Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    As far as coming up here....prolly a toss up. The upper green is fishing ok but low. Nothing on the snake. The sf...if you like 18k. Don't have a first hand report for the HF but second hand reports have been hit or miss and just decent if you hit a good day. I haven't checked but the water is prolly coming up a little on warm to Ashton but I'm sure it'll be plenty fishable. The box should be decent and the Maddy isn't too far once you're up there.

Crankin'

FWIW - The flows on the South Fork have dropped to 13k+. If they hold for a few days it might be worth coming up this way. The Hank is apparently beginning to get cloudy and the flows from IP have been hiked up a little.

BWO, march browns and mother's day caddis are all hatching on the HF. I've seen boats aplenty headed that way but I'm more interested in seeing if the Teton is fishable prerunoff. So far it has been slow or down right dead.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Finally some warmth! Might help bring the water temps up and get the fish moving....we won't have much time after that though!

Fished the Yellowstone in town today no caddis but should be any day?

Reports of sporadic caddisflies on the Lower Madison yesterday...

We've got a SHITLOAD of snow up high...check linky>>

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/...ph.pl?state=MT

Muddy mess of water being pushed out of every dam in the region, (I think), to make room for the ridiculous amount of snow we have up high in the Greater Jellystone area.

Lakes having a tough time with ice off too.

Technically we are in the Rockies so I hope you guys won't throw me out if I nip in here now and again! Just wanted to post a PSA - the San Juan (New Mexico) will have a spring release of 5,000 cfs beginning either May 23 or May 30 - one week ramp up, one week at 5k, and one week back down to 500 cfs. BOR still farting around on final date. "One week" looks like it means 5 days right now, not 7.

Fishing will likely blow until 3rd day or so of 5K. Then it should get pretty damn good - a chance to throw big flies on the Juan for big fish. As it drops, the fishing should be stellar, into that first week of regular flows. A boat isn't quite mandatory for the big water, but pretty damn close. Wading is downright dangerous at those levels - for real. As it gets to 3k and below wading becomes a better option, even preferred if truth be told. I am looking to be there the latter part of the peak and into the drop...

In other boating news, the Rio Grande in Colorado (South Fork area) is in runoff but that should end early this year. Floating may get very good the first week of June or so, depending on weather / temps. This river kicks ass, but has a short window for sure. We are having a better early season than up north, but you better get it early, because unless we get rain soon, forests are going to start burning. Amazing the difference between N & S this year!!

Thanks for the update NMMatt, I try to sneak down and float the San Juan at least once a year, my brother lives in Albuquerque so it is usually our one chance to fish together.

I just spoke with the Bur of Rec about Flaming Gorge, the flows are holding steady at 4600 cfs until the Yampa hits peak run off, they will then drop the flow to 2000 cfs during the Yampas peak. After the Yampas peak they will jack the flows to around the previous 9000 cfs for a fair amount of time. Sounds like we are going to have about a 2 week window where the Green should be fishing pretty damn close to great.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by NMmatt View Post
    Technically we are in the Rockies so I hope you guys won't throw me out if I nip in here now and again! Just wanted to post a PSA - the San Juan (New Mexico) will have a spring release of 5,000 cfs beginning either May 23 or May 30 - one week ramp up, one week at 5k, and one week back down to 500 cfs. BOR still farting around on final date. "One week" looks like it means 5 days right now, not 7.

Fishing will likely blow until 3rd day or so of 5K. Then it should get pretty damn good - a chance to throw big flies on the Juan for big fish. As it drops, the fishing should be stellar, into that first week of regular flows. A boat isn't quite mandatory for the big water, but pretty damn close. Wading is downright dangerous at those levels - for real. As it gets to 3k and below wading becomes a better option, even preferred if truth be told. I am looking to be there the latter part of the peak and into the drop...

In other boating news, the Rio Grande in Colorado (South Fork area) is in runoff but that should end early this year. Floating may get very good the first week of June or so, depending on weather / temps. This river kicks ass, but has a short window for sure. We are having a better early season than up north, but you better get it early, because unless we get rain soon, forests are going to start burning. Amazing the difference between N & S this year!!
    Absolutely share updates and conditions!

We hit the Green River's A section Monday and it was ridicuous! Threw streamers all day long and every cast either resulted in a chase, a miss or a fish in the boat. Water is running at 4600 cfs and the higher water seems to be keeping the crowds down. I only saw 3 other boats on the river (all guides). I am seriously trying to figure out how to blow off another day and get ou there again before they jack with the flows again. Sorry, no pictures I was to busy hucking the streamers.
    I went from the Green to a sight visit for work at Palisades Dam, I am going to say that there wont be ANY fishing in that part of the world until July. But that is Schwerty and Neckdeep's area I will let them make that call.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

July!?! Shit it might be mid august! The SF will fish sooner and the Hank wont be toast until august but freestones might be a whole season away from fishing. Hopefully we get a long lake season and I get invited to fish some private spring creeks.

FKNA. Would not have guessed the Green would be on fire at that level. Sinktips?

Colman, yea I would have never guessed either. I am thinking the high waters have pushed the big guys out of there normal holes and they are nervous and super agressive. Yea, we were throwing sink tips with BIG articulated streamers and weight on the nose. Really getting them down seemed to work best.

I've seen some epic streamer fishing at high water on the South Fork (16,500cfs, rising and very muddy). I think the key to the high water pigout is that countless bait fish are getting flushed out from their shallow, frog water habitats and into the current by the rising water and then they settle in towards the bank on the inside corners and below the eddy down along the off current bank. The trout are already in there and they beat the shit out of disoriented minnows coming in looking for refuge in the structure along the slower side of the river. The cloudy water can really give brown trout that extra degree of comfort for daytime feeding, I think. One can find bite-ready browns stacked around current breaking structure along the slow bank and very little happening along the fast side of the river.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-25-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Colman, yea I would have never guessed either. I am thinking the high waters have pushed the big guys out of there normal holes and they are nervous and super agressive. Yea, we were throwing sink tips with BIG articulated streamers and weight on the nose. Really getting them down seemed to work best.
    Sweet! Heading up there next weekend. Hoping the flows stay consistent or drop w/ the Yampa peak.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    We hit the Green River's A section Monday and it was ridicuous! Threw streamers all day long and every cast either resulted in a chase, a miss or a fish in the boat. Water is running at 4600 cfs and the higher water seems to be keeping the crowds down. I only saw 3 other boats on the river (all guides). I am seriously trying to figure out how to blow off another day and get ou there again before they jack with the flows again. Sorry, no pictures I was to busy hucking the streamers.
    I went from the Green to a sight visit for work at Palisades Dam, I am going to say that there wont be ANY fishing in that part of the world until July. But that is Schwerty and Neckdeep's area I will let them make that call.
    Let me know I'm dying to head up but the trailers on it's last leg and don't want to play the broke down in bfewyo game again. Maria should be here today let me know if ya can get away and fish her even if it's just over to currant creek or the berry for a day
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Let me know I'm dying to head up but the trailers on it's last leg and don't want to play the broke down in bfewyo game again. Maria should be here today let me know if ya can get away and fish her even if it's just over to currant creek or the berry for a day
    Dibs, that sounds sweet. I am working an angle to get over to the Green again on the 1st or 2nd of June, if I can make it happen I will call you!

Henry's Lake has been ice free for about five days and F&G net surveys are showing loads of fish packed into the shallows. Looks like bad weather for opening weekend, so hopefully the masses of meatheads will get blown off the lake and back down to SLC. After the holiday shitshow settles down, the lake could provide some of the region's best fishing for a couple weeks. Silver Creek opens this weekend. So, the No-Fishing-till-July worry is misplaced, Telee. The Warm would be fishable now if we hadn't received two inches of rain in the IP caldera over the last 76 hours. I'd be there now but the wind is pushing 40mph and that plus snow showers and high water.... so, nope, fuck that. The Henry's is nymphable but slow in the Box and upper cardiac canyons though at 2000+ cfs it is extremely high for safe wading. The more wadable lake outlet section might have fish moving into it. In fact, all of the Henry's between Henry's Lake outlet and the Fall river confluence should be fishable within two weeks or less. The Fall will be high and cold till late June and the Teton will be muddy until July. The Hank clears up very quickly as most of the regional high elevation snowmelt ends up in either the Madison or the Fall rivers. The snow inside the caldera mostly sinks into the ground or else it first goes into the lakes or the countless lilypad swamps in the woods. That settles out some of the color before it goes into the Box canyon and down to the prime fishing zones. There is also a substantial amount of spring water in the Henry's and that dilutes the mud and makes the river fishable earlier than one might expect.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-26-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Got a third hand report that the Box is worth fishing well enough to go but as ND stated the flows are big. Wading wouldn't be fun or safe in most good spots. It's also tough to walk a boat through many of the runs or anchor for that matter. That makes for a quick float. Lots of people making multiple laps.

As of Friday, Ririe had about a foot of visability. That should improve significantly when the wind calms and the rain stops. The bass should start to get frisky soon!

Fished my favorite alpine spring creek fri and sat. Water finally cleared to 3ft. Yellow crane fly (#16) hatching abundantly on friday, not so much today, and it had the trout feeding well. Mostly stuck with a variety of #6 lead core nymphs to deal with the fast water, which was still four inches up into the grass. Worked around a mile each day, got about 30 each day, equal numbers of browns and bows; would have got many more today with the 40 mph wind finally gone but lots of holiday people around today which pretty much kills the cutbank action. Nothing over 16" and lots of dinks. If the forecasted storm arrives, I expect the Warm to go back to shit again till later next week. It is right on the edge and another big blast of icy rain will probably mud it again. It fished pretty well considering its level and its snow is mostly done. Robinson creek is the source of the mud currently messing up the lower Henry's. It was still in the bushes today but its color was improving from complete shit to just plain shitty.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-28-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Word is the Green, (in Wyo), went off this wknd! Multiple reports of big numbers and big fish. Mostly above Warren Bridge but still good apparently below too. Today will be the last day so if you ain't there, (I'm unfortunately not), you might be waiting till the flooding is over.

Small tribs and creeks fishing the best.

report from CO/WY

-The Laramie is high as fuck, like flooding the greenbelt
    -Wind does not make for good fishing on the plains, but when is it not windy out there?
    -St. Vrain and the Big T looked mighty fishable, Big T almost looked low, and the Vrain was running clear but looked slightly high
    -I caught my first fly caught bluegill and saw a largemouth

I'll be back to the rockys some day
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Had maybe my best ever early June day on Silver Creek. The pmd's are back, at least they were today, and the fish are still slightly stupid.

Slightly stupid fish on SC? I might have to come over next weekend!