Thread: 1984?

1984?

anyone know if the book was ever made into a movie? Prolly the greatest book ive ever read alongside catch 22 and catcher in the rye.

Dammit i thought i was getting a van halen thread.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

naw, George Orwell

um yeah, i'm familiar with the book too.

How old were you in 1984 anyway?

a minute or so with google and i found this:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

i was yet to be concieved in 1984, very glad all that totalitarian nonsense got cleared up before i was born in '85. i guess i shoulda been more specific, anyone seen it and did you like it?

Originally posted by crstlextrm
    i was yet to be concieved in 1984, very glad all that totalitarian nonsense got cleared up before i was born in '85.
    Think that's been cleared up huh?

Ever heard the words Ashcroft or Patriot Act?

Anyway, about the movie. I know i've seen it, but i dont really remember much about it. I think i liked it, pretty faithful treatment of the book.

I think im getting old and forgetful. I do remember i read the book in junior english class in 1984.
    Ben Franklin

Originally posted by fez

yeah im familiar with the great work of Asscroft. Still not as bad as 1984, maybe a more realistic timeframe until we get that bad would be 2084.

on a sidenote my mother is going to meet John Asscroft in DC, her boyfriend got some award and they are goin to washington to meet a bunch of meatheads, errr, politicians.

Originally posted by fez

Was thinking the same thing. It's funny how we adapt to whatever is happening. If you had sketched out some of the stuff that's happening now, and written a book about it 20 years ago, no one would believe.....

actually that's really even more applicable for what's happening with technology.... imagine a movie coming out in the 70s that showed people with picture phones, listening to 4000 songs on their headphones, carrying around mini computers, talking to total strangers through a small machine in their house.....
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Book-Masterpiece

Movie-Not so much

As with almost all book to movie conversions, so much is lacking on screen that it ends up being annoying and frustrating. It does have a decent techno noir feel to it, but other that that, pretty lame.

Thumbs up

Brazil by Terry Gilliam

Different story, but same "someone is always watching" idea. Made in 1985, crazy fucking movie, go check it out.

I remember seeing parts of 1984 in an english class in high school. As I recall it was pretty faithful to the book.

I'd say rent Brazil. It was pretty good.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"