Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Equestrian types official thread

Hey horsie people! Let's keep this thread going for the ponies! Check in!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Stay off of my fucking trails. Especially if they are wet.

We built them.
    And maintain them.

Other than that, pet your horsie, and feed him carrots.
    He is a nice horsie.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I just love horses!

Hah!!! Excellent.

Animals will destroy any singletrack not designed specifically to support pack animals.
    It requires a team of pack animals to haul the amount of gear necessary to build a trail that supports pack animals. Its a useless cycle.

During a summer spent building trail I noticed that anyone riding by on an animal either looked scared out of their mind or bored out of their mind.

Last edited by tricameron; 02-08-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: type too fast

yeah, horses are the suck for trails in anything but super compact clay soils. Keep them on the dirt roads, or no trail at all..

how the fuck do you MTB guys think people got out west?!?

show some respect...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Thread reminds me of the attitude toward snowboarders 20 years ago...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Mountain bikes, obviously.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Who the fuck wants to ride single track on a horse?

Not me!

I own a Bicycle store, have more bikes than most of ya'll have skis and not
    one of my SIX horses has ever been near a single-track, nor will be!

So chill on the hate and back to the ponies!

Look at this little bitch, Coco, a sweet natured 4-legged battering-ram

South Carolina has the best footing for horses and miles and miles of good trials, many of which are horses only, no bikes. Of course hardly anyone mountain bikes there since most of it is flat but makes for good riding.

My horses are barefoot this winter but when I was riding a ton, I had a set of winter shoes for them. The Rockies are hard on horses feet between the rocks, mud and dry climate but it's a damn fine place to ride!

Catching air on horses is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post

show some respect...
    First: wagons, pulled by ox, mule and yes, horse. That said, keep your horse on wagon trails only?

second: I think we should adhere to temporal relativity when making an argument, unless you're also trying to pursuad that civil war re-enactors should be honored as national heroes.

jgb@etree Guest
    I'm going to have to find an old picture of the horse that made me hate horses.

When I was ~5 years old, my mother took me to her friends farm to ride the horses. I only have a few select memories from that day (some pics kicking around that I'll dig up) but apparently everything went great. Supposedly I was loving the horses.

After riding and playing for a while, i got to feed one of the horses a carrot. Cool, right? According to Mom, I fed him about half before I got scared that he was going to mistakenly gnaw off my hand and let go. Horse kept chomping away. I then turned around, and as my back was facing the beast, he stuck his big snout out between the fence rails, bit me in the ass and lifted me off the ground about a foot. Still hungry I guess?

Anyhow, from that point forward, I've never really been a huge fan of horses.

They're shadier than cats, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Stay off of my fucking trails. Especially if they are wet.

We built them.
    And maintain them.

Other than that, pet your horsie, and feed him carrots.
    He is a nice horsie.
    'Round here (well, in Rock Creek Park) it's the complete opposite, W. Trails are built and maintained by the Horsey crowd and Bikers aren't allowed anywhere near them.

Nohizzle: Daughter is all about the horse thing now... to be expected at the age of 10. She has decided she prefers Western to English. She lectures me at length on the strong and weak points of various equines at the stables.

I can't wait to go skiing. Soon.

I love horses. Worked last summer at a camp whose owner is one of the top polocrosse riders around. If you've never seen it, that is just about the coolest team sport I have witnessed.

I got to ride quite a bit and my son learned to ride over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    First: wagons, pulled by ox, mule and yes, horse. That said, keep your horse on wagon trails only?

second: I think we should adhere to temporal relativity when making an argument, unless you're also trying to pursuad that civil war re-enactors should be honored as national heroes.
    art thou trying to harsh my anachronism?!?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Equestrian... well that's the gayest word in the English language.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

worse than "fabulous"?!?

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post

They're shadier than cats, if you ask me.

I have seen them do some odd things... It's the ponies you have to watch out for. They can be mean little bastards! Go to catch one and they spin around and kick out at you, nippy...

They are quirky. My sweetest mare will pretend to nip at you just once, right after the saddle sets on her. Look her in the eye and she is done, ears forward, licking her lips like "who me?"

Allot has to do with how they live and how they are handled, a bit like dogs.
    Mine live as a herd, all the time. The only time they are apart is if I am riding one. They are super calm when caught and tied up, their mind changes gears from when they are running free as a mob, then try and catch one!

The psychology is pretty interesting to see on a day by day basis. You catch the leader and the rest come stand next to that one and give up.

a few of my gang-
    Last edited by Crampedon; 02-08-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    ...physiology...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    ...psychology...
    ok, that's better... you know you can just edit your orig. post right?!?

For clarification:
    I am referring to trails built BY and FOR Mt. Bikers.
    Not historical trails (which often pre-date horses) etc, blah blah.
    In the west, Mt. Bikers are emerging as the No. 1 group of builders, maintainers, and political activists for public trails. Brave new world, people.

Same here on Maui, the trails we mostly ride in Kahakapao are built and maintained by mountain bikers. I would not even think of taking one of my horses up there... Nothing like railing into a berm and avoiding a pile of horse shit. Not many horses up in there now but they are allowed.

Oh, Jfrost, post policeman, yeah somehow double posted, fixed it for ya!

The physiology of their legs in bloody amazing. And the Psychology too. My friends dad used to say they had a brain ALMOST as big a Rooster...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmc6r88YScQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Super Slow Motion of Horse on Treadmill at 30 mph[/nomedia]
    Last edited by Crampedon; 02-08-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Stay off of my fucking trails.
    MTBer's should really try to work with equestrian groups. I would like to ride in Wilderness area's again someday!

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    After riding and playing for a while, i got to feed one of the horses a carrot. Cool, right? According to Mom, I fed him about half before I got scared that he was going to mistakenly gnaw off my hand and let go. Horse kept chomping away. I then turned around, and as my back was facing the beast, he stuck his big snout out between the fence rails, bit me in the ass and lifted me off the ground about a foot. Still hungry I guess?
    Apple Bottom jeans?

The only thing I know about horses is that its good to have a girlfriend that rides them. I know this from first hand experience.