Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Putting down your own dog

I had to do it yesterday. I am still happy that it was me. 13 yr old Hunting dog with lung cancer. Took one last walk in the woods and now he is pain free. Happy Hunting old buddy.

I do not regret not taking him to the vet. It was the best for him and me.

Edit> I just got home and my 2 year old told me that Gary was with Jesus. That jerked a few tears.

Here he is showing the new puppy how to look good after being naughty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dirty dogs.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	93372  
    Last edited by Garydog; 02-16-2011 at 11:10 PM.

When I was close to doing this a few months ago, I talked with my vet and he said that he could come to my house and do it when the time comes. That was alot of comfort to me. Fortunately, I haven't had to do it yet, but when the time comes he will be in my arms on the couch and not in a cold vets office.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Wow that prett tough. Sorry for your loss.

What a tough task for any man, but good for you Gary, you showed the ultimate act of love for your dog. You did him proud in the worst of circumstances. Few of us could do it.

What was his name? He and my beast are out chasing critters right now!
    Post a pic if you feel like it. Here was nug at 13
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nug1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	540.6 KB 
ID:	93347  
    Last edited by Crampedon; 02-16-2011 at 09:45 PM.

i had to put down my 16 yr old lab (no, that's not a typo, she really was 16) a few years ago. my biggest regret of the whole experience is i didnt do it sooner. i knew the time had come but i was too big a pussy to get it done and kept hoping i'd come home from work and find her dead on her bed in the sunshine.

it finally came to the point where it had to be done, letting her live was doing no one any favors. it was a friday, and it was my wedding anniversary, but i didnt want to wait for monday and let the dog suffer a couple more days. so yeah, i had to put down my dog on my anniversary.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Vibes to you man. Not an easy thing.

Vibes man, that sucks.

+1000 gnar points.

RIP to your dog, and peace to you too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It's always a hard thing to do whether you see it coming for a while or not. My sincerest condolences.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend.

Vibes from beandip and linus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    When I was close to doing this a few months ago, I talked with my vet and he said that he could come to my house and do it when the time comes. That was alot of comfort to me. Fortunately, I haven't had to do it yet, but when the time comes he will be in my arms on the couch and not in a cold vets office.
    That is how my last guy went out. Shadow will pass in my arms at home too.
    OP, sorry for your loss. As I am a pussy about my dog, I wouldn't have choose that ending for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Garydog View Post
    I had to do it yesterday. I am still happy that it was me. 13 yr old Hunting dog with lung cancer. Took one last walk in the woods and now he is pain free. Happy Hunting old buddy.

I do not regret not taking him to the vet. It was the best for him and me.
    Vibes there, I had to do the same about a year ago, it's quite the downer but you did the right thing, your friend will thank you later.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Two go out, only one comes back.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Vibes for your loss. I had to do the same for my lab the weekend after Thanksgiving. A tough thing, but you knew best when it was time.

sorry for your loss.....i just had to put down my 7yr old shar-pei lab in Nov. def was the hardest day of my life. it was the best thing for Solo..no more pain from the tumor....... i know how you are feeling... take comfort in that you brought him as much love as he did to you...i also hear that doggie heaven is a nice place.............

Had to do the same thing this summer, I know how you feel. Sorry for your loss
    there is powder out there, and it ain't gonna find you

https://powaholic.blogspot.com/

+++++++++vibes++++++++++
    I was afraid that I was going to have to do that last summer. But he did it himself. His last act for me.I dont know if I could have ????????/

which leads to my question of how did you do it?
    I was considering an air embolism
    picador

Sorry to hear of this loss.

Did the same thing for my dog of 13yrs on Tuesday. Got her from the pound at 9 weeks old. She had cancer as well and her life became very miserable as the cancer became aggressive. We knew we had to do this and basically had to pick a date.

Slept with her all night the night before as she cried in pain and tried to comfort her.
    She is well off now and pain free..

RIP Gary
    RIP Torrey's Morning Dew
    the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right

OK here is how I did it. Read on if you want.

Made the decision on Sunday that it would be Tuesday am. This gave my wife and son all day Monday to say goodbye. I drove out into the woods with my Son and my dog. Took a short walk and put my son with my dad to go back. I dug a hole while my dog tried to hobble after squirrels. I had him lay down in it. I gave him a kiss goodbye and did a double tap to the base of his scull with a 22lr pistol. Instant relief. I think people need to grow a set and take care of thier own animals rather than let somebody else kill their dog. It was an incredible experience that I would have regretted every day if I let the vet do it. I can not believe the response I get from people when they ask what vet I took him to and I tell them that I did it. Hell if the roles were reversed that is what I would want. I do not want to go into a hospital and have lots of doctors and people I do not know stab me and inject me. Let my son or my dad end my suffering.

I hate the pussification of today's society.

never mind
    Last edited by Danno; 02-17-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Garydog View Post
    OK here is how I did it. Read on if you want.

Made the decision on Sunday that it would be Tuesday am. This gave my wife and son all day Monday to say goodbye. I drove out into the woods with my Son and my dog. Took a short walk and put my son with my dad to go back. I dug a hole while my dog tried to hobble after squirrels. I had him lay down in it. I gave him a kiss goodbye and did a double tap to the base of his scull with a 22lr pistol. Instant relief. I think people need to grow a set and take care of thier own animals rather than let somebody else kill their dog. It was an incredible experience that I would have regretted every day if I let the vet do it. I can not believe the response I get from people when they ask what vet I took him to and I tell them that I did it. Hell if the roles were reversed that is what I would want. I do not want to go into a hospital and have lots of doctors and people I do not know stab me and inject me. Let my son or my dad end my suffering.

I hate the pussification of today's society.
    actualy when I read the thread title thats what i envisioned it would be about ...putting down your own dog

I think some places like being more rural you do it your self , probably not so common in the city ... lots of people wouldnt even have a firearm

I have never offed my own dog ,I have come out the back yard to find my dog had died during the night and I have left a dog at the vet but if you got to chose between waiting till you find yer dog dead in the back yard one morning having to expalin it to young kids the crying wife I would have to say pick the right time to make "the trip" to the vet ...you will know the right time

Bad on ya for taking it as an opportunity to shit on the choices others felt was right for themselves and their dogs.
    People are free to choose. I guess what I am trying to convey that is I have heard so many times in the last 2 days that they could never do that and look down on my decision. I say wait till its your time to make that choice and you may see things differently. It was one that I did not think I could make until I read a blog about a hunter who had to do the same thing. The beauty of the relationship between a dog and an owner that both love to hunt is something I was unaware of until that relationship was at and end. That dog gave 100% ever time we hunted and never gave me shit for missing a shot.
    I guess I left myself open by posting an unpopular opinion posted in a dog thread.

It sucks you had to put your dog down. It sucks that people are debating what is right and wrong on how to put down your best friend. It sucks that many of us don't see or try to see other people's look at life and how they go about it.

Bottom line, this sucks and I am sorry you lost your bud.

I'm not going to question your decision, you don't question mine.

I can't bury a dog in my yard, so I brought mine to the vet.
    They had it set up all nice for him, and the ladies in the office were all crying. They had grown attached to him too. It was all I could do to get in the car with him that morning.

My daughter killed me that morning. At 2 years old, she told the dog he needed to "Eat Food puppy".
    He had throat cancer, and had stopped eating over 4th of July weekend 2 years ago. Hearing her say that just destroyed me.
    I feel for ya.

Sorry for my tone. It is very hard to loose a dog. Any dog for any reason. I dreaded this day for so long and now its past the sorrow is setting in. Thanks for all the stories. Nice to know your not alone.

Cheers for our four legged best buds.