Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    digging my new Lodge carbon steel

I bought a 12” and I already want a 10” or an 8”

or both

what I really want is an enameled skillet
    Why? You don’t get good fond on enamel
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Why? You don’t get good fond on enamel
    Pure bullshit.

California cities are starting to ban NG in new construction. Despite the fact that PGE plan to turn off the electricity to a good part of the state repeatedly in fire season for years to come. I hate electric stoves although maybe I'd like induction if I had to use it.
    How much gas does a cook top use over a year. Although I suppose it doesn't matter--I doubt gas companies are going to supply houses if the heat and hot water are electric.

propane and propane accessories

I’ve not lived anywhere with piped NG in a looong time.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I have NG. Hopefully by the time it's an issue it will be the next owners problem.

propane and propane accessories

I’ve not lived anywhere with piped NG in a looong time.
    We had propane, were very happy when the NG was put in. Loved having the neighbor's steel roof unload 5 feet of snow on our propane tank, loved shoveling it out even more. If I didn't have neighbors I guess propane would be ok.

Bumping this thread.

After cooking on a gas stove for years, I now live somewhere with a glass top electric stove, and my cast iron pans don't seem to work well. I get that it will take longer for them to heat up, but what seems to be happening is that the center of the pan gets smoking hot and the sides are still fairly cool to the touch. When I use "normal" pots for things like boiling water, they work just fine, so I am not sure how/why the slower heat transmissivity of the cast iron is the cause of such a huge difference. I have tried putting the pan on with the burner set to low for a few minutes, to pre-heat it, but that is annoying because it takes a lot more time and hasn't been terribly successful either.

I love cooking with my cast iron pans but am having a much harder time of it now. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Cast Iron Skillet

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Bumping this thread.

After cooking on a gas stove for years, I now live somewhere with a glass top electric stove, and my cast iron pans don't seem to work well. I get that it will take longer for them to heat up, but what seems to be happening is that the center of the pan gets smoking hot and the sides are still fairly cool to the touch. When I use "normal" pots for things like boiling water, they work just fine, so I am not sure how/why the slower heat transmissivity of the cast iron is the cause of such a huge difference. I have tried putting the pan on with the burner set to low for a few minutes, to pre-heat it, but that is annoying because it takes a lot more time and hasn't been terribly successful either.

I love cooking with my cast iron pans but am having a much harder time of it now. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Is your place a rental or a budget flip? The low end electric glass tops are garbage. That’s your issue. Not the pan. If you own the place, start saving for a new stove. If you’re renting, just deal with it…. Seriously, the old school coil electric tops are better than the new glass tops. Go induction or gas.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Could be that your cast iron isnt dead flat on the bottom. I know one of mine isn't but don't care because, gas.

It's a rental, so I am stuck with it for now, unless it dies.

And yeah, the lack of flat may be the problem (and the larger 12" skillet has a raised ring on the bottom too).

Is there anything that can help, some kind of diffuser or magic trick?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I use my cast iron on a flat top to pan fry steaks. Freaking awesome

Anyone do pizza in a cast iron? That's my next go

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Could be that your cast iron isnt dead flat on the bottom. I know one of mine isn't but don't care because, gas.
    I’d bet $37 this is your problem. My old houses electric stove was the shit for searing but if I used the slightly cupped carbon pan…. Only the center 4” heated up.

I use cast iron for everything and have a wide size range of pans, skillets and a pizza pan. One habit I use all the time is I preheat the cast iron pans, often several which I plan to use for a given sesh, in the oven or air fryer/toaster oven. The pre heating process gets the pan uniformly hot and when I move it to the glass electric range top, the heat is more evenly dispersed initially and throughout the cooking process. Can’t beat the side effect of a nice warm kitchen in this cold cabin I live in!

Bumping this thread.

The longer you preheat the cast iron the better--I usually start preheating will I'm still prepping. 10 minutes or more, and at the same temp setting you'll be cooking at. It's still hotter in the center, even with a large gas burner, but the preheating helps. I've gotten more selective about what I use the cast iron for. I see that Amazon sells aluminum diffuser plates but I've never used one. They all look the same from "different" companies, all described with the same semi-understandable facsimile of English. In theory they should help the pan heat more evenly although it will take longer. (I use a steel mesh diffuser to simmer stuff slowly but that's different.)

Preheating in the oven would work even better but that's even more hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post

deep dish, and it works fine. I haven't tried "real" pizza. With deep dish you do it in a cold pan to get the crust spread out and up the sides. I would expect making regular pizza in a preheated pan would work as well as a pizza stone, if you can figure out how to get the pizza in and out of the pan.
    If you cut a deep dish pizza in the cast iron it will scratch the pan although it doesn't seem to hurt its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post

same here, In butter with a couple sprigs of rosemary, the BBQ hasnt been used in a long time

also picked up a set of Zwilling 3 layer SS some with proper lids and all which i use either or for steaks

the cast iron is defintely more nonstick than the SS
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I just bought a Crock Pot cast iron skillet, ceramic coated, for doing fritattas

ATK recommends pre-heating cast iron pans in the oven, even if you have a gas range.

yeah, I may try that. But that's kind of annoying. Was hoping someone had a simpler solution, like if someone in the same boat had used one of those diffusers. I have searched on amazon, and the same product will have several reviews saying it worked for glass cooktops and several saying it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ATK recommends pre-heating cast iron pans in the oven, even if you have a gas range.
    I will have to try that ^^

the cast iron is good for Frittata's

I don't worry too much about non-stick just use lots of oil

its good to have cast iron & SS options

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I just add my oil and put the pan on my glass top on medium low to preheat for 10 minutes or so, then crank the heat

Jacques Pepin has a great Poulet au Vinegare recipe where he tells you to just put the chicken thighs skin side down in a cold pan, no oil , medium high for 7 minutes, lid on/simmer for 20 and it turns out prefect every time

yeah, I may try that. But that's kind of annoying. Was hoping someone had a simpler solution, like if someone in the same boat had used one of those diffusers. I have searched on amazon, and the same product will have several reviews saying it worked for glass cooktops and several saying it didn't.
    simpler solution than preheating the pan?

jesus christ you really are a tool
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

simpler solution than preheating the pan?

jesus christ you really are a tool
    if everything I post triggers you that much, just put me on ignore, ok? because it's fucking ridiculous that you have to take shots at me for such stupid shit. But keep on keeping on, you're on ignore now so you can take all the shots you want. And I regret ever trying to help you with shit in the past, I sure won't ever again, because you're obviously not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Jacques Pepin has a great Poulet au Vinegare recipe where he tells you to just put the chicken thighs skin side down in a cold pan, no oil , medium high for 7 minutes, lid on/simmer for 20 and it turns out prefect every time
    but normaly I just go ahead and preheat the pan on the burner

in the most drama free way I can

You know what's great? Cast iron skillets on an induction stove. "Pre-heat" takes like 5 seconds.