Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    ...those skis sound like white dots...
    Yep, that must be them. Hella stiff, I heard?
    http://www.whitedotusa.com/whitedot/...3/IMG_0422.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    Will marmite keep snow from sticking to my topsheets?
    Well, some would say it's not much good for anything else...
    However, we're core. We're onto the Marmite XO (Extra Old).

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

What is that, like a cross between marmalade and vegemite? With a fine dappling of old beer yeast thrown in for good measure?

Sounds like the perfect thing at Ft. FKNA to accompany bacon infused vodka. (Ahem, a certain someone, ahem)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Mammoth got hit with a pretty good storm today. Only the lower mountain was open, but 22 spun all day, and the avi chutes were deep all day with free refills.

I had a fun little moment if panic when I dropped avi 1 in a near white out, and big shooting cracks broke loose a decent slab. I could see shit, and was all alone. I just waited and tried to determine if I was moving or not. Turned out I wasn't, but was committed so drop and knocked a bunch of little slabs and sloughs with each turn...fun times when all alone. The point of this is were are going to have an epic mini snow wise, especially if the right amount of alcohol shows up an the fort.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

BSS Guest
    I'm in

Saddly, I will be in Kansas City visiting my Grandma and Father the 13-15th...Memorial Day (or any other time other than May 13-15) works for me, and if anyone want to hang out on the holiday let me know, I will bring my usual assortment of drink concoctions and whippets--send me a pm and can work on specifics and arrangements...

Anyboy around this weekend (April 9-10) we will be at Mammoth as well...been playing ghost lately here on TGR and at Baldy (great season) and visits to Mamoth where I have not been meeting up with anyone...time for me to get a bit more social again I think...

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

Yeah!! Will be there (and Memorial Day Weekend too)!
    The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

boo
    yaa
    !
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post

Well, some would say it's not much good for anything else...
    However, we're core. We're onto the Marmite XO (Extra Old).
    Not good for anything else? That shit is like the best stuff in the world. I have been out of Marmite for over six months now and every time I good to World Market to get some they are out of stock!!! Is XO for real? Like double strength? Yum.

Bacon, shenanigans and a deep snow pack. Damn, I'm gonna miss some good times.

This weekend was kind of a mixed bag. The pow was nice and light, and pretty deep. Unfortunately it came in too cold, and did not bond to anything steep. By Saturday, the bowl areas of the top had nice pow, but the steep stuff was VERY crusty. I went into Philippe's on Saturday, hoping it faces enough north that it would not have gotten slushy/frozen. It had, and I was making survival turns down it. It was crustier than I have ever skied it. I won't go back there until it either gets slushy, which would be fun, or gets some snow which bonds. Huevos was super crusty, with all the snow having slid off. Underneath Huevos was nice, but the top part was bulletproof. I had an interesting entrance to say the least. Like Philippe's, I won't go back in there until it gets warm, or we get wet snow. I hiked up to the TOTW, and looked down Serbe's(I think, I get them confused), but that looked like a thin layer of a few light inches on top of crust. I did not like the idea of slipping through the choke and trying to stop on a crusty layer. MJB's was better than some of the other stuff, but still was extremely crusty. Hangman's had a bit of snow, but was crusty underneath. I did the traverse in a couple of times, which now drops you way down. I decided to climb up to the very top, on the skier's right, hoping it was better. It wasn't, there were a couple of inches of light stuff on top of crust, making the turns not all that much fun. The more north facing aspects of the noids were a tiny bit better, but not much. The top was still a bit of light snow on a very crusty layer. I saw someone ski Varmit's on Sunday, and it looke the same as the rest of the top, with a couple of light inches on a crusty layer. Watching him pick his way through the top did not inspire me to go in there.

I skied Saturday and Sunday, so the top could have been good on Friday when it originally opened, by this snow was so cold that I doubt it would have bonded with the stuff underneath. My guess is everything steep slid even then.

I guess I should not complain, as I did get some deep turns under Huevos/TOTW, and on Saturday afternoon I had fun in the avy chutes, but there is a hard crusty layer on the steep areas up top, areas (like Philippe's) that usually stay wintery even when the more south facing aspects of the noids turn to slush. Anyone going up there should be aware that without new snow, or a warm cycle, the steeps up top will not be fun.

The good new is that Hangman's and MJB's have lots of snow, as do the Paranoids. It should take a long time for that stuff to melt out, which will mean lots of fun slush turns when things get warm.

Of course, by the time the mini comes around things should be in full on spring mode. The crusty layer will probably not be an issue. There is a deep base, so things should really be nice if it is warm. I wish I could make it, I have an Actuary exam on May 18, so I won't be up until the following weekend.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Friday was fairly heavy snow and it didn't ski deep. On flatter slopes like Chair 3 and the bottom of the Chair 23 terrain, I didn't hit bottom. Steeper areas were mixed. Hangman's was very firm up top but great in the runout. I could tell that TOTW was very thin and probably too dangerous to ski. Paranoid 2 was nice and consistently deep. Dragon's Tail was about a foot deep, but some spots had nothing. Star Chute was actually the run of the day with at least 1.5 feet of powder and I never hit the bottom. Last run of the day was Huevos, which was survival sideslipping for 200 feet in flat light. It was actually pure ice.

Saturday was super light snow with no wind; a rarity for Mammoth, especially in April. I had a friend fall and dislocate a shoulder on his first run down Hangman's, as the firm top part hadn't been sufficiently covered. I decided to go to the backside and set the bootpack up Hemlock (even before patrol). To my amazement, Hemlock was about 3 feet of blower powder. I was just in a cloud for the entire run. I did two more laps there before moving over to the front side. For the most part, the very top of the runs were scratchy, but the cut up powder below was really nice and soft.

On Sunday, we got a late start and decided to hike the Sherwins. We skied the lookers left branch of the Main Avy Path, which was slightly sun-affected powder. There was somewhat of a crust lower down, but nothing difficult to ski.

Can't make it to the mini, wish I could, but if anyone needs a Bring a friend discount let me know. I think I have like 4 left to give out.. Not the best deal, but think it brings the lift ticket prices down to $58 or something. Or does the mountain sell cheaper tickets during this time of year?

[QUOTE=Skeeze;3239748] Star Chute was actually the run of the day with at least 1.5 feet of powder and I never hit the bottom.
    [QUOTE]

How did you get in? Did you go in from the top, or do the traverse around? On Saturday the traverse did not look good, it looked icy and strange, and like you had to drop down it at a 45 degree angle, as opposed to perpedicular to the slope. I had hoped to hit it this weekend, but after survival turning down Philippe's on Saturday I wanted no part of it.

I'm assuming you mean Kiwi Flat, which I always call Star Chute, and not the actual Star Chute. Sorry to be stupid that way, I really should get the names right. The actual Star Chute area was awesome on Saturday, just blower pow.

That sucks about your buddy hurting his shoulder. It does not surprise me though. Skiing Philppe's like that definitely put a scare into me.

I wanted to hit Hemlock on Saturday afternoon, but the clouds came in, so I dropped down to the avy chute area. Glad it was so deep back there. The avy chutes were actually good on Saturday afternoon, with cut up pow and some wind blown snow, you just had to stay over your feet because of the occasional ice patches. The area to skiers right of the avis, I'm not sure what it is, but it drops you down through the trees, you come out near the Canyon lift(as it is passing over you, not the bottom of Canyon) was DEEP.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 04-11-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I actually meant the real Star Chute area. Without knowing what conditions will be like, I'm not willing to try Kiwi. I traversed around Scooter Pie to get there (which was awful) so no hiking required from 12/13.

Hemlock on Saturday was bliss.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I actually meant the real Star Chute area. Without knowing what conditions will be like, I'm not willing to try Kiwi.12/13.
    I don't blame you. I really wanted to get in there this year, but I did not get the right day. Unless we get really lucky I don't think I will get in there.

I've always wished Kiwi were a bit more like Squaw's Palisades, a 15 minute hike, but a very direct entrance.

Deep, light and fluffy pow was to be had any place that wasn't super steep. Everything at the top of Lincoln was icy, but once in the chutes or trees it was great Thursday, Friday and Saturday (but there were a few ice patches as mentioned.) I stayed lower and in the trees on Saturday and had great turns all morning off 14. 6% snow is great by Mammoth standards. The ice layer underneath everything is a factor for the entrances for all the steep runs, but spring corn should becoming, and then all those runs should be fun well into June if not July.

Let's just hope we don't have the arctic blast we had last year.

All the previous Ft FKNA's are still deeply buried, but things are melting fast, so we will have to wait and see. The last resort is out by the geothermal plant which is well melted out.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

last i was near the geothermal plant LA water district had put no camping signs up all over the place.

Did anyone ski yesterday?

I'm hearing good things about the storm/wind combo. Supposedly it buffed things up well, which could mean the steeps will be back in play. I only heard that Paranoids and the Droupouts were good, so I don't know about hangers/mjbs/philippe's, but it would be great to hear a report if someone was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Did anyone ski yesterday?

I'm hearing good things about the storm/wind combo. Supposedly it buffed things up well, which could mean the steeps will be back in play. I only heard that Paranoids and the Droupouts were good, so I don't know about hangers/mjbs/philippe's, but it would be great to hear a report if someone was there.
    The sneaker powder day saturday covered a lot of the ice layer on the upper mountain if that's what you are worried about.

I was out there yesterday, lots of nice smooth buff where the wind deposited it. Lots of scour where the wind took it from. Bunch of people were in hangers/varmint/mjbs all day. Didn't want to wait for the person side slipping philippes to drop in myself so unsure how that was but was fine the days prior.
    If you french fry when you pizza you're going to have a bad time.

Fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck. I can't make this one. I've been unable to attend the last several for a variety of large, cumbersome and oppressive reasons. I really thought that this year was gogoing to be the year I could go again.

I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Saddly, I will be in Kansas City visiting my Grandma and Father the 13-15th...Memorial Day (or any other time other than May 13-15) works for me, and if anyone want to hang out on the holiday let me know, I will bring my usual assortment of drink concoctions and whippets--send me a pm and can work on specifics and arrangements...

Anyboy around this weekend (April 9-10) we will be at Mammoth as well...been playing ghost lately here on TGR and at Baldy (great season) and visits to Mamoth where I have not been meeting up with anyone...time for me to get a bit more social again I think...

peace,
    D.
    I'm trying to make it up there on Memorial Day weekend, too. Mini Mammoth Mini on Memorial Day weekend, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by asandygal View Post
    Yeah!! Will be there (and Memorial Day Weekend too)!
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Quote Originally Posted by jla415 View Post
    The sneaker powder day saturday covered a lot of the ice layer on the upper mountain if that's what you are worried about.

I was out there yesterday, lots of nice smooth buff where the wind deposited it. Lots of scour where the wind took it from. Bunch of people were in hangers/varmint/mjbs all day. Didn't want to wait for the person side slipping philippes to drop in myself so unsure how that was but was fine the days prior.
    I skied last Saturday/Sunday, and the steeps were very crusty/icy. The pow was fun, but the steep stuff was not. I skied Philippe's on Saturday, and it was crustier than I have ever seen it. I won't go back without some new snow(that sticks, the stuff last weekend did not) or slush. I skied Hangman's a few times last Sunday, and it was not great, crusty and firm up high, but good after the throat. Huevos was awful, but fun underneath.

Have you skied Philippe's in the last few days? If some of the snow stuck in there, that is good to know. I don't want to ski it the way it was on Saturday.

I'm glad people were lapping Hangers/Varmits, hopefully the wind smoothed things up in there, and covered the icy layer.

Thanks for the report. I am deciding whether or not to make a 3 am trip Saturday, or save it until next weekend.

Did you see anyone in Kiwi, or the top of the world? Those spots looked way too sketchy last weekend, with the crust layer. The traverse into Kiwi looked bad, so hopefully that changed.

Your info is much appreciated. I'm glad you had a good time.

The wind was blowing straight up top of the world and removed a bunch of the snow from last week so I don't think anyone will be in there for a while. Didn't really look at kiwi closely... Huevos was firm up top and smooth buff below.

There's good snow to be found but you need to poke around a bit
    If you french fry when you pizza you're going to have a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by jla415 View Post
    The wind was blowing straight up top of the world and removed a bunch of the snow from last week so I don't think anyone will be in there for a while. Didn't really look at kiwi closely... Huevos was firm up top and smooth buff below.

There's good snow to be found but you need to poke around a bit
    That's what I figured. The traverse into Kiwi looks all screwed up. Unless it changes I don't think it is in the cards for me. I can't really tell about coming in from the top.

Huevos was bullet proof last Saturday. I dropped in, and almost skidded out. I think I made 1 or two survival turns, and skidded a bunch down to the good snow. The snow underneath was insane though, super light, fluffy, and deep. It was that way Sunday too.

Thanks for the report. I always appreciate folks giving me an update.

This weekend was fun up high. Super slushy, and sticky down below, but the steeps were in good shape.

Huevos was as fun as I have seen it in a long time, I skied tons of laps in it. I also got in a couple of Chicken Balls laps, as TOTW was nice and slushy. I looked down Werner's, but did not hit it, which will bug me this summer. It looks doable, I will just have to look at it a few more times before I sack up. I'm a wuss, so it takes me at least 5-6 times of looking down something before I ski it.

While I was going around to the weaker lines, Chicken Balls and Huevos, my buddies hit some better stuff, Werner's, which looks doable(even for a wuss like me), and Serbe's, which scared the piss out of me. Serbe's is a seriously hectic line. While looking down Werner's made me think, "yeah, I can ski it, I just have to sack up," looking down Serbe's made me think "no fucking way!" It is a scary line, with some very critical turns and moves. It would be a VERY bad place to make a mistake.

We also took some laps in the Head Chutes. They were fun, but I broke off some solid wet slabs, which scared me. Be careful if you go in there, as one slide almost took me for a ride. Going down to chair 9 after the Head/Dragon area sucks, very sticky and gluey.

If the freeze/thaw pattern really gets going, things should be great for the mini. It looks like anyone going will have a great time. The coverage should still be awesome. I think Mammoth even got some more snow yesterday.

EDIT: If anyone wants an MVP pass, they are 81% sold out. I would jump on it if you want one.

Arrow TONIGHT (4/20) IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO GET THE $43 LIFT TIX...

I think YogaChik started a seperate thread, but you only have until midnight tonight to get the 3 Days of Spring Skiing for $129 offer.
    (The "buy" page seemed a bit glitchy. Wouldn't take my password. I asked for a new one, and then it worked ok)

http://depot.mammothmountain.com/943...&ref=aswebpage

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...