Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You mean Utah isn't always perfect with 40 inches for fresh every night? BLASPHEMY!!!!!
    Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things.

WRA got some good turns today.........as posted in T-tips. I wouldn't complain about these turns, would you?

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL348...9/76487391.jpg

I didn't mean to sound like a Utah snow bitch...just wanted to inform people who do not live here, that are going to spend money to come and play here to be forewarned of the conditions. Its looking like its going to get worse as the week goes on. south facing slopes might not warm up and be creamy..because the temps are going to hover around freezing and not be 45 or 50 degrees, like they have been. I mean, yesterday slopes were shiny as hell..glass-like. Even at 9000 feet.

Decent turns might be found but for the price some people may pay...why not pay the price when the conditions are better?

Thats all I meant...just try to give a heads up.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

I hear ya Stoy, If I wasn't local, I'd head to the desert cactus land.

kinda sucks to pick and plan dates so far in advance when today's flexibile travel options allow for sweet deals days before a storm. This fall has been epic in the Cottonwoods, looking forward to a long and stormy winter after a brief pause Last years summit at tahoe was 70+ degrees almost every day....hmm, maybe we should secretly switch the dates of the Jackson summit and exclude anyone who attended BOTH the Tahoe summit and the mini to ensure better weather.

ensure? insure? never get that one right

North of South, South of North, West of East

Thumbs up

Stoy, I understand exactly what you were saying. The conditions aren't what they could be, but there are a lot of people coming in from the East that have to book airfare, make work & family arrangements, and just can't feasibly back out at the last moment because of the weather forecast. I rolled the dice back around early September (I think, hell it's been so long ago that I don't really know) and gambled on UT the earliest I've ever been. To the EC'ers the glasslike surface won't matter. We're in UT, hooking up with the fellow maggots, having a great time. If the snow comes it will be great, if it doesn't it will be great. Having spent most of my ski life on the EC, the one thing all EC'ers laugh about when they visit the West is the locals saying "It's so icy today." Believe me, it's not. At thier worst your areas are so much better than what we have here. They will be all of that and some more next week. Let the Mini commence.

PS: It just started snowing here. I'm kinda pissed because I was wanting to check out the meteors tonight. But I think it's a good portent of things to come.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

North of South, South of North, West of East

Thumbs up

One more gem:

A friend I ski with (actually he boards) says:

"Think snow, and it will come."

Credit to Joe H.

I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

I come from the east (ice) coast and laughed when people said it was icy out here...because i know what skiing ice is..or was. i admit it..i cannot ski ice anymore..and had to these past few days. But at least the ice is natural and not man-made.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Another positive for ECers is the lack of crowds. If there's no snow, there is nobody at Alta/Bird (and nobody ever at Solitude/Basin). For those of us used to the clusterfuck that is an EC weekend resort day, that is another bonus (although obviously I'd trade snow for dealing with crowds)

Edited for not emphasizing the sarcasm - I posted the alpental pic to show those that have already bought plane tix, etc... that things could be a lot worse than sunshine and moderate temps.

Whether it ends up dumping or not, you'll have a great time. It's UT, after all We're just so darn jealous right now in the NW because most of our hills are still bare and also have no snow in the forecast.... arrgghhhhhh!!!!

yeah I don't think I've EVER complained about a west coast trail being icy, sure there might be a patch here or there but there is NOTHING compared to some of the scary "double blacks" we have out here on the East. They're not really that difficult, except when Joey from Jersey, and his buddys Larry the lemming and Gaper Jim decide that they're going to be badasses and proceed to sideslip down the run scraping every piece of edgible snow off of the run and leaving the entire run looking like a vertical ice rink
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Of course now the big question becomes what skis to bring? I was just going to bring the REX's, but do I bring the SuperSpeeds?

Ok Backpack I'll probably see you at the Basin.

Lets hope this thing keeps it soft.
    http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_ir_enh_west.gif
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch