Thunderbolt Race

Anyone racing the Thunderbolt tomorrow?
    I'll be bib # 75. Start time 12:24. Likely all black jacket.
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere.

I'll be there patrolling, and probably also racing because of a little communications mix-up. (Long story...)
    I'm #89, start time 12:38, and will have a green & gray rando race suit when skinning, and at other times a red patrol jacket and black vest on top of that, with white helmet, along with ridiculous rando race gear, including nordic ski poles.

And the results:
    http://www.thunderboltskirun.com/2011results.html

Also some fun quotes:
    http://www.thunderboltskirun.com/2011race.html
    The lead quote is from my own email. Now what was the third thing I wrote that they left off the website?
    "The reckless abandon with which I saw some other competitors skiing the summit chute. I mean, sure, I can ski terrain like that, but I want a bit of a safety margin on each side of my route!"

Was anyone abducted by aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    Was anyone abducted by aliens?
    No, but some sort of time-space portal could explain the winning sub-three-minute race run!

In all seriousness, looks like a hell of a fun time.

Nice results Jonathan. Way to go!
    The Passion is in the Risk

Congrats on the big win Jonathan. Up and down in under an hour is very impressive.
    At the awards ceremony last year's King of the Mountain (#3 this year) vowed to reclaim the title next year.
    I grabbed myself 2nd in the tele division, which is an improvement over last year when I took a wrong turn near the top and crashed 10 feet from the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    At the awards ceremony last year's King of the Mountain (#3 this year) vowed to reclaim the title next year.
    So did he also vow to buy rando race gear?
    Seriously though, at seven-and-a-half minutes off the pace, he was hardly close to holding onto his title.
    But then again, I'm just going to stick to patrolling the race next year, unless we have a rando race component to it (which we might...).

Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    I grabbed myself 2nd in the tele division, which is an improvement over last year when I took a wrong turn near the top and crashed 10 feet from the finish.
    Wow, that's some fast skiing there this year, well done! Although where/how did you take a wrong turn last yet?!?

Post some pictures, bitches!

Also...congrats to Jon! King o the Mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Post some pictures, bitches!
    In the spirit of both the down mountain races of yesteryear, and the rando racing of today, shown here is the "go kind of straight, adopt a wide semi-terrified stance for stability, and hope for the best (or at least avoid the worst)" technique:

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    In all seriousness, looks like a hell of a fun time.
    I highly recommend participating in the race. I think the only way to have a good chance of getting in though is through early registration afforded to members of the Thunderbolt Ski Runners. This year the race filled up almost immediately, even with very little publicity.
    Trying to ski as fast as possible, but without all the fine technical worries of modern alpine ski racing, down a thigh-burning long trail with ungroomed backcountry conditions, with cheering cowbell-ringer patrollers, volunteers, and spectators, especially lining the chute above the bridge -- it's just something you have to experience at least once, like a throwback to another era.

This race is on my list. Thanks for sharing, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Although where/how did you take a wrong turn last yet?!?
    Last year's race was my first run on the trail. Mind you the weather was nasty so there wasn't any hanging out watching the start. Right off the top, where the trail hits the road, the gates and ruts had me going to the right and there were some crossed poles blocking a rock or something on the other side of the road. I, like an idiot, saw the road to the right and not the trail (straight ahead!). A hard right turn had me face to headlight with three snowmachines and their more than surprised riders. Had to duck walk back up about 25ft of the road to get back on the trail. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Even with my terrible run i had a blast last year and was pumped when I saw there were doing it again this year. The race is super fun and they do a great job with the whole weekend (dinner Friday night and dinner/awards Saturday night).