Water Island St Thomas???

Family is planning a vacay for January or February 2012. Have any of you ever fished in this area. Early research shows typical stuff like bones.

Thanks
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

I don't think there's a lot to catch.... I know the reef fish aren't safe to eat, but I don't do any fishing down there, so wtf do I know?!

I'm sure you'll manage to have a good time, though!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Never been to St. Thomas but spent lots of time in the bvi. Similar water I think??? Good numbers of reasonably large resident tarpon. Small numbers of bones but BIG when you find em! Typical flats water is not all over the place. It takes a sea worthy boat and a solid captain or someone who knows what they are doing to navigate from place to place when it comes to flats fishing. Shallow bays might be holding some bones by February???? Again, in the bvi they are not abundant in the shallow bays but they can grow large.

Depending on where you stay there could be some surf/beach fishing. Small reef sharks are fun! Deep sea sport fishing is good down there too if you're into it.

Never been to St. Thomas but spent lots of time in the bvi. Similar water I think??? Good numbers of reasonably large resident tarpon. Small numbers of bones but BIG when you find em! Typical flats water is not all over the place. It takes a sea worthy boat and a solid captain or someone who knows what they are doing to navigate from place to place when it comes to flats fishing. Shallow bays might be holding some bones by February???? Again, in the bvi they are not abundant in the shallow bays but they can grow large.

Depending on where you stay there could be some surf/beach fishing. Small reef sharks are fun! Deep sea sport fishing is good down there too if you're into it.

Apparently there are a couple bays on the main island that hold Tarpon. But other than that I may have to put in my .02 for another island. I would go crazy just sitting around on the beach. I need to be doing shit. Time to play with the ECDIS and find a island down there with lots of flats. I would love to hear of any spots that others could recommend for family and fishing.

You should bring a 10 wght and an 8, bonefish flies, poppers, barracuda flies and big deceivers. Some wire for short leaders for the toothy critters. On the south facing sand beach you could nail some bones at night and jacks all over. Water island is basically in the harbour of st. thomas, like a 5 minute boat ride. Coral there is super sharp and anything of size will head straight for the reef. Try a popper at night with the 10, if it's windy cast as far as you can downwind of the beach, throw some slack and let the wind take it as far as you can and do a rod-tip-in the water pop retrieve and hang on!

http://www.kaufmannsstreamborn.com/C...pers/FLYTREPO/

^^^^ that is pretty much what I do right now. I should be all set for gear then too.

Find a captain and go to Anegada. You may never leave. Other suggestions if you have access to a boat with a captain: Jost Van Dyke - some flats. Mangrove bays and some beach fishing. Cool place to explore with the fam. Tortola is fun to explore with the family as well. Never fished around the island. If you can get there....it's a long sail and a good clip on a power boat...hit Virgin Gorda. Around the east side of the North Sound has great fishing...around the corner from the Bitter End is where you wanna be. The south shore is Ok for fishing too.
    Last edited by schwerty; 02-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.