Snowbasin Question

Looking at the Snowbasin trail map. You have the JP Express, and then the Mt. Allen Tram. On the trail map the MA tram looks like it is 1/7 the length of the JP express.

What is the story? Bad scale, the tram is really short?

Lastly, what are the conditions like right now?

THX in advance.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

It's pretty short.
    It's idomatic, beatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop
    Looking at the Snowbasin trail map. You have the JP Express, and then the Mt. Allen Tram. On the trail map the MA tram looks like it is 1/7 the length of the JP express.

What is the story? Bad scale, the tram is really short?

Lastly, what are the conditions like right now?

THX in advance.
    The Mt Allen tram is the Olympic tram that takes them up to the start shack for the downhill course. Yes, it is very short. Get off it and go right along the ridge, hike for about 5 minutes up and you will have a sweet section of steepers, No Name peak come down the boundary, the trail map shows a good pic of where to go. Or head straight down the downhill course and pucker with speed.

Snowbasin

Live Webcams

Use your mouse to move the camera and look up the hill. It is nice today!!
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 12-13-2004 at 11:43 AM.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

tram ~500 vertical feet/1000 feet long

just goes from the top of JP to Mt. Allen and the men's downhill start, a two beer cans on coasters, 15 passenger type jigback

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    The Mt Allen tram is the Olympic tram that takes them up to the start shack for the downhill course. Yes, it is very short. Get off it and go right along the ridge, hike for about 5 minutes up and you will have a sweet section of steepers, No Name peak come down the boundary, the trail map shows a good pic of where to go. Or head straight down the downhill course and pucker with speed.

Snowbasin

Live Webcams

Use your mouse to move the camera and look up the hill. It is nice today!!
    Of course, I am sure there will ba ample tour guides Thursday.

for a more visual representation:

http://kolkhoz.com/photos/random/sbmap-current.jpg
    The stuff in red is closed, the yellow has sketchy coverage or exit routes that I wouldn't try because I can't afford to get a core shot... if you don't care about your bases it would be fine. Also, though the mt. ogden flank gate (porky) was open, it was death ice crust.

All but the mt. ogden flank gate are closed. This includes No Name.

http://kolkhoz.com/photos/random/jpslide.jpg
    The slide they triggered on thursday on john paul face... it ran all the way past porky and over the trail.

http://kolkhoz.com/photos/random/tramarea1.jpg
    The tram and men's downhill start hut from JP. As you can see, the whole face slid and there are still plenty of rocks. The tram is not open.

http://kolkhoz.com/photos/random/mbarea1.jpg
    A view of the middle bowl area from becker. This is where the bulk of open terrain is, though the upper areas are still closed.

All photos taken on Saturday, December 11.

Basically, the women's downhill was really fun, and some faces that started to warm up and melt got to be pretty fast and springy. It's like skiing in mid-april, but without the good coverage down low.

Better hope it warms up! But its looks like its going to get colder. Shitty conditions. Come some other time I would suggest.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Does sinclair own snowbasin or something? This is the copyright thing I get at the bottom of the webcam page.

"
    Copyright © 2004 Sinclair Oil Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    No portion of this site may be reproduced without permission
    "
    Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 people.

Quote Originally Posted by swiss powda
    Does sinclair own snowbasin or something?
    Earl Holding owns snowbasin, sun valley, little america hotels, and sinclair oil. Sinclair is the big money maker and sort of umbrella for everything else, as I understand it.

Of slight note is that Earl was at basin saturday chatting with people outside the base lodge. Had a cane but was swinging it around as a pointer at times so it looks like he's recovered somewhat from his stroke. He did look kinda haggard, though.

Thx Backpack - informative reply.

That backpack sure knows the basin. Great post for all of us out of towners.

It's looking like I won't get out that way again until between X-mas and New Years.