Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    simpler solution than preheating the pan?

jesus christ you really are a tool
    Really? Mikey, you seem like a good guy that is better than this^^^

yeah I wondered about that ^^ those plug-in hot plates you can just put on your countertop ?

edit: its pretty obvious they really want to fuck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Really? Mikey, you seem like a good guy that is better than this^^^

Throw the steak directly on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Throw the steak directly on the glass.
    do I preheat the glass first?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I dunno.

IME you wana be careful putting a wet skillet on a very hot glass top, the water could sputter/ steam and chip the glass top

I got a small divot about the size of a dime in my glass top, I still use that burner every night but its something to be careful of

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Definitely disable the smoke detectors.

Definitely disable the smoke detectors.
    PRO TIP
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I am laughing too hard at the thought of someone actually throwing a steak directly on a glass cooktopy. That would be a mess for the ages. And a guaranteed grease fire. Probably a fully involved structure fire.

I have my smoke detector not mounted and sitting on top of the fridge which is right next to the stove

if it goes off I can just move it away from the stove which is the #1 place to have a kitchen fire

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I have my smoke detector not mounted and sitting on top of the fridge which is right next to the stove

if it goes off I can just move it away from the stove which is the #1 place to have a kitchen fire
    Yes, but do you fry steaks directly on your cooktop?

not after spending all the money on cookwear

Jacques Pepin probably has a big ass burner that heats all the way to the edge of the pan so it heats evenly.
    One thing I learned about frying in a cold dry cast iron pan is to not touch the meat until it's time to turn it. Once the meat gets a crust it separates easily. Presalting the meat to dry out the surface helps to. (How do you know it's time to turn it without lifting it up to look at it? You have to pay me for that tip.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    (How do you know it's time to turn it without lifting it up to look at it? You have to pay me for that tip.)
    Just like at the urinal. Shake it once or twice. Not three though then you’re playing with your meat.

Jacque is just using a gasburning range at home for his recipes on youtube his cooking is very simple he doesnt have ingrediant lists he just tells you to do this and that

Hot or cold pan for that recipes it does not matter, the chicken skin provides the fat, the skin gets a brown crust, you leave it skin down for 20 with the lid on and the steam cooks the chicken

Cast Iron Skillet

I cooked that the other night in cold cast iron on old electric coil - it was good - I prefer gas but I don’t have it

he he uses non stick pans which I just can’t bring myself to do but who am I to question Jacques? he’s amazing
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Jacque is just using a gasburning range at home for his recipes on youtube his cooking is very simple he doesnt have ingrediant lists he just tells you to do this and that

Hot or cold pan for that recipes it does not matter, the chicken skin provides the fat, the skin gets a brown crust, you leave it skin down for 20 with the lid on and the steam cooks the chicken
    Speaking of which--duck breasts. ATK says score the skin and saute very slowly to render the fat and crisp the skin, then finish on the other side. When I do this the fat isn't completely rendered and the skin isn't crisp by the time the meat is up to 125F. Guy on Julia Child's show--she's the best--uses medium high heat. Guess I'll try that next. thoughts? The breasts I can get tend to be on the small side. Story of my life.

I am laughing too hard at the thought of someone actually throwing a steak directly on a glass cooktopy. That would be a mess for the ages. And a guaranteed grease fire. Probably a fully involved structure fire.
    There's youtubes of ppl burning themselves pouring molten metals on ice, brah.
    Ppl with 2-digit IQs have their own unique challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Speaking of which--duck breasts. ATK says score the skin and saute very slowly to render the fat and crisp the skin, then finish on the other side. When I do this the fat isn't completely rendered and the skin isn't crisp by the time the meat is up to 125F. Guy on Julia Child's show--she's the best--uses medium high heat. Guess I'll try that next. thoughts? The breasts I can get tend to be on the small side. Story of my life.
    Past medium rare and you just fucked sum duck up. This implies duck needs to be cooked fast. You'll be happier cooking it with medium high heat like the guy on Julia Child's show, or over a fire like a steak that will dry out instantly and turn to liver the moment it gets over 125 inside. Restaurants use MAPP gas to burnish duck breasts and baked Alaska because it cooks so fast the inside never gets a chance to warm before the outside burns.

Fun Fact: Paper heiress and Smithy Julia Child met her husband and learned to cook in the OSS, the forerunner to the CIA.
    Last edited by highangle; 10-21-2021 at 06:43 PM.

If I don't want to hear the wife bitch about the smell of what's cooking, I'll use the cast iron on the back deck with one of these. It's a pretty cheap solution if you're renting.

Last edited by Touring_Sedan; 10-21-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Jacques Pepin has a great Poulet au Vinegare recipe where he tells you to just put the chicken thighs skin side down in a cold pan, no oil , medium high for 7 minutes, lid on/simmer for 20 and it turns out prefect every time
    Start cold and let chicken heat up in the pan is a great way to render more fat

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Just like at the urinal. Shake it once or twice. Not three though then you’re playing with your meat.
    I don't fucking care. I shake it as many times as I need to. 20, 37, whatever. Of course it doesn't do any good. No matter how long the song and dance, the last drop always lands in your pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    If I don't want to hear the wife bitch about the smell of what's cooking, I'll use the cast iron on the back deck with one of these. It's a pretty cheap solution if you're renting.

If you're going to go portable with cast iron... maybe something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If you're going to go portable with cast iron... maybe something like this:

I have one. The fan sounds like a jet aircraft. Hard pass.