Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    it failed the turkey test

so how did you like cooking on the induction unit?
    If this was for me, I thought induction was ok. Bit better than regular electric. We didn't have any pans that didn't work with it, so that was a bonus. I did find that many of the pans were not completely flat, which lead to hot spots. I am looking forward to the gas unit for this main reason. The 20,000 BTU middle burner will be killer for boiling water. That took forever on the induction unit.

thats interesting cuz even my brand new pots are not completely flat so I think i will stay with what I got

The "Turkey test " was a real thing so my tech support guy told me, the biggest thing a scale/scanner would encounter is a 24 lb turkey dropped on a scale/ scanner by a checker with carpal tunnel syndrome so they would test by dropping 24 lbs to see if it would break
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Too funny. I did my first braised roasted chicken last night. On a bed of onions with stock added and I basted. Super tender and juicy, but I get better flavor and crispy skin standing it up, (like beer butt, but usually and empty can)
    That's how my mom did the brisket--with onions and also with potatoes. The potatoes would only be partly submerged so they would be soft on the bottom and crispy on top. I should try sometime but I didn't get the recipe. Brisket, potato salad, cheesecake. The only things she could cook.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    After years with an induction stove top we are finally making the move to gas. No NG here, but we have always had a propane tank that the PO installed for the grill and the fireplace. $700 for the propane guys to run a new line through the attic and down to the stove. $1500 cooktop. Seems like a good deal.
    Here is what I got. Mostly because it is what I wanted, but also because it is the only one I could find in stock anywhere.

We had been planning this, but I dropped a hot pot in just the right spot the other day, and cracked a chunk out of the front of the induction stovetop, accelerating the process. Bummer too, it is a Thermador, not a cheap unit. I researched the replacement glass and it is $840. I am thinking of maybe offering it up for free to see if someone wants to repair it. I have no idea what the used market for induction cooktops is. Worst case, I will donate it to the habitat for humanity RE Store down the road. Those guys can take anything and sell it.
    Propane. Hank Hill would be proud of you.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

OK, so after watching a couple vids about carbon steel I push the button and order one of the higher cost versions to give it a try.

So I’m ramping up on that, developing seasoning and so on, and cooking a few steaks to test things out. Seeing some heat distribution issues, but maybe that’s due to my glass top stove?

So in the process of doing multiple oven baking sessions using the seasoning wax/oil from the manufacture, I noticed my set of cast iron pans, which looked like could use some oil and baking as well, so I start working my way through those (I have about 10 or 15 of them).

So, naturally, the thought occurred to me to go ahead and just cook a steak in the cast iron pan. So I did. And damn was it good. Maybe now I’m back in the cast iron camp.

Start with a seasoned room temp steak on a rack at 200 in the oven. Buy a thermometer. Pull at 125 degrees, then throw in some grape seed oil in a blazing cast iron, rest the steak for 2 minutes, slap the steak in the pan and don't touch it for 4 minutes, then flip, add some butter, baste and flip every minute until your liking. Open windows or doors. Rest for 15 honest minutes. Season again.

Easy peazy.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    OK, so after watching a couple vids about carbon steel I push the button and order one of the higher cost versions to give it a try.

So I’m ramping up on that, developing seasoning and so on, and cooking a few steaks to test things out. Seeing some heat distribution issues, but maybe that’s due to my glass top stove?

So in the process of doing multiple oven baking sessions using the seasoning wax/oil from the manufacture, I noticed my set of cast iron pans, which looked like could use some oil and baking as well, so I start working my way through those (I have about 10 or 15 of them).

So, naturally, the thought occurred to me to go ahead and just cook a steak in the cast iron pan. So I did. And damn was it good. Maybe now I’m back in the cast iron camp.
    If you have a budget glass top, it could be part of your challenge.

The heavier weight CI is going to do better on a shittier stove.

The heavier weight CI is going to do better with a thick steak on it.

I like a small carbon steel pan for the small/quick pan fry, sauté, stir fry jobs…. It’s lighter weight than the cast iron, but holds and disperses heat well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Start with a seasoned room temp steak on a rack at 200 in the oven. Buy a thermometer. Pull at 125 degrees, then throw in some grape seed oil in a blazing cast iron, rest the steak for 2 minutes, slap the steak in the pan and don't touch it for 4 minutes, then flip, add some butter, baste and flip every minute until your liking. Open windows or doors. Rest for 15 honest minutes. Season again.

Easy peazy.
    One twenty five?!?!?!??!? It don’t need to be killed twice. I skip the resting part at the end too; Bubbe-meise!

Srsly tho reverse sear is pretty legit for thick cuts or if someone wants medium or (dear dog no) medium well. I didn’t have great luck with grape seed but I maybe had the crappy stuff, the taste after searing became strong and burnt. Couldn’t get it to work I guess just went back to cheap evo and good amounts of butter.

Cast iron skillet or Dutch oven for me every time but I’ve had OK luck with some stainless steel stuff.

My carbon steel pan was the hardest to get the seasoning right. Not sure I ever really did.

I also think you gotta be willing to stain the enamel if you use (even a fancy) Dutchie.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

125 and then 4 minutes per side? Holy shit. Unless that's a four inch thick steak, four minutes per side in a blazing pan is going to be pretty near just right for a two inch steak. Without the oven. And I do a dry pan.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post

Your CS pan probably isn’t dead flat or becomes distorted when heated. My CS pan works wayyy better on a gas stove.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    125 and then 4 minutes per side? Holy shit. Unless that's a four inch thick steak, four minutes per side in a blazing pan is going to be pretty near just right for a two inch steak. Without the oven. And I do a dry pan.
    I thought the same thing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Easy peazy.
    Would monsieur like some ketchup for that steak?

I did a reverse sear elk backstrap last night. I smoked it on the grill at 225 until it hit 110 and then seared in a blazing hot cast iron skillet for about a minute each side. After the flip I spooned butter and garlic over it till it came off. Rested for ten minutes under tented foil. I’d say it was a perfect, warmish pink center medium rare.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I did a reverse sear elk backstrap last night. I smoked it on the grill at 225 until it hit 110 and then seared in a blazing hot cast iron skillet for about a minute each side. After the flip I spooned butter and garlic over it till it came off. Rested for ten minutes under tented foil. I’d say it was a perfect, warmish pink center medium rare.

Pics or gtfo

---

No but seriously that sounds absolutely amazing, well done

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I bought my carbon pan at the resto supply. Cheap. Then cooked in it (always with fat, preferably bacon fat) until it was seasoned. Clean it by heating it up after cooking, under cold water and a scotchbrite scrub. Clean as a whistle and seasons quickly. That other shit is too fussy and isn't that much faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

We recently got some stainless skillets and after using them for a few weeks went back to our CI for most things. Possible I'm doing it wrong, but the stainless is stickier even with some EVO on it, and much harder to clean. It does seem to sear a little better than CI though.

Also, re: swapping out induction for gas, that's a hard no from me. We just went from induction to natural gas, and we liked induction better on all fronts, particularly how it heats the pan faster. Boiling water on induction was amazingly fast.

Easy peazy.
    Hmmm…I’d pull it 105-110, and sear for less time, aiming for 125-130, then pull and rest
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Easy peazy.
    Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    We recently got some stainless skillets and after using them for a few weeks went back to our CI for most things. Possible I'm doing it wrong, but the stainless is stickier even with some EVO on it, and much harder to clean. It does seem to sear a little better than CI though.

Also, re: swapping out induction for gas, that's a hard no from me. We just went from induction to natural gas, and we liked induction better on all fronts, particularly how it heats the pan faster. Boiling water on induction was amazingly fast.
    For the home cook the benefit of stainless is for the stick. So you can make a pan sauce.

A 12”-14” stainless sauté pan with a lid is should be in the quiver for most home cooks.

Brown SOBI chick thighs in a stainless sauté. Pull them. Add onions, dijon, white wine… scrape up all the brown bits. Add chicken back, cover until done.
    A million variations of that in every French cookbook.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

We have a small and large carbon steel pan. Took a bit to get them seasoned but they are rolling now. Try cooking eggs in em with a bit of oil. Seasons them pretty well if you do that for many days.

Eggs in them now with just a bit of oil is slipperier than nonstick. Easiest way to describe to folks how they should use and season their carbon steel pans is showing them the griddle station in a diner or a cheesesteak place.

Oh, that makes sense. We used to do a recipe along those lines in our cast iron - I'll try it in stainless sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    For the home cook the benefit of stainless is for the stick. So you can make a pan sauce.

A 12”-14” stainless sauté pan with a lid is should be in the quiver for most home cooks.

Brown SOBI chick thighs in a stainless sauté. Pull them. Add onions, dijon, white wine… scrape up all the brown bits. Add chicken back, cover until done.
    A million variations of that in every French cookbook.

I admit I'm bad at guessing time. I just use my finger.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I admit I'm bad at guessing time. I just use my finger.
    That's what she said.

These guys make really nice stuff.
    https://madeincookware.com/collections/shop-all

This one is on the wish list:

Cast Iron Skillet

MTM has the basic idea; dude don’t listen to them
    Those of you poseurs pretending butter isn’t fucking amazing in the reverse sear esp with a couple herbs are seriously missing out
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6297.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	418343