Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    The questions of MTM were temperature and time, not concept.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Cast Iron Skillet

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The questions of MTM were temperature and time, not concept.
    ^^^ that 2” steak was pulled from the oven @ 125 internal temp then seared in butter/herbs

(Tho maybe not 4mins/side)

He was in the right world, not worthy of the ketchup comment

Sous vide (and to a lesser extent the reverse sear ) lends itself particularly well to finishing in the skillet by basting with hot butter and whatnot cuz you don't need to get the skillet super hot, thereby running the risk of burning the all important whatnot, in order to brown the meat with the buttery goodness cuz the meat is cooked thru before it even hits the pan so it gets all maillardy and delicious with much less coaxing
    Imma fanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20220211_185333-01.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	418353
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    These guys make really nice stuff.
    https://madeincookware.com/collections/shop-all

This one is on the wish list:

I’d love to get “The Copper Set” on that link. An even more expensive learning curve to tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    ^^^ that 2” steak was pulled from the oven @ 125 internal temp then seared in butter/herbs

(Tho maybe not 4mins/side)

He was in the right world, not worthy of the ketchup comment
    Maybe if he wasn’t so convinced of his own greatness, the comments would be more helpful.

125* is too high for medium rare or medium. You have a medium well steak up there. NTTAWWT, I’d d eat it.

Anything below 135 is MR. Maybe we need a steakoff?

I cooked a steak 2 days ago, and I can guaranty that there was not a single iota of grey meat, because I made a quesadilla with the leftovers last night for dinner and everything just burst and melted in my mouth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	840.2 KB 
ID:	418367
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Cast Iron Skillet

You don’t have to develop a seasoning on carbon steel. Just season and go. A smooth surface is the most important thing. And fat. Carbon steel needs fat to be truly nonstick, and IME, butter is king for nonstick.

This is a good example, though you can cut this down to a couple minutes once you get the hang of it.

https://youtu.be/p6CoIEiIMOo
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Cast Iron Skillet

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Anything below 135 is MR. Maybe we need a steakoff?

I cooked a steak 2 days ago, and I can guaranty that there was not a single iota of grey meat, because I made a quesadilla with the leftovers last night for dinner and everything just burst and melted in my mouth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	840.2 KB 
ID:	418367
    Sure. But taking a steak out at 125 to do the reverse sear is too high. 125 youre already at the top end of rare and rising fast. Then to add more heat in searing and you’re well on your way to….well.

^that looks like a chicken breast grilled with bbq sauce on it btw.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Sure. But taking a steak out at 125 to do the reverse sear is too high. 125 youre already at the top end of rare and rising fast. Then to add more heat in searing and you’re well on your way to….well.

^that looks like a chicken breast grilled with bbq sauce on it btw.
    I see an hydraulic turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I see an hydraulic turtle.
    Pet turtle that didn't make it out of the house fire in time

Figure 7-10 deg rise in temp on a 2” steak during the rest time
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Cast Iron Skillet

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Maybe if he wasn’t so convinced of his own greatness, the comments would be more helpful.

125* is too high for medium rare or medium. You have a medium well steak up there. NTTAWWT, I’d d eat it.
    I’m aware people pull steak under 125 & let it rise to temp for rare

(I sure didn’t mean to get into a pissing war, just thought the reactions were a little harsh given there’s some softness to these “rules”)

I have to admit that 50% of my reaction was due to who posted (MTM) and the way they conduct themselves here on TRG. Of course I'm no slouch. We all give shit to people who don't like the same things we like.

Regarding finishing a steak (or mini roast in this case), we all have our preference. I don't like oil on my steak. If I finish it in a pan, I like a hot, dry pan. I'm not opposed to some brown butter pan sauce. However, I prefer a cold compound butter when it is plated. I know people get passionate about doneness. I like mine on the fine line between rare and medium rare. I'd eat black and blue if I raised and butchered my own. Yes, butter in the pan for black and blue. As a kid we always raised a few head and when we used certain butchers, steak tartar and black and blue were common. We often ate steak rare.

Lots of talk of 2" steaks, do y'all routinely get 2" steaks? Because the pictures posted are not 2", and I never see steaks that thick in the store. And the standard cut I have seen when buying a cow (1/4 or 1/2) is usually 1" or 1.25". Do you all go to a butcher and get your steaks cut special?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't usually eat a two inch steak. To me, that's the minimum thickness to reverse sear, which is why I mentioned it. Anything thinner and I just don't get how you can reverse sear and still get a rare or medium rare steak.

I don't usually eat a two inch steak. To me, that's the minimum thickness to reverse sear, which is why I mentioned it. Anything thinner and I just don't get how you can reverse sear and still get a rare or medium rare steak.
    That.

Lots of talk of 2" steaks, do y'all routinely get 2" steaks? Because the pictures posted are not 2", and I never see steaks that thick in the store. And the standard cut I have seen when buying a cow (1/4 or 1/2) is usually 1" or 1.25". Do you all go to a butcher and get your steaks cut special?
    The Costco strip steaks at our local are usually about 2" thick.

Costco sometimes has prime top round roasts, 2.5” or so thick. I cut them into steaks and do a reverse sear, then slice thin against the grain, like tri-tip

Couple years back, we got a Stargazer cast iron skillet as a Christmas gift. NOW I am a believer. Threw away our crappy "non-stick" junk.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Lots of talk of 2" steaks, do y'all routinely get 2" steaks?
    no, not often
    but, when I do, I always reverse sear
    just happened to get a tomahawk steak last weekend

Plasma torch. Neutron flux. Shaped charges. Air friction of hypersonic flight. ...

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Plasma torch. Neutron flux. Shaped charges. Air friction of hypersonic flight. ...
    Nuke from orbit. Or cook it a la Minneapolis, and boil away

Not to be more of a dick than usual but no, just no to top round.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Costco sometimes has prime top round roasts, 2.5” or so thick. I cut them into steaks and do a reverse sear, then slice thin against the grain, like tri-tip
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I’d love to get “The Copper Set” on that link. An even more expensive learning curve to tackle.
    i looked at different pot sets and I went wiht a set of the Zwilling with 3 layers of copper/ SS and it works fine, at least as well as cast iron

I think people should get rid of their non-stick pans as they fuck up
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Not to be more of a dick than usual but no, just no to top round.
    I've never been able to get one of those tender.