TR - Russet to Wedgemount via North Face of Tremor

This trip is ill-advised. It's Ramona's birthday and I've been sick for a week. Have some drinks. Perhaps we'll hit the club until nearly 2 am and only sleep a couple of hours.

Nevermind all that, there is a big idea. Saturday: hangover, letdown, car shuttle, Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, Whistler, cheap lift tix and finally on the way to Russet Hut in a whiteout. Instinct gets us past Cowboy Ridge but no-compass no-GPS steeze let our wasted asses wander in the whiteout for two hours before we find the hut.

Sunday: it should still be dark but it's crystal clear and let's go, even if we're starting much too late!

Naomi and Eric approach Fissile-Whirlind Col. Andy is somewhere a ways down there, probably losing his shit worrying about all the bombs on Flute. The first few felt like scary settlements to me.

We take a quicker, low route below Overlord and ski some nice powder to the Fitzsimmons Glacier. It's a perfect day with terrific travel conditions. Andy skis toward Macbeth with Fitzsimmons and Overlord in the background.

Naomi skins toward the Macbeth Glacier - Naden Glacier col.

Do the reverse-Spearhead Hokey Pokey and we're finally almost to Tremor.

Andy tries to maximize his turns on the last short descent before Tremor.

Eric and I look down the west side of Tremor, but it looks beat and we have a long way to go. The North Face is on our way and plenty fun. Andy has never skied it.

Eric gets first tracks on the North Face of Tremor.

And it's good!

Now it's my turn.

It's fun the second time, too.

Andy has lots of fun with his sluff.

Below the North Face, it's time for an epic heli run. Naomi cuts the ribbon with Wedge in the distance.

Now we go really fast for 1000 m. Then we find ourselves at Wedge Creek. It's a bit late. That looks like a big mountain. Oh well, to Wedgemount we go!

Russet to Wedgemount via North Face of Tremor on SKISICKNESS

More to come....
    Last edited by Lani; 02-17-2011 at 11:13 AM.

As someone who's circumnavigated that little bump on the top of Flute in a whiteout while trying to get out to Cowboy Ridge i can relate. Looking forward to the rest

Lovely bags of sand, you make-eth.

CROSS-COUNTRY FREERIDE, baby.

So after a serious clusterfuck, a near meltdown and a very cold midnight glacier ski on the way to Wedgemount, we sleep until nearly noon. Naomi is sick and the whole group acknowledges that the big plans for the day are no longer in play.

But the boys decide to boot up a big couloir on Rethel. It's right there at the hut.

This couloir is huge.

Nobody expects to get past the huge cornice that guards the top. But as we get close to it, there's some magic coastal snow that lets us boot up a very steep ramp through a cliff.

Suddenly, we find ourselves on a steep hanging snowfield above the couloir.

We don't have any crampons or ice axes but it doesn't matter because the snow is so perfect.

The hanging snowfield magically delivers us to the summit plateau above a cliff where there's no cornice.

Et voila !

The views are spectacular.

Parkhust!

Now we schralp steep powder. I guess, first dibs for me since I kicked the steps.

Eric on the last bit of hanging snowfield above the couloir.

Fork an egg, that was fun!

Just to be all raunchy about it, Rethel.

way to recover the magic all!

Wow - some awesome pictures in here!

nicely..

saaka! Guest
    sweet tour and ending.