Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^^^hell they probably just let em do damn to pacfic so rowing skills aren't even a necessity.
    You should come to the summit I don't have any slayer on the ipod, but I'm sure there is some sepeltura or somethin along that lines on there
    bring shrooms
    and one last rant wtf with dudes leaving trailers at the damn launch? guides in a hurry? Too many skeeters in that upper lot? All of em had wyo plates too
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

So a quick update on my trip to Cody / Jellystone: Caught many dinks / superdinks in the Park on the Slough, Gardner, Madison & Snake, a couple good ones on but didn't land them. The real action was hiking to the high lakes above Beartooth - long hike, high water everywhere, then lots of snow. Grizzly alarm went off in my head once or twice but we were loud and well armed in a variety of fashions. Crested a hill and saw... Winter!

Snow everywhere. Lakes frozen. Curses rang off the mountains. I glissaded down for a little better look at some open water, saw some more open water, and then some more open water... Ice out!!

Was it like all the stories I've read (I've never hit a lake in this condition before)? All I can say is I was there an hour (the hike was pretty spur of the moment), and I landed an 18 inch Brook trout (measured) and what I presume is it's mate. I couldn't tail the bigger fish, it was at my feet for a very good look and I saw it swimming next to the other one when I caught it (I didn't bring a net, and I caught it on 5x). I didn't want to horse around too much, it was doing the Brook trout thing where it acts more like a log, but it woke up every time I got it into the shallows. So eventually I just gave it some slack and it popped off (+1 barbless). It's a fish tale for sure - but I'm gonna say it was at 22" + easy. It wasn't any 8 lb fish or anything, but it wasn't super skinny either. For damn sure it was the best brook I ever (almost) caught. For me it made the trip.

I wish I could've spent more time around there - I think the time was right to to really work those lakes. But I had to go to work and then we hit the Park afterwards. Anyway, it was a great trip and I'll post some pictures later whenever I get two free seconds.

^^sounds like you hit it right, just in time too cause its gonna start snowin in the high country here pretty damn soon! Next time you're around hit me up and we can wet a line...

Not to totally thrunt it up but neckdeep I hear your side of the deal as well. I've worked in retail/customer service a good chunk of my adult life and I'm sorry but acknowledging the customer is even in the store is #1. Most times I know what shirt I want, what flies to buy, where I'm fishing, etc, I don't always need and/or expect expert-intimate knowledge from a feather merchant on a particular stream. But I'll be damned if they're gonna get my $$ without even saying hello.

So howsabout you help a bucha outta-state hacks slap some water on your home streams? Would be good to meet ya ND and sounds like we've got a pretty solid lineup for the summit already, could be like the Dream-Team from 92, hmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I have pondered that for a long time. Even when I was guiding I couldn't really grasp that. Guides in both valleys seem to be driving nice, full size rigs, (trucks or SUVs) and new clakcas every couple years. Seems like an occupation for guys with families backing them or kids right outta college that convinced their dad to spring for a new boat and and a truck. The old gaurd still exists but many more of the other type of guide seem to be around. I guess there is nothing wrong with it if they new crop of guides flooding the business are personable and entertaining. They should be able to row too. Not sure some of these guys around here can row any better than my grandma!

Skifish- if you're handling the Green at the levels in your pics, lunch counter won't be a problem, especially later in the season.
    Not sure if it's cause it's a podunk fishin town in the corner of UT and most of the older guides got in on the housing back when the gov turned em over, but seems DJ is pretty much still primarily old guard. a few new guides every year, but the og's get most of the trips. I like to think i'm a decent oarsmen but then again I like to think i'm a decent skier but I still manage to catch an edge or fuck up and tomahack down something I don't want to be failin on.
    It's all good till you blow that crux oarstroke. Bummed the dude I used to crash at sunk his fish rite in the high flows with dudes on board. Thankfully everyone was alright. Not sure how or if he's salvaged her yet. Ran into him last time I was up but given the choice about talking about that or his new newf pup was a no brainer. ND i just read your edit and I can relate to the suck that can be lowpaying resort retail and paying your dues so to speak shouldn't involve being ripped off. If they owe you and you can prove it sick the labor commision on em. If those guys get on their case they'll be sorry. I and my coworkers got $200 bi weekly paychecks for 18 months after they got done with the guy that was scammin us on peice work. He probably paid out that much to laywers to keep from having to pay us more. You should come hang out party and fish with us. Don't be a Jer
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sorry to hear that shop stiffed you ND. You should join us next month. We can make a trip down with all the guys and give the owner hell!

A few pics...

+1 for High Country Flies. helpful and knowledgeable without the 'jackson hole local' attitude. did a little bit of fishing from table to sheep gulch today. the fish were looking up at big bugs and at a few nice ones were showing their faces. GV is still a bit murky and high but super fun to check out all the new and modified side channels. I love that you can fish the same stretch of water year after year but get to explore it like it's new each spring.

You can't put your foot in the same river twice but, wow, the Teton in the canyon changed more in the last 12 weeks than it did in the previous 12 years. Got swept off my feet three fucking times by the fast water and loosened rocks.

Fishing is great but, in the pocket water, big nymphs worked along on the bottom outperformed dries 5 to 1.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-13-2011 at 11:05 AM.

I flew over the Buffalo fork, (Upper snake trib) and the Snake, (Dam - airport), yesterday afternoon. There are quite a few new channels on both. Looked like some really good structure was created from downed cottonwoods and coniferous trees on the wade setcion of the Bullalo. Only saw a little above that but definitely some new channels up higher. That one is still a mess!

Noticed new channels mostly between Deadman's and the airport. Tough to tell which are or will be passable but got a good look when the plane banked. Makes me want to fish the Snake soon! Careful! There will be plenty of new obstacles this season in the Park!

Floated the Maddy this afternoon. Boated 5 fish between my wife and I, she was the winner with 3, but I had the nicest with a 12ish inch Brown, and lost another really nice brown when it made a run towards the back or the boat, and her and her rod where in the way and he shook loose. All fish where caught on top with a big elk hair caddis taking all but one that took a small hopper. My lost fish also sipped the hopper, I'll get him next time.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

^^weak blaming the wive for loosing fish...

you got a wife floating the river fishing...that is great.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

As far as fly shops in Jackson go, I've always been a fan of westbank. But that's just my $.02.

So I just got out here (finally!)... sounds like the fishing is just starting to get good, eh?
    Stoked to get back out to some of the usual haunts - flat cr, gv, crystal, maybe the snake up in the park... I guess we'll see where we end up for the next few weeks... Any thoughts on the aforementioned? Thanks!
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    As far as fly shops in Jackson go, I've always been a fan of westbank. But that's just my $.02.

So I just got out here (finally!)... sounds like the fishing is just starting to get good, eh?
    Stoked to get back out to some of the usual haunts - flat cr, gv, crystal, maybe the snake up in the park... I guess we'll see where we end up for the next few weeks... Any thoughts on the aforementioned? Thanks!
    I am happy to float, wade or pass on beta if you'd like.

The larger fish which, on a "normal" year would be back in the snake and eating streamers, nymphs and foam shit, (in that order ), are mostly still in their spring water, with the exception of the cutts that hang out in the smaller creeks in the upper canyon and WW stretch. Still a lot of water moving through but I have heard of some big cutts being taken down deep on the WW stretch! Otherwise, the best fishing on the Snake will be in the side channels/creeks in the Park. Specifically, between Deadman's and Wilson. A few of the feeder creeks btwn Pac Cr and Deadman's will be fantastic too but they are few and far btwn compared to the 2 stretches below DM's. If you are not familiar with the Snake, (things appear to have changed significantly this year), and floating up in the Park, be very careful! You can wind up with a sunken boat or worse, dead real quick if you are not careful.

Fishing on the main channel from Pacific down to Elbow should be good if you are into a twinkie fest. They should be eating anything.

The GV in the Park is high for this time of year but warming fast. Most if not all of the seasonal fish in there have moved up or down. The farther you can go on the GV right now, the better! Haven't heard any reports form Crystal but I'd bet it is starting to come alive.

Flat Creek has been good. I was out on the opener and will leave it alone for another few weeks at least. Crowded hopper fishing there doesn't interest me much but I have heard from a few guys that they are eating all sorts of terrestrials, crane flies, some caddis and pmd's.... There has been an emergence of flying ants all over the valley. Those things should start to be a factor down there too, (all over for that matter).

Pacific creek is really going well but I'd bet only for another week-10days before it drops in the lower meadows. Up high should fish for a while if you wanna take a hike in bear country.

The Buffalo is cranking and cloudy.

No reports from the Hoback on my end anyway.

Is anyone else experiencing a relative decline in pmd hatches this summer? Seems like the pmd hatches in some areas are just a trickle of bugs and it barely lasts long enough to bother with. I'm guessing the prolonged high water disturbed habitat and flushed a lot of nymphs out of the rocks. 34 degrees at dawn today, summer is ending before it starts.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-16-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Is anyone else experiencing a relative decline in pmd hatches this summer? Seems like the pmd hatches in some areas are just a trickle of bugs and it barely lasts long enough to bother with. I'm guessing the prolonged high water disturbed habitat and flushed a lot of nymphs out of the rocks. 34 degrees at dawn today, summer is ending before it starts.
    Not sure about the PMDs specifically up here, but people are saying the same thing with regards to just about everything else. I think the massive runoff this year has everything to do with it. Both washing shit away, and lasting so long that normal cycles got all screwed up. And for once I am not ready for summer to be over, streamer fishing this fall had better be insane to make up for the lack of everything else this year.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I was walking my dog at 6:15 this morning and seeing my breath....all of it! Thought the same thing. Summer hatches really never materialized. Spring wasn't exactly wonderful in that dept either. I'm not out on a daily basis but pmd's have been scarce. The wet cold and late "spring" and all the water seemed to have helped delay the terrestrials close to the water too. Prolly short lived there too. Hopefully it stays warm this fall and the hatches are decent...I can wait for streamer days and snow!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    ^^weak blaming the wive for loosing fish...

you got a wife floating the river fishing...that is great.
    Agreed 100%. I am one lucky SOB so have a wife as awesome as she is. There was very little if anything that could have been done differently to land that fish, he head shook just right and without a barb he was gone. But I am American after all, so I have to blame someone else, so in this case its her.

Hoppers are here, and fish are looking up. They are out of practice though, and missed every time, and would never come back for another attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    GV is still a bit murky and high but super fun to check out all the new and modified side channels. I love that you can fish the same stretch of water year after year but get to explore it like it's new each spring.
    Jesus is it ever high, and yes, still somewhat murky. I haven't had any success in the few hours I've spent on the GV, but red hoppers were doing ok for my father..
    And wow, what a different river. The first time we showed up there, I had to convince my father that it was the same spot we were fishing last year.

I am happy to float, wade or pass on beta if you'd like.

The larger fish which, on a "normal" year would be back in the snake and eating streamers, nymphs and foam shit, (in that order ), are mostly still in their spring water, with the exception of the cutts that hang out in the smaller creeks in the upper canyon and WW stretch. Still a lot of water moving through but I have heard of some big cutts being taken down deep on the WW stretch! Otherwise, the best fishing on the Snake will be in the side channels/creeks in the Park. Specifically, between Deadman's and Wilson. A few of the feeder creeks btwn Pac Cr and Deadman's will be fantastic too but they are few and far btwn compared to the 2 stretches below DM's. If you are not familiar with the Snake, (things appear to have changed significantly this year), and floating up in the Park, be very careful! You can wind up with a sunken boat or worse, dead real quick if you are not careful.

Fishing on the main channel from Pacific down to Elbow should be good if you are into a twinkie fest. They should be eating anything.
    Interesting stuff, and thanks for all of the info!! Yea, I'm out with the family this time around, which is both a blessing (I get to go on a float of the green tomorrow!!, which I could never afford on my own) and a curse (my family's kind of nuts and the schedule is never really that certain...).
    No boat so we don't have to worry about sinking one, but is there much wade-accessible fishing between deadmans and wilson? Maybe off the RKO? Never really spent much time wade-fishing the snake, esp with all the other good stuff around the valley...

The GV in the Park is high for this time of year but warming fast. Most if not all of the seasonal fish in there have moved up or down. The farther you can go on the GV right now, the better! Haven't heard any reports form Crystal but I'd bet it is starting to come alive.
    Yea, the two times we've been out (only once for a good chunk of time), we were below the campground and I only saw one fish flash, while my father saw a few and got a few hits on some red hoppers, as I was sayin earlier. If we go back, I definitely plan on getting up much higher - any recommendations as to where to fish the gv higher up? I'm really only familiar with the stretch below the campground.
    Hopin' to get out to crystal maybe on tuesday? I guess we'll see what happens...

Flat Creek has been good. I was out on the opener and will leave it alone for another few weeks at least. Crowded hopper fishing there doesn't interest me much but I have heard from a few guys that they are eating all sorts of terrestrials, crane flies, some caddis and pmd's.... There has been an emergence of flying ants all over the valley. Those things should start to be a factor down there too, (all over for that matter).
    Having spent the last few evenings out in the elk refuge, it's been... interesting. Definitely treating us better so far this year than it did last year in august. I've hooked into 2 fish, one ~footish cuttie that I lost like an idiot and a 10" brookie (I guess I'd never really thought about it, but I had no idea there were brookies in there) that I caught with a rusty spinner, and have missed a few more on rusty spinners out there. Finally starting seeing some big rises today, but I wasn't able to put it all together. And as far as those flying ants go, I think my father pulled up a few smaller fish today with some great flying ant pattern.
    Also, being used to the insect activity on the streams in VT and my original home of MD, WOW there's so much bug activity out there. Each time I'm out there, I still find it amazing.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

some Utah rocky mountain shit

good land for rovin

next hole...

smoke, food, drink, piss, new fly....

lets see what's in this one...

a native amongst a sea of invaders

you go that way, I'll go this way

there can't be any fish in that pond down there

how'd he get in here?

more photos and words here....

Yeah Provo
    you should come to the fishin summit
    fish fhoto flies Fungus? Fun
    Ill row unless your into rowin then Id fish.
    I told Truth the inspired crew needs to make the pursuit of the fishes movie
    Tanner Fish?

fuck, that sounds like a sick event. I may be busy around that time but we'll see what happens. Tanner's not much of a fisherman but his dad is a die hard trout bum from NW montana that lives his life for the MO. We've been out on some waters here in utah but I've yet to make it up to his stretch. We'll do a fishing film im sure of it. would be cool to document this rocky mountain fishing summit one day. Im camp floating the green with my pop next week looking for the word on that stretch. A and B, maybe C hopefully floating beetles and what not.

Fishin good my pops just got back terrestrials starting to come off. Got 28 on the A today, My dads funny he loves to count em. He likes to throw the tripple double and crickets. I like this double posted ant pattern nobod sells in DJ.
    Thats funny to that Tanners dads a trout bum. Its in his blood hell probably be one someday, or well
    ya know fishin is what you make of it and Tanners no stranger to catchin a buzz. Ive posted a few Trs I dont start a lot of threads should be easy to find and L8apx just threw a fine one up.
    Camps cottonwood & Red creek have shitters which is nice. Pugmire pocket is my fav cause its easy to set camp and back row that stretch and get em and if it pours rain your above red creek and the willie wonka river of chocalate milk it can create. Sounds like a bit of a heat waves comin so cause pugs is surrounded by rocks if there is no wind at night or drastic cool it can be a hot camp. I also dig tree tops below rcc super shaded/shelter C has been fishin good the 8680 flows pushed a lot of silt out. blm camp and do as you like there are a few fire ring picnic tables but for most part once you go past pipeline and little swallow rapid there is a ghetto camp past the cliff walls on the right is the last one. After what they call shangralia a couple bends with an island and your into swallow canyon not much camping terrain till swallow boat ramp. Flows were 2400ish and droping a K over night. Trout Creek Flies is a good shop and the webites should have flows and a report. Pm me if ya want any more of my ramblin thoughts or borrow maps etc.
    Have fun take pretty pics and post em you excell at thats.

I just got back from a quick trip up in the Beartooths, it was great! Still lots of snow, but the fishing was great. I pretty much only fished Lower Aero Lake (oh my god, I named a fishing spot!), but there were a few fat 10-12" brookies to be had at the outlet and in the rocky areas along the shore, and then hundreds and hundreds of 16-18" cutthroats running up the creek between the lakes. I had to wade across a couple times, and literally had fish pounding against my ankles all the way across.

I had planned on fishing a few other lakes while I was up there, but the trip got cut short when I got a headache and dry heaves up on Mt Wilse the second day. I've never had any issues with elevation before, but I guess going from 2,000' to 12,000' in a week is finally starting to get to me.

Not much other than most rivers around the tetons are fishing very well. Southern Jellystone is fantastic too.