Proper Skin Storage

How does one properly store skins?

I am on my second pair of skins. My first pair were CSDs and I did not treat them as well as I should have, that said they still work. I got new planks, and thus new BD skins for them. I want to take better care of the BD skins.

In between uses, I store them with the skins folded in on themselves, just hanging in the closet.

For long term, I do the same but with the skin savers on each skin.

Long term storage with the skins folded will leave a crease halfway down the skin. Would it make sense to put a full length skin saver on on skin, then stick the other skin to that? Hanging a full length set of skins, rather than two folded sets.

Also, I have heard of people storing skins in the freezer. Why? Wouldn't you have to fold them up to put them in there?

Last question. What exactly is long term storage? If it is going to be 1 or 2 weeks between uses, do I use the savers?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The fold is not an issue, so don't worry about that. I never use the skin savers, ever. They sometimes break and leave little bits of plastic on your skins. Skin glue doesn't like heat, so that is why some store them in the freezer. I suppose that would be fine, but I don't have space in there. Somewhere cool and dry would be fine, not, say, in the backseat of your car in summer. I do not differentiate between short and long term storage, once dried, they stay folded up against themselves in the skin bag in my gear room in the basement.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I use the savers but keep the skins in my garage or backseat of my truck so they stay pretty cold all winter. If I think that they will be getting warm anytime soon, I take the cheat sheets off and fold them onto themselves. The crease isn't a big deal. Once you put them onto your skis it comes out.

Proper storage is key for safety!

Condom man says:

For males, how to use a condom starts with proper storage. Although it may be tempting to store condoms in a wallet, this is not the ideal place. Proper condom storage should be in a cool place that is out of direct sunlight. Some condom manufacturers offer storage containers that fit nicely inside of a wallet. In addition to proper storage, be sure to check the expiration date of the condom. This is typically found on the actual condom package or box that the condoms came in. These two steps are crucial in knowing how to use a condom.

Oh, you meant skins for skis . . . My bad.

Per Black Diamond for nylon skins:

U s e , C a r e a n d sT Or ag e T i p s
    1. Store your skins in the field by folding the adhesive side against itself. The
    best way to do this is to start at the middle and work toward the ends,
    keeping the edges aligned. Storing them apart can ruin the glue.
    2. Apply Cheat Sheets and keep skins below 32˚ C (90˚ F) for long-term storage
    in order to preserve glue quality. Use the skin bag to keep skins clean. After
    long term storage, remove Cheat Sheets at room temperature for best results.
    3. Avoid getting snow on the adhesive and it will stick better.
    4. Dry your skins every night if possible and do not expose your skins to fires,
    stoves or extreme heat.
    5. When applying your skins, make sure your ski bases are dry and clean.
    6. If icing or snow sticking occurs on the skins, apply either Black Diamond
    Free Glide Skin Care or Black Diamond Glop Stopper Wax to the skin.
    7. If glue needs to be replaced on the skin, use Black Diamond regluing
    products.
    8. On very cold days, the skin adhesive will perform better if you keep your
    skins inside your jacket when not in use. Your body temperature will help
    warm them, increasing the adhesive properties.
    The Passion is in the Risk

I dry em after every use by hanging them somewhere and fold em in half with skin saver and put em in a bag for storage - same thing for long term or short term.

Never had a problem with skin saver breaking up.
    Only glue problem I;ve had was when i didn;t do the above and left em folded directly onto ech other for too long and the glue kind of "marbled" when I pulled em apart.

FWIW BD in their instructions states that using skin saver is the very important for glue preservation.

I think a big prob is people dry them with too much heat and fuckup the glue it doesnt take much heat to evaporate the water on the skins ... hanging them over a hot stove in a cabin if probabaly too much heat

All that^^^^...and don't worry about the crease.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think a big prob is people dry them with too much heat and fuckup the glue it doesnt take much heat to evaporate the water on the skins ... hanging them over a hot stove in a cabin if probabaly too much heat
    Maybe,
    I just dry em by hanging them somewhere in the house (or hut). I agree there's really no need for extra heat or close proximity to a source of heat - room temp air does the job pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    - room temp air does the job pretty quick.
    exactly

AND maybe if you live somewhere that gets hot in the summer it can wreck the glue ... not a big problem up here

I stored them glue-to-glue for years before they came out with skinsavers, no problem - just store them in a cool and dry place. It's prolonged exposure to heat (above 80 degrees F. or so) that affects the glue. One year I tried using the skinsavers on one pair during the summer and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I have friends who obsessively put their skins in the freezer with skinsavers every summer and they don't seem to get any better life out of their glue than I do.

A worn-in fold (or folds) can actually help you pack your skins up in the field, and disappears as soon as you apply the skins; don't worry about it.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Make sure they are dry. Room temp for a bit does the job. Fold them together, but them in a bag. Cool dark place.

If it's warm (like coastal CA warm) throw them in the fridge.

If you're drying them in a hut, don't hang them with the glue exposed. People will rub against them, dirt can get kicked up, and so on. Fold them on themselves and hang to dry.

At home, I use the "skin savers" in the summer and pop them in the freezer (big chest unit) just so I know they're not getting heated and they're out of the way. Seems to work.

Bumping this up. I used the skin saver sheet for my first season on my skins last year and now there's a bunch of black plastic pieces that ripped off the cheat sheet stuck to the glue. For this season, I'm just folding them in half. It is important to let the glue dry off, because getting water in your glue is what makes it lose it's stickiness.

Proper Skin Storage

Hello Zartagen i am Leo Nardo form United States Of America. I Read all about which you Mention in your Post. If your really want to have Proper Skin Storage, then i have a Solution for you.

It is my Skin Care Solutions Secret and that Name is Skin Whitening Pills India Dr. James Glutathione Product. But Remember One Thing Always that it will Working According your Skin Tone Level like this :

1. If your Skin Tone Level is 2 - 3 - 4, then it may take only Two to Three Weeks to Reach One Step Up.
    2. If your Skin Tone Level is 5 - 6, then it may take Two Months Time to Reach its Upper OR Next Level.
    3. If your Skin Tone Level is 5 - 6, then it will take Around 90 Days Time to Reach 4 - 5 Level Skin Tone.
    4. And Finally If your Skin Tone Level is 9 & 10, then it will take Minimum of 6 Months Time to See the Results.

If this Product Impress you with its Specifications, then you can Order this Product by Contact as well as Whatsapp on this No.

(+91) - 99149 - 04949

^This is hilarious. Who's calling that number?

Skin whitening pill? hahaha

Had radiant in-floor heating in my last place. I left my skins on the floor a few times and they were completely shot. Even xxx-er could not work his magic and revive them. Keeping a pair of tweezers around in your gear room, so as to pick debris off the skins periodically is something I've seen people do. Seems like a good idea. Bits of lichen, bark, p-tex, dog hair, assorted stuff.