Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Cast Iron Skillet

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What's the deal with enamel lined cast iron dutch ovens? Better non stick than unfinished seasoned cast iron or just fancier looking? Certainly a lot more expensive. I
    Work great. Look for Lodge...very heavy and way cheaper that Le Creuset and similar
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 04-08-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Love my lodge enameled cast iron! I have a couple of the big Dutch ovens and they're great. Not on par in terms of quality with le crueset and staub but most of the way there and way less expensive. That said enameled cast iron is not non stick like really cast iron. Great for cooking a chicken and some root veggies tho...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Recently got this from a friend's anybody know what the H stamp is? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200414_165806.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	325265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200414_165814.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	325266

Edit got it. Wagner umarked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

We got a Williams Sonoma enameled cast iron dutch oven (made by Staub) this Fall. We're vegetarians so we don't do a lot of the stuff that others do in theirs, but one thing that has been great is baking bread. We have a no knead recipe that's about as easy as possible and works great in the Dutch oven. We make it once every week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    We got a Williams Sonoma enameled cast iron dutch oven (made by Staub) this Fall. We're vegetarians so we don't do a lot of the stuff that others do in theirs, but one thing that has been great is baking bread. We have a no knead recipe that's about as easy as possible and works great in the Dutch oven. We make it once every week or two.
    This is well covered and standard in the bread baking thread. You sure don't need the enamel plain cast works fine. The key, as mentioned, of the enamel is for acidic foods and sauces which don't blend well with plain cast iron

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    This is well covered and standard in the bread baking thread. You sure don't need the enamel plain cast works fine. The key, as mentioned, of the enamel is for acidic foods and sauces which don't blend well with plain cast iron

Huh, I never went into the bread thread as it says sourdough and I only bake non-sourdough.

I never meant to imply that the Dutch oven needed to be enameled for the bread. It's just the type we ended up with for other reasons but we've ended up using it for bread more than anything.

Huh, I never went into the bread thread as it says sourdough and I only bake non-sourdough.

I never meant to imply that the Dutch oven needed to be enameled for the bread. It's just the type we ended up with for other reasons but we've ended up using it for bread more than anything.
    I'll check out the bread thread for info on dutch oven style, but curious to learn about your recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    I'll check out the bread thread for info on dutch oven style, but curious to learn about your recipe?
    No knead bread recipe posted in that bread thread by me I believe. It's easy to find. Nytimes has a great one. I got tired of the long wait with no knead and started kneading really isn't hard.

^^^ Groovy, thanks ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    I mostly do variants of this recipe: https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/no-knead-bread/

My most commonly made version:
    3 cups flour (I usually do half and half bread vs. all purpose vs. the recipe's straight all purpose)
    2 tsp salt (up from 1.75 of the recipe above)
    1/2 tsp active dry yeast
    1.5 cups room temperature water

Mix the dry ingredients
    Mix in the water
    Cover and let sit 12-24 hours (recipe says 12-18, but we usually do 18-22 to make sure it rises well and out of convenience of making it the evening before and baking it for dinner, when the house is warmer in the summer it might rise faster)
    Preheat the oven to 450 with the dutch oven inside so the dutch oven is very hot when you put the dough in
    Sprinkle some cornmeal/flour on the bottom of the oven
    Flour your hands and form the dough into a ball. Put it in the dutch oven.
    Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, then another 15-20 with it off.
    Enjoy.

I have a cast aluminium dutch oven i bought for kayak camping and i'm gona try this ^^
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I mostly do variants of this recipe: https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/no-knead-bread/

3 cups flour (I usually do half and half bread vs. all purpose vs. the recipe's straight all purpose)
    1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Mix the dry ingredients
    Mix in the water
    Cover and let sit 12-24 hours (recipe says 12-18, but we usually do 18-22 to make sure it rises well and out of convenience of making it the evening before and baking it for dinner, when the house is warmer in the summer it might rise faster)
    Preheat the oven to 450 with the dutch oven inside so the dutch oven is very hot when you put the dough in
    Enjoy.
    Pretty much the nyt recipe

1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Mix the dry ingredients
    Mix in the water
    Enjoy.
    Dope! I'll give that a try, gotta get some active dry yeast... and some instant yeast for the Times recipe. Bake off!

We’ve had this skillet for years. I season it regularly (mostly stovetop w/veggie oil).

Is this discoloration normal? it’s smooth, not rough, but has these brown spots that just seem unusual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5702.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	332684

it's hungry for bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    We’ve had this skillet for years. I season it regularly (mostly stovetop w/veggie oil).

Is this discoloration normal? it’s smooth, not rough, but has these brown spots that just seem unusual.

I have one skillet that has done the same. I've just ignored it and continued to cook. No issues. I have no idea if the experts say that I should do something different, though.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Mix the dry ingredients
    Mix in the water
    Enjoy.
    Thanks for sharing, cant wait to giver er a go
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Eat meat and report back. JK

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post

Normal.

Everyone's too obsessed with the color of their seasoning. The reality is, if you use your cast iron or carbon steel pan a lot, it's not always going to be a nice uniform black. As long as it performs well.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Cast Iron Skillet

digging my new Lodge carbon steel

I bought a 12” and I already want a 10” or an 8”

or both

what I really want is an enameled skillet
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 06-30-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Curious if anyone has else is cooking on induction with their cast iron. We're in the middle of a remodel and the rental we have has an induction range. It kicks massive ass with the cast iron. The seasoning and non-stick on them has never been better compared to our standard electric glass top.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

My last house had induction, and we cook 99% with cast iron. A rocking combo.

hmm

Yep, CI is perfect for induction heating.
    watch out for snakes

yeah but I don’t like electric

I’ve always had gas stoves

but the place I’m staying in now has it so I’ve got to figure it out