Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

big wave skiing is here. Chuck Patterson at Jaws

Last year Cody and Mike opened the door on it, Chuck has made it a reality.

I'm sure people will comment on it not looking as "cool" as surfing, but it looks really fun! Props to Chuck!

I don't know. It does not look as cool as surfing...

It does look like fun, tho. The top turn looks much more natural than the bottom turn. But Chuck, stop dragging your uphill pole.

Solid work at tackling large waves.

Looks like it would be really fun to do even if it doesn't look particularly stylish to the third party observer yet.

I could see the whole ariels off the lip blowing way up though. That dude has a giant set to tackle waves that big on a relatively new technology.

Look fun. It's kind of funny he uses poles, but it probably feels way more natural to have them than not.
    Thanks Shane

Was he on DPS SPOONS?!?! OMG!

I'de like to see him drop a knee. Then I'll be impressed.

Sweet. Kind of looks like he needs slarvier boards.

Kinda goofy looking, but pretty badass. That guy's got some balls.

Now that he's wave skiing, can we still call him "Huck Splatterson?"
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Makes you wonder why water skiers didn't do this first?

i would def like to try that...i look goofy skiing anyways

well the off season just got that much more interesting...
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I highly doubt this will ever become a real 'sport', but I gotta hand it to Chuck, he made it look pretty damn good. I can definitely say that given the right right resources, it's really fun. The bigger the waves, the more fun it is. Of course, it takes balls of steel. Luckily, Chuck never got pounded in these sessions.

When you consider that the total number of hours of wave skiing done by humans is less than 100, I'd say it's looking pretty good. If somebody dedicated some serious time to this and developed some good skis, they could do some impressive stuff.

For the poles: I think it looks better with poles than without. Cody and I brought poles but they fell off the jet ski in the rough water before we had a chance to use them. When we were doing it, I kept thinking 'What the hell should I do with my hands?' As a skier, you use poles, it's just a lot more comfortable.

Looks like dude needs to get his boots dialed in to make it look more "stylish". A full carbon fiber boot(something really light but still relatively stiff) with ankle support would go a long way.

That's about how I look on skis if I click into my bindings and ski with light weight hikers or tennis shoes on- it's hard to maintain balance center without breaking at the waist. Try it sometime, it's retarded but good for a laugh.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Looks really cool, I think the main thing that will prevent it from being a 'real sport' is the fact that it seems like it's restricted to tow-in only. I can't really figure out how you'd get up on the wave yourself at a more 'normal' surf spot without a jetski.

Normal shots look kind of gimp. POV shots = pure sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

looks fun to me.

POV was rad.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by roadgap View Post
    Looks really cool, I think the main thing that will prevent it from being a 'real sport' is the fact that it seems like it's restricted to tow-in only. I can't really figure out how you'd get up on the wave yourself at a more 'normal' surf spot without a jetski.
    A splitboard of course - the next logical progression in the sport. Just gotta get those transitions dialed so you can get it from board back to skis mid-drop.

I think its FKN awesome! I always loved surfing although I am not very good at it and would love to try this, all I need is a jet ski.

Love the pov shots and water pole plant steeze. The chop on the wave must have made it really hard even without the size of the wave to contend with.

I'd love to see tom from Austria develop an aqua rax and make proper use of the rax fins

Quote Originally Posted by mikedski View Post
    For the poles: I think it looks better with poles than without. Cody and I brought poles but they fell off the jet ski in the rough water before we had a chance to use them. When we were doing it, I kept thinking 'What the hell should I do with my hands?' As a skier, you use poles, it's just a lot more comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Normal shots look kind of gimp. POV shots = pure sex.
    I thought the POV shots with the poles were incredible too, but for some reason the normal shots made it look like his stance was 4 feet apart and really hinged at the waist. Maybe its just the scale, on most slopes except monsters there is some way to see how fast a person is going, this looked like he was kinds crawling along the flats (even though I know he was hauling ass).

Anyone have any input on what the actual pitch of the wave is that he is riding on? Seeing someone bomb down 15 degrees is never really impressive no matter how smokin they are, maybe that has something to do with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

I see the poles getting 86'd for an oar like the standup paddle borders use. More rocker and a pin tail would stabilize the ride, a fin would be stupid as it would get caught up.

In a world of been there done that, I bet it gets traction and blows up big.

That was awesome. I love watching the progression of sports - whether it really takes off or not, who knows, but who cares. Some rad peeps out there are giving it a go and having a blast. Must look wicked from the point watching them drop in. I bet a few people are confused at first.

Cool as hell.
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikedski View Post
    I highly doubt this will ever become a real 'sport', but I gotta hand it to Chuck, he made it look pretty damn good.
    funny, people used to tell me that many moons ago when i started snowboarding.

and anyways, what a 'real sport'?

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Looks like dude needs to get his boots dialed in to make it look more "stylish"...etc. etc.

That's about how I look on skis if I click into my bindings and ski with light weight hikers or tennis shoes on- it's hard to maintain balance center without breaking at the waist, blah blah blah.
    Man. Sad to see dentists on the internet critiquing, in all seriousness, Chuck Patterson.

Chuck, you should've jumped a shark when you were out there. Oops; looks like this POS site beat you to it.