Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let's be honest.

Conditions in Utah suck right about now. Temps are looking to get colder with no really no snow in the forecast, but it will be sunny. If it were me..I'd bail in a heart beat and head to southern Utah for some biking, hiking, and canyoneering.

I personally do not think it is worth the trip to ski, but getting away is always good. I'd just pick some other place right now.

Anyway, have fun, whoever comes, hopefully I can hook up with some of you some other time. Off to MT this weekend.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stoysluttie1
    Conditions in Utah suck right about now. Temps are looking to get colder with no really no snow in the forecast, but it will be sunny. If it were me..I'd bail in a heart beat and head to southern Utah for some biking, hiking, and canyoneering.

I personally do not think it is worth the trip to ski, but getting away is always good. I'd just pick some other place right now.

Anyway, have fun, whoever comes, hopefully I can hook up with some of you some other time. Off to MT this weekend.
    Half of me says, "party pooper!" The other half would like to say "thank you for saving me money!"

Cheers, Stoy!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

The MINI Summit attendees thank you.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Hey..party all you want..I just had friends in town...they had good spirits, mentally and liquid form...just were not excited about the conditions except the day we had sunshiny cream. Don't expect that later this week.

Save your money indeed.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    The MINI Summit attendees thank you.
    I hear you, Buzz, but for those of us who can only make Utah once or twice a year it's good to know what's going on. I don't think Stoy was trying to stifle the stoke...just stating the facts. The mini will still be fun, fo' sho', me thinks.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

A few inches of new midweek followed by sun and not too high temps for the weekend sounds o.k. to me. Way, way better than the conditions in Washington, that's for sure. I'm just happy to get on the snow.

Hey..party all you want..I just had friends in town...they had good spirits, mentally and liquid form...just were not excited about the conditions except the day we had sunshiny cream. Don't expect that later this week.

Save your money indeed.
    I can see that. But it is better than the EC and many have spent money and all for this.

And yes we may party, but I was under the impression we were going to ski and ride.

I admit, I am bailing on the mini mostly due to the weather and snow conditions. It's hard to justify spending a bunch of money, traveling time, and being away from my wife for sub-par conditions and no new snow in the forecast.

Skiing at Alta last weekend was outstanding and should remain so for the short term. The new Collins chair kicks some serious ass. I know this every time I try to stand up.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    But it is better than the EC...
    You mean it's better than this right now and people are bailing? Apparently, I live in the wrong part of the country.

http://jaypeakresort.com/files/JayPeak2005/apod2017.jpg

<edited for sarcasm emphasis> at least you're not in WA (thankfully Baker has some snow a few hours north)
    "We have delayed our opening due to the devastating rain last Thursday and Friday. Stay tuned for more info"
    http://images.boothcreek.com/summit/cam/testSki.jpg

Damn, I'd actually be excited (sort of) to rip some EC hard pack or crud
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 12-13-2004 at 07:39 PM.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    I've only gotten in 1 day so far this season. Those conditions at Alpental above look totally f'ing great at the moment. THe Mini will be good, even if the conditions are not epic. I'm still counting on some pow over the weekend though, despite the forecast. I've never been to UT and been totally skunked.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Quote Originally Posted by teledave
    I'm still counting on some pow over the weekend though, despite the forecast. I've never been to UT and been totally skunked.
    i like your attitude!
    I want a 6" travel 20lb MTB. I found the 20lb MTB, but only good for riders under 87 pounds.

No, the conditions aren't great... but at least there's decent coverage and bombing down hardpack groomers mid-week isn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead
    Skiing at Alta last weekend was outstanding and should remain so for the short term. The new Collins chair kicks some serious ass. I know this every time I try to stand up.
    The short term is over.

We were all over Alta this morning. Conditions ranged from edgeable hard snow (in the Castle) with some short 3 inch deep windbuff sections, to avie debris, to OK bumps, to sunbaked crust.

To be honest, we didn't last very long today. 4 (5?) hikes out to the castle with visits to the batcave plus a few Collins laps. Dantheman got a 15-ish footer by the cave and the sound his body made impacting with the landing was LOUD.

If BumZ hadn't called me last night to inform me that I was skiing Alta today, I probably would have ridden the superpipe at Park City all day.

Exclamation

Did Dan walk away from the bombhole?

Conditions? Let's just say I wish I had a some GS skis at the moment.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Stoy, your spoiled from last week. Have fun in Montana, let's get out when you get back.

I had a great day today, watch the vid.

South faces are set up for some nice corn skiing. You just need to stay on south faces, nothing else. And it is still advisable to stay on lower angle slopes.

Area skiing might be crunchy, but the bc is great for fast, easy skinning, and fun descents.

Solitude was great yesterday. Good coverage, nice soft bumps, great windbuff and plenty of chalky snow on the steeps. I couldn't find one thing wrong with the whole day. Today (at PCMR) was a different story.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster
    Solitude was great yesterday. Good coverage, nice soft bumps, great windbuff and plenty of chalky snow on the steeps. I couldn't find one thing wrong with the whole day. Today (at PCMR) was a different story.
    I blame you for this drought.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 13
    I blame you for this drought.
    Blame me, I am the culprit. I invited all these people out here.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 13
    Did Dan walk away from the bombhole?
    No. He's still there.

I figured we'd go back and clear him out of the runout next time it snows. Throw a cowcatcher on the front of the pain train or something.

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    No. He's still there.

I figured we'd go back and clear him out of the runout next time it snows. Throw a cowcatcher on the front of the pain train or something.
    [Disturbing image of Xover comes to mind. No whistle necessary.]

Better than the skiing where I am. We have all sorts of dirt conditions. Granular pebbles, Baltimore cement (aka Mud), sand powder, and gravel.

I could give a crap - I am bringing the skis and looking forward to groomers if that is what is available. I am also up for hiking when needed.

I have been thinking of hitting Powder Mountain on Thursday, which might offer some nice conditions - Utards?
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

PowMow

Have not heard or been up there for a month. Maybe everyone else is in the same boat and you may have a good idear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop
    I have been thinking of hitting Powder Mountain on Thursday, which might offer some nice conditions - Utards?
    I turned down work to represent at basin thursday... you bitches better show.

Also, it's been warm EVERYWHERE in Utah, so it doesn't really matter where you go. At least basin has some steep groomed stuff open.