets there first and posts here telling others where to go.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Mrs. C. and I are arriving Friday evening, probably around 6-7 PM. Like Sinecure said, hopefully whoever gets there on Thursday will post directions to Ft. FKNA then.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

BSS Guest
    Guys I'm driving down tomorrow to ski scouting for likely spots. I'll post an update on the past sites we've used, but a week or so ago they were all WAY buried except the geothermal spot which I guess may end up still having those no camping signs.

I also know of a KILLER secluded (not viewable from any road) group site with a view of the entire valley out by Hot Creek, but I forgot a little stretch (maybe 50ft) of it is 4WD mandatory to get there. Id say it's big enough for 6-8 cars/trucks camping. If anybody who knows me wants directions just PM me but I'd really rather not make it public.

I'll likely be arriving for the mini late morning on friday. Nice to see so many folks gonna show up!

Oh and I'm bringing like three cases of Coors from my distributor buddy.
    Last edited by BSS; 05-06-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity POW View Post
    There's more to the mini than just skiing? j/k. I thought that was the case and I tossed around the idea about rolling up with no ACL's. The only thing is I'd have to bring my daughter and my partying will also be neutered. I would basically be a boring gimp former inbounds Jong. I'm sure you need more of those hanging at the mini.

I'm interested in this beach you speak of
    It would still be good if you can make it. The beach is the area in front of The Mill. It is where all the gimps hang out and drink beer (as well as everybody else). Let us hope the weather is warmer then last year for handin' at the beach. Last year I just cruised groomers, and nobody laughed at me. A couple minis ago Spritey gimped her knee and hung at the beach, so precedents have been set.

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    Guys I'm driving down tomorrow to ski scouting for likely spots. I'll post an update on the past sites we've used, but a week or so ago they were all WAY buried except the geothermal spot which I guess may end up still having those no camping signs.

I also know of a KILLER secluded (not viewable from any road) group site with a view of the entire valley out by Hot Creek, but I forgot a little stretch (maybe 50ft) of it is 4WD mandatory to get there. Id say it's big enough for 6-8 cars/trucks camping. If anybody who knows me wants directions just PM me but I'd really rather not make it public.

If McPoser shows up, he can clear in a flash.

I don't know where the fort was near 395, so I don't know if there are signs there. I camped a couple hundred yards down the road to the south, and did not see signs there.

iscariot

There's a crew of gimps that hang at the beach? Nice. This would be a done deal already if I had 1 ACL or was rolling without my 3 yr old. I have an MRI Monday on my left knee to see what's going on there and then a follow up Wednesday. Maybe he'll suggest I slowboard when I ask him if I can ski next weekend

BSS Guest
    The site we used last year (down from Inyo Craters Rd.) still has a few patches of snow 8-10" deep in the roadway but I'm pretty confident they'll be all melted off by later this week. The road should definitely be passable by car regardless. I was able to get in there in 2wd no problem and broke most of the snow up anyways. The geothermal site is now free of no camping signage, so that's another option, but for some reason it seemed like that particular area had been getting a lot of traffic lately. Probably best to stay out on the loop road IMO.

BSS ,How was the snow level @ the actual site we used last year?

for those camping next weekend, bring yr 4 season tents as theweekend is looking like it's going to be "interesting" weather wise:

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy and breezy, with a low around 30.

Friday: A slight chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 56.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy and breezy, with a low around 29.

Saturday: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 48.

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    The site we used last year (down from Inyo Craters Rd.) still has a few patches of snow 8-10" deep in the roadway but I'm pretty confident they'll be all melted off by later this week. The road should definitely be passable by car regardless. I was able to get in there in 2wd no problem and broke most of the snow up anyways.
    dude that is great news. That site was great, I remember it being well drained too so not too many mudpiles etc. We should definitely try for that site.

cdlv, I only have a 3-season tent. Are you saying I have to build another one of these?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

tent fail

Tioga Road is plowed to Tioga Lake. Should be at the gate by this weekend. Heading up there this week once the weather settles to "work" at TPR.

Skied Mammoth Thursday and Friday and Powerhouse Chutes yesterday. Mammoth had perfect spring conditions both days, and Powerhouse was really nice corn the whole way, with snow all the way down to the power plant. We saw plows moving some serious snow on Tioga Road.

Here's a few pics from Mammoth, I'll post a Powerhouse TR separately.

Good news on the fort site, progress on Tioga and overall spring conditions, but a little sketchy on the weather.

iscariot

If anyone could give me an idea where I can find some 2 for 1 mammoth vouchers, or are they all gone? I picked up the 3 day 129$ deal but my friend missed out. Unfortunately we will not be making to the mini but we will be there for the 4th.

^ 2nd that, could use a 2 for 1 voucher!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell