Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I see paper towels being used to season CI. Dumb video I watched said to use a cloth that won't leave lint, I still often paper towels on my black carbon steel skillet since it's smooth as a babies keester, but the rough CI seasoning tears up paper towels

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Old school Griswold and the like CI is not rough at all. The newer Lodge stuff does have pits and rough surface. So you can also smooth them out- plenty of discussion on how to get the newer stuff smooth.

Paper towel is just fine to wipe out a rather smooth surface. Especially if you are just soaking up a bit of excess oil or taking a few bits of food crumbs out after using it to cook....

Eh, I don't mind if I eat a little carbonized paper towel lint
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I received 2 different sized carbon pans like KQ's a few years ago from the ex. She took one of them when she left. The other one I use all the time. Might be my favorite pan, but small.

For both carbon and cast iron my cleaning method is reheat the pan on the stove to very hot, throw it under cool water and scrub with no soap, then back on the stove for a full dry. Super easy and the seasoning stays very intact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

MTM posted the Field Company guys in another thread, and I was inspired to order one for my old man for Xmas. Got to play with it last night and it’s really nice. It’s got a very smooth finish on the cooking surfaces, which as discussed, can be accomplished on a cheaper pan with some elbow grease. But it’s also got thinner sides, making it noticeably lighter than a comparable Lodge.

I’ve never once regretted sporting for higher quality, more expensive carbon steel pans, so I’m on my way to justifying a nice cast iron skillet.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

OK, I know this is the CI thread, but there has been some drift, so I just feel the need to give a shout-out for All-Clad HA1 hard anodized non-stick pans. The pair of 8” plus 10” frying pans are currently about $60 on Amazon. Picked up a set of these last Christmas, and have to say they have been a joy to use. The non-stick is still going strong after a year of heavy use, and seems just as good as the first day we got them. The pans are heavy, and hold and distribute heat well, and actually do a decent job browning meat, I’ve ended up hating and trashing every other non-stick pan I’ve owned, but I have to say these have held up well, so far.

I have several cast iron and stainless pans and they can give good results if you baby them and jump through hoops, but when you have several people using the kitchen, it is not uncommon to come home to a dirty pan in the sink with stuck-on food that they think will magically clean themselves. Or cast iron pans that have been put through the dish washer. Ah, the joys of having grown kids visit and act like they are still teenagers.

I'ma have to re-read this thread.

Since they're indestructible, I got my cast iron skillet at Goodwill for $4. I'm pretty sure every Goodwill everywhere has many to choose from.

hmm, https://lancastercastiron.com/produc...t-iron-skillet something lightweight wouldn't suck. I like to take mine on float trips via kayak or canoe.

While I have three cast iron pans (different sizes), this is by far my favorite. It has been in my family for over 65 years, and has never been used for anything, other than frying meatballs for Italian macaroni gravy (tomato sauce to some)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5385.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	296182

Name:	IMG_5386.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	872.0 KB 
ID:	296183.
    Just look at the crust on the outside of that fucker.

In many Italian families, cast iron pans have two, and only two uses: 1) frying meatballs; and 2) putting down your pants, so it blocks the pain of being hit in the ass with a wooden spoon.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Awesome, mine from Goodwill looks just like the second photo. Since mine was possibly previously used by Dahmer, what can I do to facilitate a trade...

what is the point of letting the crust build up on the outside, all its gona do is block heat ?

my GF got me a nice big sized pan at a garage sale and i won the medium sized in a comp at the ski hill bar
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't know enough about it, but I do know that the pan has never been near a chemical, and it works too well to sandblast. But thanks. I just scraped the bottom of the pan with a dull cheese knifeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	3AEC43C1-0C21-49B8-B71F-E5DE15DEE332.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	417.9 KB 
ID:	296190
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The ^^ logo on the bottom looks way cooler than all that crust

I get that build up on SS camp cookpots so i just rubbed the bottom on the beach and it all comes off in about 15seconds
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I don't know enough about it, but I do know that the pan has never been near a chemical, and it works too well to sandblast. But thanks. I just scraped the bottom of the pan with a dull cheese knifeClick image for larger version. 

All you ever wanted to know about the Wanger logo.
    https://www.castironcollector.com/wagnertm.php

Chain mail and hot water works great for cleaning that kind of buildup. They sell a little 8x8ish square on Amazon for small $$.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I used my narrow metal spackle knife to clean that sorta crust off one of mine last week.

Lowest effort method is to get some charcoals going and put the pan on them. You can help things along if you're feeling antsy, but with enough time, that shit will turn to ash and fall off. It'll kill the seasoning, but that's an easy fix.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Name:	F74488C4-5708-49CD-8F5B-FEF487AD41E7.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	798.8 KB 
ID:	299429

Picked up a variety of no. 3 pans and a no. 5 Griswold but after cleaning the crud off the no. 5 I found a hairline crack where it had been dropped. They all will be working pans.

I used some lye based oven cleaner I had on hand. It usually takes a few coats but it will dissolve that crust down to bare metal. Any rust can be dealt with by a 50/50 vinegar/water soak for 10-20 minutes.
    watch out for snakes

Visited my folks the other day and got a CI Calphlon broiler pan with the corresponding top. Unfortunately it has their unique coating on the cooking surface but I want to use it for steaks and such on the stove top when its too gnarly outside to use the grill.

I also got a large 14" double ring Revere ware skillet that had belonged to my grandma, dads mom. It cleaned up nice and I have it hanging on the wall in the kitchen cuz I luv me some copper cladding.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post

That is a thing of beauty.

But the chemical comment irks the nerd in me. Water is a chemical!

Actually water is more of a solvent.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Actually water is more of a solvent.
    Uhh. Yes water is a solvent.

Water is also a inorganic compound.

And H2O is its chemical formula.

For years my parents used and collected a shit load of Le Creuset. But it’s been collecting dust for the past few years so they gave most of it away today. This is what they gave me and it was about a quarter of what they had. No clue what I will possibly do with it all. There’s a few pieces I’ll probably use a lot, but I have a feeling most of the little decorative pieces will just gather dust in my cupboard now. I tried to limit what we took, but my wife vetoed me.

Name:	IMG_8694.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	300368

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    For years my parents used and collected a shit load of Le Creuset. But it’s been collecting dust for the past few years so they gave most of it away today. This is what they gave me and it was about a quarter of what they had. No clue what I will possibly do with it all. There’s a few pieces I’ll probably use a lot, but I have a feeling most of the little decorative pieces will just gather dust in my cupboard now. I tried to limit what we took, but my wife vetoed me.
    Keep the few pieces you want, sell the rest. Buy ski shit. Probably don't want to tell the wife...