This documentary is even better than "Planet Earth"

James Burke's "Connections". Available (legally) from torrents or on youtube. It's shot in the disco era, so the clothing is a bit weird, but having watched a few episodes every night before going to bed, I realize that it harks back to a long gone era when people could talk eloquently about subjects and convey messages via speech, rather than special effects.

He has a similar way about it to David Attenborough. I guess they're from the same era, but he's funnier and the subject is rather different: what were all the coincidences that led to the world we live in today.

Sampler:

World record bump?
    Maybe, but I DVR'd Planet Earth, and then after the Shallow Seas episode, I had to binge watch the rest over the last couple days. Fungi is so cool. Now I want to re-watch "Connections".
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Connections is one of the best things ever on TV.

How did we end up going to the moon, well a guy way back in the day lent a bunch of money from the Medici's and couldn't pay it back.....
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

His passion was evident - thats some quality programming ! many hours weaving through history with that kook