Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Searching for a good; check that. great quality stainless cookware set today, and based on my research, found the Cuisinart multi-clad pro to be the best-4-buck set out there for around $300. Looks like it can be had for as cheap as $230 on amazon and through some other close-outs. It's not All-Clad, but if you don't have 2k lying around to throw at pots, these will get the job done and should still last a lifetime.

Just went out and got this for 16 bucks at Target:

You all forced me! Just got done seasoning it with oil for an hour. Once it cools, bacon and eggs. Tomorrow, steak!
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

HELP!

I was heating up my skillet with a little oil in it, and kind of forgot.... and all the oil that was in the pan burned into a thick, tar-like substance. Is it safe to scrub it down with a brillo pad and soap if I re-season it?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    HELP!

I was heating up my skillet with a little oil in it, and kind of forgot.... and all the oil that was in the pan burned into a thick, tar-like substance. Is it safe to scrub it down with a brillo pad and soap if I re-season it?
    I still wouldn't use soap. Heat it up again, and take a metal spatula and scrape it down. Then pour some olive oil in it and take a brillow pad w/ salt to it. I have a dedicated abrasive pad on a handle (one of those that has a hollow handle for dispensing soap, only with no soap) for cleaning my cast. Once the stuff gets hot again, it should remove itself fairly easily. Of course going the soap route will never kill your cast iron, it will only kill whatever seasoning you've built up. If you choose that route.. it's bacon time!

just cook it in, i never even clean mine out sometimes, just a quick scrub and rinse from when i used it before. I feel that the heat kills off anything that might have a chance to grow in there and the flavors are amazing by now.

Todays menu:
    Breakfast: Pancakes
    Lunch: Pasta primavera
    Dinner: steelhead, onions, asparagus, mashed potatoes
    Heres to no dishes ever and fucking great tasting food

Quote Originally Posted by lookinback View Post
    just cook it in, i never even clean mine out sometimes, just a quick scrub and rinse from when i used it before. I feel that the heat kills off anything that might have a chance to grow in there and the flavors are amazing by now.
    be careful using water. Water is a solvent and can break down your season. I stick w/ oil, heat, and light scrub.

Quote Originally Posted by lookinback View Post
    Heres to no dishes ever and fucking great tasting food
    True dat!

I boiled some water in it, and just went to town scrubbing. There's still an ugly spot on it, but I don't think it affects anything. Definitely bacon time though
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

doughboyshredder Guest
    boiling salt water works so good, that there is no need to scrub anything.

I have a couple grill pans and always had a hard time cleaning them, but since I read earlier in this thread about the boiling salt water I have had no issues.

^^^ The boiling salt water approach works. Have used it to get rid of some seriously stuck on stuff. It worked and didn't seem to mess with the seasoning. If it did, bacon would fix it.

crappy picture, but high quality pineapple upside down cake for my youngest brother's birthday. Not a bad end to a Silver Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post

crappy picture, but high quality pineapple upside down cake for my youngest brother's birthday. Not a bad end to a Silver Saturday
    Looks good, i'd certainly eat it

Kids, today's word is: Hemachromatosis.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Doesn't hemachromatosis have a genetic basis?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

So you're suggesting that iron readily migrates from pan to food, and is absorbed into the bloodstream?

Any evidence to support this, or are you just playing Glenn Beck of food?

Finally, what is the acute toxicity level for the average person not carrying the genetic pre-disposition to Hemachromatosis, and how does that relate to the levels of iron potentially migrating into food from a cast iron skillet?

edit to add: Yes, the iron can migrate to food, however migration levels are pretty much entirely dependant on the seasoning of the skillet. Hemachromatosis is also most commonly a genetic disorder, rather than environmental.
    Last edited by QuikR12; 04-18-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Looks good, i'd certainly eat it
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Doesn't hemachromatosis have a genetic basis?
    Yes it does, entirely. And I gots it bad.

Hey Dumbass. Did I say one fucking word of that?

So you're suggesting that iron readily migrates from pan to food, and is absorbed into the bloodstream?

Any evidence to support this, or are you just playing Glenn Beck of food?

Finally, what is the acute toxicity level for the average person not carrying the genetic pre-disposition to Hemachromatosis, and how does that relate to the levels of iron potentially migrating into food from a cast iron skillet?

edit to add: Yes, the iron can migrate to food, however migration levels are pretty much entirely dependant on the seasoning of the skillet. Hemachromatosis is also most commonly a genetic disorder, rather than environmental.

Hey Dumbass. Did I say one fucking word of that?
    excuse me, I'm a dumbass? For asking if your single statement of "hemachromatosis" was suggestive of causes linked to use of cast iron? It IS pretty fucking suggestive to post such in a "cast iron" thread, dont ya think?

Then I continue to research it myself and post some info found, confirming that yes, iron can and does migrate from pan to food.
    Still a dumbass, or did I just offend you're insensible pretentious ass with a reaction, and natural curiousity to your thin witted comment of "hemachromatosis?"

excuse me, I'm a dumbass
    Now you're getting it.

Signed,

the Glen Beck of hereditary diseases.

Now you're getting it.

Signed,

the Glen Beck of hereditary diseases.
    nice, the most ostentatious of PR regulars insults my intellect.

The same man clings to the generic call-sign of an iconic late-80's douche.

I'm almost flattered.

nice, the most ostentatious of PR regulars insults my intellect.

The same man clings to the generic call-sign of an iconic late-80's douche.

I'm almost flattered.
    Oh just stop.

I'm so fucking glad this thread turned into this.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Sorry for not staying on topic, I know it's a problem here at Alpine Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

FUCK. A leave you guys alone, come back to brag that I finally got me a cast iron frying pan, and this is what I come back to. WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    FUCK. A leave you guys alone, come back to brag that I finally got me a cast iron frying pan, and this is what I come back to. WTF.
    Nice, season that bitch up and post a pic of something tasty.

edit: This thread is old news. Carbon steel is all the rave now, since these hemachromatosis outbreaks started taking strong men down like flies.