Thread: Ski Tuning

Ski Tuning

I'm not sure where to put this but i was wondering if anyone in the southern NY area would be willing to help me out with basic ski repair. The forums online are helpful but I'm a complete noob so it would help to see someone in person. I'm also trying to figure out how to mount my bindings via a paper template and don't want to wreck my only pair of skis. Someone willing to show me the basics would be a real help

Southern NY is a big area- Southern as in NYC (eastern-since the rest of the state is Upstate NY) or Southern as in Southern Tier (I-86) Highway area (which goes from the PA State line all the way over 180 some miles past Binghamton, Catskills, etc.)

Alpine mount or tele? I am too far for your request being in WV but can help via online.

Big thing is to make sure everything is centered on the ski and lined up to either the boot mark on the ski or the center cord or CC mark on ski(mainly for a tele mount).

It helps sometimes to mark a line with a sharpie or pencil on the ski centerline for reference. You can then line up the paper template lines to those on the ski and get pretty darn close. Most templates have lines on the sides which can be used to help align the template as well.

Use a good center punch to mark the holes with a hard tap from the hammer.

Next big thing is when you drill your holes to do so straight into ski and tap the holes in the same manner. Jigs can be made for this at home consisting of a clamp and a block of wood or thick acrylic with a proper sized hole in it. The ski drill bit will make this task much easier. Buy one in either 3.5 or 4.1 for metal laminate skis.

Tap holes, use good quality glue or epoxy. I prefer epoxy slow cure. A #3 posi drive screw driver is a common tool and useful as the ski drill bit. Screw in binding to ski ensuring all is flush and level to the ski. Let setup over night. Go shred.
    watch out for snakes

Its an alpine look ZRS turntable mount. I'm in the Lower Hudson Valley/ NYC area. Thanks. Scottyb I'll probably send you a few pms when I get everything together and try it out. Any tips for making the jig out of wood? I have no idea where to even start.

You can practice on a 2x4, mount your bindings on the cheap wood and make your mistakes there.

Edit to add; Watch this video from Jondrums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYUaW...mbedded#at=383
    Last edited by scottyb; 02-22-2011 at 07:28 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Thanks. I'm at school now but in two weeks when I get back I'll try my hand at mounting the bindings on a piece of wood. Thanks again

there are people (that is- not shops) in the nyc area that do mounts for mags also. if you want to go that route- PM me and i can give you a name.