Small victory as "Japan suspends whaling, citing 'violent' disruptions"

http://www.grindtv.com/profile/pete+...rom+activists/

It appears that relentless harassment from activists and mounting opposition have combined to bring Japanese whaling in the Southern Ocean to an early halt.

But for how long?

Japan's Fisheries Agency has declared that the annual whaling mission in Antarctic waters has been suspended, several weeks before it typically concludes. The agency cited "violent" disruptions credited to the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, which is in its seventh season of campaigning against the whalers.

However, it is not clear how long the suspension will last.

The factory processing ship, Nisshin Maru, is steaming from the whaling grounds toward Drake's Passage near the tip of South America. It's being tailed by the Sea Shepherd vessel, Bob Barker.

Sea Shepherd Capt. Paul Watson, who is aboard the Bob Barker, issued a statement Wednesday that began: "I think it is premature to see this as a victory for the whales yet. There has been no mention of how long this suspension will be. It could be permanent, for this season only, or it could be for a matter of weeks or even days.

"What we do know is that the whalers will not be killing any whales for the next few weeks."

The whaling fleet also consists of three harpoon vessels. One has left the hunting grounds because of mechanical issues. The others are useless without the ability to offload whales onto a factory ship.

If this season's hunt is over, Japan has again fallen significantly short of its annual quota of 935 minke whales and 50 fin whales.

Jubilation has spread among the environmental community. The Age, an Australian newspaper, quoted Patrick Ramage, director of the International Fund for Animal Welfare, as saying: "Under pressure from all fronts, the Japanese whaling fleet is apparently withdrawing early this season from the internationally recognized sanctuary around Antarctica.

"We hope this is a first sign of Japanese government decision makers recognizing there is no future for whaling in the 21st century and that responsible whale watching, the only genuinely sustainable use of whales, is now the best way forward for a great nation like Japan."

Japan, which claims whaling to be an important aspect of Japanese culture, hunts the leviathans annually despite a ban on imposed on commercial whaling in 1986 by the International Whaling Commission. The country has taken advantage of a "lethal research" loophole to skirt the ban, and says its hunts are for science.

Sea Shepherd activists, who this season have used three boats and smaller inflatable vessels (see photos), had accompanied the whalers since New Year's Eve. Their harassment techniques, which are controversial even among many opposed to whaling, involve throwing flares and stink bombs onto the whalers' decks, and throwing ropes to foul propellers.

The whalers, in a seemingly endless game of cat-and-mouse, often respond by shooting at the activists with water cannons.

Tatsuya Nakaoku, a Fisheries Agency official, told the Washington Post: "It's extremely regrettable that our research activity has been obstructed by the acts of sabotage, which could lead to serious injuries or damage. We hope to return to normal operation as soon as possible."

There have been no deaths or serious injuries attributed to the clashes, but they've become increasingly tense in recent years, and last year resulted in a collision that forced Sea Shepherd to scuttle the damaged boat. An independent investigation determined that the captains of both vessels were at fault.

Increased pressure from anti-whaling nations, including Australia and the United States, might also have factored into Japan's decision to quit early.

Japanese officials had, earlier this year, been in diplomatic talks with U.S. officials regarding the future of whaling. According to cables released by WikiLeaks, Japan had attempted to persuade the U.S. to punish Sea Shepherd by removing the nonprofit group's tax-exempt status as part of a compromise deal in which Japan would agree to reduce its quota.

The viability of the hunts have come into question in Japan. They're incredibly costly and demand for whale meat is shrinking, as fewer young people are inclined to eat whale flesh. Japan has remained steadfast, though, and has accused whaling opponents in the West of being hypocritical, claiming that minke whales are not endangered and that Western civilizations do their share of killing and eating animals.

The clashes between Sea Shepherd and the whalers have gained widespread exposure in recent years because of Animal Planet's "Whale Wars" series. A network film crew has again accompanied Sea Shepherd for a fourth season, and the series will air in early summer.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

About time! All their stubborn arguments are so much hot air.

Hope yellowfins last another 25 years....

I hate see those dumbasses on "whale wars" getting credit for this....
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    I hate see those dumbasses on "whale wars" getting credit for this....
    Happy for the whales, but I have to agree, it's amazing that ship of fools never capsized from an overload of stupidity.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    Happy for the whales, but I have to agree, it's amazing that ship of fools never capsized from an overload of stupidity.
    I think the good karma from what they were doing is the only thing that kept that group of crunchier than thou asshat trustafarians afloat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Now if we can get them to quit killing dolphins as well....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_drive_hunting
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Stopping the hunt is good, But I goto admit I love watching those asshats on whale wars Screw up Millions of dollars in equipment! What a bunch of Clowns.
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

bunch of bleeding heart liberals. Next you're going to want the seal hunt to stop as well. Just because you don't do something, doesn't mean that its wrong. Why don't we ban every sort of hunting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    bunch of bleeding heart liberals. Next you're going to want the seal hunt to stop as well. Just because you don't do something, doesn't mean that its wrong. Why don't we ban every sort of hunting?
    There are many sides to this conversation. For the moment, I will take the side the pretty much agrees with your comments. Why in this day and age, men need to hunt mammals is beyond me. We don't need to for food, warmth or shelter. So why? If you are such a bad ass hunter and need the thrill of the hunt, get a few like minded humans together and fucking hunt each other. That would put a little thrill in the hunt. But that will never happen as modern humans for the most part are cowards and will only hunt when the odds are heavily stacked in their favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    "Bleeding heart liberals" has nothing to do with it. You are either being augmentative, truly ignorant, or just plain stupid by making that statement.

You obviously have no empathy for these animals (which is your right). Of course, you mistakenly seem to think whales are exactly the same as over populated deer, or elk, or any other land herd animal, because of your inane correlation of hunting and a world wide ban.
    Terje was right.

gunit130 Guest
    Dude seriously-- are your Ctrl, C, and V buttons worn out yet?

to quote the article "a collision that forced Sea Shepherd to scuttle the damaged boat. "

just go right ahead and let the terrorist win Japan.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    to quote the article "a collision that forced Sea Shepherd to scuttle the damaged boat. "
    YEah, I think that was that Aussie batman boat. One of the better "FAIL" episodes.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    just go right ahead and let the terrorist win Japan.

Actually, Japan is being the terrorist. Japan blatantly disregards a INTERNATIONAL ban on whaling, under the LIE of research.
    Terje was right.

Internationally BANned by a toothless PR organization....

Whales and dolphins are beautiful and shouldn't be harvested for science or meat, but that is just my opinion (and the opinion of probably 75% of the world's population).

Do you eat Chilean sea bass or Atlantic Halibut or Sole? How about calling an exterminator for bees? Those are three less cuddly creatures that will probably be extinct long before whales or dolphins...no discovery channel show for them.

I enjoy delicious honey and white fish much more than seeing a whale once every 10 years....

"Ever wonder why landlocked nations such as Mali, Mongolia and Laos with no tradition of whaling are members of the International Whaling Commission (IWC)? According to Jun Morikawa, the Japanese government sponsors the membership of third-world countries in the IWC to boost support for Japan's pro-whaling initiatives. "

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100425a1.html

"A professor of environmental studies in Japan wrote in his book that Japan's whale-eating culture is an invented tradition, only lasting 20 years from the end of World War II to the early 1960s to augment Japanese school lunch programs during Japan's reconstruction."
    Terje was right.

"A professor of environmental studies in Japan wrote in his book that Japan's whale-eating culture is an invented tradition, only lasting 20 years from the end of World War II to the early 1960s to augment Japanese school lunch programs during Japan's reconstruction."

Wouldn't that make sense for a nation rebuilding? Trying to find the most inexpensive and "relatively" abundant (and large producing) source of food for a nation rocked by nuclear blasts?

Just playing devils advocate, This is some pretty good news.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Why in this day and age, men need to hunt mammals is beyond me. We don't need to for food, warmth or shelter.
    I gotta say (even tho I only eat wild game partly because douchebags who hate hunting but eat livestock are a bunch of hypocrite morons) I really have a great deal of respect for those with the self-discipline to go vegan. Respect to you, liv2ski.

As for the whale thing - lots of unicorn jockeys claim that violence isn't the answer. I beg to differ.

Never saw Whale Wars....

Minke whales are in no danger of extinction, Bluefin Tuna on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I gotta say (even tho I only eat wild game partly because douchebags who hate hunting but eat livestock are a bunch of hypocrite morons) I really have a great deal of respect for those with the self-discipline to go vegan. Respect to you, liv2ski.

As for the whale thing - lots of unicorn jockeys claim that violence isn't the answer. I beg to differ. Never saw Whale Wars....
    Jer, thanks for the props, but not to mislead anyone, my statement was why hunt mammals in this day and age. Ya, I am a fish and poultry dood and would understand if a family hunted wild game for food not sport. Whales and Dolphins are mammals and likely pretty damn smart too. If I had Bill Gates money, some Jap
    boats would be scuttled in port, as what they are doing is bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Here's the original whale wars thread. Tons of laughs in there.

I used to tune in just to see how close they'd get to sinking that week.
    I still call it The Jake.

Fuck you whales!!!!

Haha a few years ago in college the head whale whore was the keynote speaker at a sustainability conference on campus. Unfortunately for him the episode of south park had aired a week prior turning the the Q&A between he and students into pure hilarity. I don't think he was very happy.