WWMD: tipping etiquette for cat skiing guide/driver?

I'm going on my first cat skiing trip (day trip) this week, and got a ridiculous bro deal for my seat.

Would hate to seem uncouth, and would like to keep everyone happy (hoping for future trips )...so, what's the rule of thumb for tipping when cat skiing? Do the guide and the driver get the same amount? What's an appropriate amount?

Of course, given that we're paying well under full price, I can be generous...but what's a good baseline?
    Last edited by dan_pdx; 02-21-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Based off one day trips...20 bucks a head goes a long way if the cat is full. Keep in mind that the tail guide is making way less than the lead guide. Take him out for a cheap burger dinner and beers. From my limited experience the tips get divided 3 ways unless there is a good owner in the mix who hooks up his staff instead. Have fun!!!
    Where ya going?

edit to add: be the guy who collects the tips at the end or during if everyone is pumped... If no-one steps forward and people tip seprately it sometimes ends up not working out too well for the staff.

On multi-day trips, we always discussed it amongst ourselves, but usually came up with $100 a head to be split between the guides and the cat driver.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I dunno, but I would probably recommend basing your tip on a percentage of the regular, non-bro price. What is the normal going rate for the product you're receiving?

Thanks for the input guys. The cat operation is Selkirk Powder Company, and it's a one-day trip, not multi-day. It sounds like we'll be doing lots of gladed trees and bowls, not so much the super-gnar cliff hucks, which is just fine by me.

The standard day rate is around $300/person for a single, less if you charter the whole cat.

Sounds to me that in these circumstances, around $40-$50 might be in the right ballpark...more if they need to actually, you know, save my life.

Jetski, thanks for that edit - good point and I'll keep it in mind.

Tip 100% unless total exceeds original value. ($300)

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. The cat operation is Selkirk Powder Company, and it's a one-day trip, not multi-day. It sounds like we'll be doing lots of gladed trees and bowls, not so much the super-gnar cliff hucks, which is just fine by me.

The standard day rate is around $300/person for a single, less if you charter the whole cat.

Sounds to me that in these circumstances, around $40-$50 might be in the right ballpark...more if they need to actually, you know, save my life.

Jetski, thanks for that edit - good point and I'll keep it in mind.
    15% at a minimum. Of the full boat amount. But.... if you don't want to be tight then buff the crew out. 25 to 35%. You are still psyched and get to feel like a King. The crew is psyched. Win. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.