Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    I have both. Use em at the cabin on the porch when I don't want the entire place to smell like searing meat. I prefer the isobutane for outdoor cast iron cooking but the instant adjustability of the induction is mighty nice.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    If I don't want to hear the wife bitch about the smell of what's cooking, I'll use the cast iron on the back deck with one of these. It's a pretty cheap solution if you're renting.

I’ve a butane only version and it just doesn’t put out the btus to be worth it.

A turkey fryer on the deck is a good solution. Enough BTUs to stir fry too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    If you're going to go portable with cast iron... maybe something like this:

This is my go to for steaks in a cast iron pan, outside. Haven't grilled one in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I cooked that the other night in cold cast iron on old electric coil - it was good - I prefer gas but I don’t have it

he he uses non stick pans which I just can’t bring myself to do but who am I to question Jacques? he’s amazing
    he uses ketchup in french recipes and it turns out good
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post

Fun Fact: Paper heiress and Smithy Julia Child met her husband and learned to cook in the OSS, the forerunner to the CIA.
    Fun fact Julia Child learned to cook at the Cordon Bleu not in the OSS. I thought most people knew this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If you're going to go portable with cast iron... maybe something like this:

got a link for that?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    got a link for that?
    https://www.amazon.com/Eurodib-C1823.../dp/B07DP7XLQX

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Speaking of which--duck breasts. ATK says score the skin and saute very slowly to render the fat and crisp the skin, then finish on the other side. When I do this the fat isn't completely rendered and the skin isn't crisp by the time the meat is up to 125F. Guy on Julia Child's show--she's the best--uses medium high heat. Guess I'll try that next. thoughts? The breasts I can get tend to be on the small side. Story of my life.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=767786963763917

I havent tried cooking duck or duck breasts but this is how he does the chicken thighs,

breast wouldn't sit flat on the pan so not sure how that would work ?

I like the thighs which are usually cheaper & don't dry out like white breast meat, I make this ^^ at least once a week cuz its just so easy
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-22-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Goddammit... now I'm hungry for a medium-rare duck breats. Preferably in a strawberry pan-sauce.

thanks!

a little out of my price range, but it led me to something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-..._t1_B07DP7XLQX

Though I am not sure how excited I am to be pan frying outside when I have a stove inside.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

thanks!

a little out of my price range, but it led me to something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-..._t1_B07DP7XLQX

Though I am not sure how excited I am to be pan frying outside when I have a stove inside.
    TBH it'll work just as well on the counter. Bit messier, but I don't mind the smell of pan-fried meatses permeating my house.

thanks!

This is decent too:

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/tillred...xoCU3wQAvD_BwE

EDIT Canadian link so your price might be different.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Hmmm... somehow I missed this thread.....

I bought my 10" skillet from a blue haired old lady at a yard sale 18 years ago or so, I use it every day for my standard breakfast of potato egg with cheese (during ski season I wrap it up in a tortilla for the drive to the mountain). After swishing out the oil and salt from the previous day, I let it heat for 15-20 minutes while the potatoes steam soft, this works to re-season it daily.

Back in my hippie vagabond days, I lived for a while in the high desert in Arizona, without electricity or running water. Every morning we'd take a handful of green roasted coffee beans from Dunkin' Donuts, and roast them in a cast iron skillet. When they were good and black, we'd grind them in the skillet with the head of a splitting maul, and then make coffee. Damn that was good coffee!
    Last edited by Rasputin; 10-23-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I am laughing too hard at the thought of someone actually throwing a steak directly on a glass cooktopy. That would be a mess for the ages. And a guaranteed grease fire. Probably a fully involved structure fire.
    Digital death would do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Digital death would do it.
    Before or after boiling the steak?

Before or after boiling the steak?
    Both. For proper application of steak to glass, you want to sear, then boil, then sear again.

And then move it quickly from glass cooktop to glass plate for the finest dining experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Boil is poor man sous vide.

Braised. We call it braised, not boiled. (My mother made a very tasty braised brisket although these days I prefer it smoked.)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Both. For proper application of steak to glass, you want to sear, then boil, then sear again.

And then move it quickly from glass cooktop to glass plate for the finest dining experience.
    Glass plate reference for the win !

After years with an induction stove top we are finally making the move to gas. No NG here, but we have always had a propane tank that the PO installed for the grill and the fireplace. $700 for the propane guys to run a new line through the attic and down to the stove. $1500 cooktop. Seems like a good deal.
    Here is what I got. Mostly because it is what I wanted, but also because it is the only one I could find in stock anywhere.

We had been planning this, but I dropped a hot pot in just the right spot the other day, and cracked a chunk out of the front of the induction stovetop, accelerating the process. Bummer too, it is a Thermador, not a cheap unit. I researched the replacement glass and it is $840. I am thinking of maybe offering it up for free to see if someone wants to repair it. I have no idea what the used market for induction cooktops is. Worst case, I will donate it to the habitat for humanity RE Store down the road. Those guys can take anything and sell it.

it failed the turkey test

so how did you like cooking on the induction unit?

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    he he uses non stick pans which I just can’t bring myself to do but who am I to question Jacques? he’s amazing
    I haven't watched his videos for a while but in older ones he would use hard anodized aluminum, not teflon coated.
    Last edited by ghosthop; 10-23-2021 at 01:07 PM.

I think he could cook anything on anything but at Jacque's pay grade he probably doenst pay for cook ware

non-stick always scratches no matter how careful I am SO I give up

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Braised. We call it braised, not boiled. (My mother made a very tasty braised brisket although these days I prefer it smoked.)
    Too funny. I did my first braised roasted chicken last night. On a bed of onions with stock added and I basted. Super tender and juicy, but I get better flavor and crispy skin standing it up, (like beer butt, but usually and empty can)