Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Silver creek would be a good idea. The Henry's shitshow hatch has started and that might pull a little pressure off the creek. With the beautiful weather and dropping water level, gonna be many, many folks out there this weekend. I know the lower section is going to have nearly every guided boat in the tri-state area working it. Think I'll go to the SF.........and look for morels.

Update: Found a dozen good yellows @ 5000 ft, in the cottonwood forest (obviously). A lot of prime zones were underwater or access was cut off by flooded back channels. SF running at 24,000 - water, water everywhere. Heard some have been found as high as 6000 in the warmer zones. Soil temps are right but I guess we need a good soaking rain to bring up the next batch.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-05-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Morels are prolly a better bet than tha HF this wknd! Trailers were leaving this valley in force this morning. They can have it. Bumper boats is not my idea of fun unless it's tooooo good to miss. Doubt that's the case.

I fished some clear water in btwn jellystone and GTnp yesterday. It was good!

Fresh morels go for $25 a lb in gourmet shops and, for me, are about ten times harder and more desirable to find than a big trout. It is a challenge, for sure. I've only been getting serious about it for two seasons and can usually find some yellows and the occasional gray around cottonwood trees. I still don't have a clue as to where/when to look for blacks or whether they even grow around the Tetons.

Way more satisfying than bumper boats. That scene just isn't too good to miss anymore. Basically, I've never had very good action with salmonflies on a crowded river. There definitely seems to be a point of diminishing returns when too many boats run close to the bank. I've done great in the past by anticipating the hatch and getting lucky ahead of the crowd. But now, so much emphasis is placed on that hatch that, on the HF and SF, it is about impossible to find the fish keyed onto the dry without a crowd already there in force. As pumped up as anglers get over that salmonfly, you'd think it was a fuckin salmon run. Big bug, big deal...It's still just trout and I've seen far better dry action on mayflies, flying ants, goldens and sallies. Bear Gulch/Cardiac canyon is about the only area on the HF not totally overrun by clackas and the only HF area I'll bother with salmonflies anymore. Fortunately, the hatch continues on most of the tribs and not many boat bitches like to walk offtrail and even fewer are willing to canyon crawl.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-05-2011 at 03:40 PM.

I avoid it too. Granted, if those two rivers weren't so damn crowded during the hatch I'd be all over throwing big bugs from a boat but taking time away from my family when I'm not working can be much better spent! There are plenty of streams as ND mentioned that see a decent salmon fly hatch that arent under huge pressure. Mostly a wading affair.

Wish I had more morel knowledge...im not that fond of mushrooms to begin with but I'd fuck up some fresh nicely sautéd morels in a pasta right now!

I'm pretty sure nobody is reading this thread and thinking of coming to the JH side of the Tetons for a fishing trip but for the JH people that might be considering Dam ti Pacific.....don't bother. Flows are at a great level, (around 4k), but prolly won't stay that way for long. I'd assume they will get jacked again when the levee work is done.

We got to the dam around 4:15 yesterday. The water was that greenish, murky color. By the time we ran the shuttle, rigged up, and shoved off, the water was tan. 20 mins down the stretch, goo. Another 20 mins, toast. Silt is pushing through in a big way. Pacific creek looks to be in flood stage at the confluence. Mucho choco goo coming in FAST. It made the takeout a little tricky. If you do float that one in a few days, keep in mind the takeout is underwater.

Fishing was slow. Beer drinking was excellent. The weather sucked.

Rain is unlocking the deep shit above 8000 feet. Henry's Fork at the St. Anthony gauge is 13,600cfs, a new record flow. Water is pouring over the spillway at Ashton to bring that gauge to 6500cfs (down from 7000). Last night, a flash flood warning was issued for hwy 47 at Robinson creek in Warm River, reporting debris across the highway. I guess the big bugs are washed out below Bear Gulch and the entire drift boat hatch is now cramming itself into the 3 miles of Box Canyon. I'd bet IDF&G could get a few over-permit violations in Last Chance today, if they wanted to. Most of the lower Fall River gauges stopped reporting after the flows tripled. The flows on the Teton tripled too. Badger creek has jumped its banks. Lots more warm rain in the short term forecast.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-08-2011 at 11:45 AM.

So glad I got into West Yellowstone last night, and that Hebgen Lake has been super hit or miss. I may just go sit at the bar for the next few days, or go exploring and see if I can safely wade much. Fish have to eat even during high water, so if I can get around there should still be fish to catch.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

You can always go combat fishing on the Maddy between the lakes. Clarity might not be perfect but I bet it's good enough to stick a few.

^^^^^^hit it lastnight on our way back from fishing lower down. We got there 10min too late and it was just a hair too dark, the water was actually running clear above cabin creek. I had two fish come up and hit my bobber, so they are feeding and looking up. I think we will head there after lunch, and give it a shot.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Found 110 morels today. Over $100 worth of feasting. Mostly yellows. 3 hunters looking for 6 hours. If you are fishing in the Rockies near cottonwood forests between 4000-6000 ft, take a look around. I've realized morels are a lot like fishing for panfish cuz when you do really well, you end up staying out till dark, eating dinner at midnight and then have to stay up to clean and filet a huge mess 'o fish while you are buzzed and really, really tired.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-11-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Hit the Green early last week for 4 days. Not a lot of dry action (even with temps in the low 80's every day) but we did boat a lot of fish on large scuds. B section fished much better than A. Got out of there just as they were bumping the flows back up.

Decent fishing on my favorite lake up the gros ventre drainage. They where hammering something on the surface but i stuck to what i know and trolled around with scuds. Pretty cool landslide into the lake to look at (new this spring) and saw a wolf chase a coyote off a ridgeline. Any one want to teach me how to hammer em topwater, ill drive and pull my boat.

If the trout are taking midge emergers and they probably are, visualize small wormlike pupae buoyed up from the lake bottom by a gas bubble at their head. The bubble hits the surface film and the bug splits its case and climbs onto the film and flies off. The fish key in on the easy meat - the worms hanging under the surface film. If the riseforms you see rarely take your fly off the surface, then there is probably a lot of food just under the surface film and you need to imitate it because most of the fish are not even seeing your fly above the film. The parasol midge series of flies features a little puff of material that suspends a midge pupae nymph a couple milimeters under the film and gives you a nice hybrid fly: a nymph that fishes like a dry fly. There are other emerger ties that do the same. Some lake midges are suprisingly big (up to #10) so if you do lakes often you'll need a variety of sizes in red, black and brown on hand.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-23-2011 at 10:32 AM.

I'd be happy to go sting a few up there sometime. Been a while for me!

I've been up in Canada slinging the line for monster pike for the last week but I hear Jenny and Phelps are still fishing well as is the Hank. Although, apparently, it's day to day over there.

If you are in or coming to the JH side of the Tetons, most flows look to have peaked or will likely be at peak this weekend or early next week. I wouldn't expect anything to clear for quite some time. CFS and Gage Ht might begin to slowly drop but clarity won't for quite some time.

Dam to pacific on the Snake is fishable and producing. Careful on the takeout. Pac Creek is pushing major goo into the river.

The Green and New Fork are plowing choco goo too.

Thursday evening, Lower Henry's was stooooopid easy with drakes (grey, green and flav) all over the water til nine and clouds of caddis returning at sunset. Just about any drakey looking thing in the flybox was slurped down. I had a dry fly buddy in town and he was simply blown away, "I'm in heaven", by the surface feeding frenzy. Nope, nothing like it in Seattle!

Good luck with the crowds, cuz that part was just plain old regular stupid. We had an awesome spot on one of the upper islands and some typical Henry's Fuck losers 100 yards below us saw us crushing it upstream so they just waded up the middle of the river, through the huge school of risers we were obviously working below us and then set up 30 feet below my bro in his drift, casting to the same spot they'd just spooked out. They didn't even have the courtesy to fish the other side of the island and wanted our spot. When I went over to talk to my friend, one guy walked up three feet from where my boat was tied off and started backcasting over my inflatable. I cussed them out, we shifted downstream to the spot they couldn't catch any at and just killed it down there too. Fuck 'em! Parking lots were packed full, as in no more space, with boat trailers friday and the river between Chester and Warm probably looks like the parking lots. Guess the word is out. We decided to skip the assclown convention and went creek fishing, stumbled onto a salmonfly and green drake hatch, had great light rod action and saw noone all day. Had to walk our asses off through heinous clouds of skeeters, tho...So if you love dry fly fishing drakes with a nice mix of mercenary guides, self-important rich dudes and some totally clueless shitheads who've driven hundreds of miles to fish a famous hatch, now is a great time to be on the lower river.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-03-2011 at 09:43 AM.

I can't handle that shit anymore.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Got the mrs. and furkid out for a holiday weekend on the Green and some floating.
    Fishin pretty well. no need to nymph anything but the worm guide bro says if ya aint gettin um add more lead.
    Camp a couple nights on the B fished a big ugly articultes sculpin thing on 3x most of the time need to let er git down before strippin and most hits coming on a pause. Exercised a few nice pigs

Heard and saw a few ciacadas but aside from some sporatic late eve caddis rise not many snouts up
    Stoked wife rowed the 8680 flows pretty well tried to get he to crab and keep the boat on seam lines with less effort and she's alright unless the wind picks up. I'm blessed my wifes willing to row at all so I don't push rowing nymph laps
    Red Creek ragin pretty well

After getting to play "deadliest catch" and experience waves coming over the bow the wife and pooch did the long portage river right, the second day, which was fine as I got bucked right into a boat rockin wave train bitch slapping.

Mon. wife did shuttle before bailing not wanting to add to the mayhem of the rubber hatch on the "A" and be that guy drifting downriver trying to fish or anchoring up in nymph runs floated a "c" from bridgeport to swallow picked up a few drive by streamering and a fish every other river bend until little swallow.
    All the cool spring creekesque side chanels of shangrila area were flooded and didn't catch or see much in swallow pretty cloudy but not chochalte milk more tea colored and plenty of floating veg.
    High flows kept the crowds away as only saw a few gide boats and a handful oof camping rafters
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Good to see the hard boat in big water!

Did an all day, marathon yesterday. Fishing was good.

Drove out to Cache Bridge on the upper Teton. HIGH water but clear enough to bring rods on a booze cruise. Looks like the skeeter hatch is going to be somethin' when the water recedes a little and begins to warm.

The Fall fished well above and below with stoney stuff.

The Ranch on the HF fished very well and was surprisingly not all that crowded for a sunday. Warm River put in was a complete mess and I imagine all other launches below were too. Drakes are still going strong all over the river. Cream caddis were solid and had fish up on emerging patterns on the Ranch too. Played with a number of smaller fish on dries but not many head-fin-tail sightings from bigger fish. Worked hard to play with 2 bows in the 18" range. From the talk around here, size has been down this season. Health cycle perhaps?

The JH side is worthless. The SF is truckin, gooey and dangerous.

Got a job to do in Cody next Monday to Wednesday-ish, planning on fishing my way back through Yellowstone, JH, Pinedale... Any additional words of wisdom are welcome. I am pretty familiar with the upper Green / Gros Ventre - any hope up there? Definitely would like to check out the Fall. Last time I was in Yellowstone proper it was pre-fire, pre-wolf and I was a lot shorter. I'd love to make the summit, but this is probably going to be my foray this year. Won't bring the boat, and I love to hike in backcountry... Not asking for any CIA info, at least not for posting on the interweb, feel free to PM me and I will definitely repay you in beer!

Semi-cross post from the Photo/Video forum, but it's remarkable how different the high lakes are in terms of snowpack in southern CO versus northern.

Backpacking over the holiday weekend:

Quote Originally Posted by NMmatt View Post
    Got a job to do in Cody next Monday to Wednesday-ish, planning on fishing my way back through Yellowstone, JH, Pinedale... Any additional words of wisdom are welcome.
    The Fall is still a bit high for consistent wade fishing. It has a great salmonfly hatch that usually comes off during high water. It is a very swift and cold river compared to its neighbors. There are some access issues below the national forest and some farmers along the river are openly hostile to anglers (respect signage) so a boat works best at these water levels. I think the Henry's is still the best bet for a wader. It is still weeks ahead of everything else. The Drakes will probably wind down soon on the lower river but should increase next week up in IP. PMDs should be big through august and, with the cold water, yellow sallies are going to be around all summer long.

Quote Originally Posted by skiandbike View Post
    Semi-cross post from the Photo/Video forum, but it's remarkable how different the high lakes are in terms of snowpack in southern CO versus northern.

Backpacking over the holiday weekend:

Beautiful footage!

^^^
    Yup, I loved that viddy too! Now I really wanna go fishing, especially in the San Juans!