Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    how does one refurbish on old cast iron pan with some surface rust?

I would guess go at it with some steel wool, give it a rinse and then heat oil in it for a couple of hours just below the smoke point. The oven would probably give better temperature control than the stove top.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    who's the dude?

Got a new lodge cast iron griddle for xmas. Best thing ever. We recently inherited a cast iron pan too but it's the size of a f150 hubcap. Kinda excessive for daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    how does one refurbish on old cast iron pan with some surface rust?
    scour with steel wool, then do something along these lines:
    http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html
    http://housewares.about.com/od/cookw...ngcastiron.htm
    http://www.southernplate.com/2009/02...n-skillet.html

I used to use vegetable oil, but found that it makes things sticky. Recently bought some lard for this purpose, and have been very happy with the results.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hevos Rancheros this AM in mine
    damn fine
    Love finishing things in the oven

I'm all for the skillet, its the shizzle !!!
    and you can play softball with it.
    just hang on to the handle really tight or your buddy is in for a brainer !!!
    it must be the oldest still existing cooking dish ... maybe!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

I went double cast iron last night. Had a few friends over and got the stove top cast iron griddle going with potato pancakes on one side and the cast iron skillet with steaks on the other end, finishing steaks in the oven.

GF, I make a variation of this in my skillet that is pretty healthy and certainly yummy. Yeah, I said yummy. Try it out.

No matter how good a cast iron seared steak may taste it's a far cry from a well grilled one.

Searing tuna, however....

I'm another one with cast iron on it's third generation, it even survived my years of not knowing how to take care of it. For seasoning I smear it with lard and bake at 400 - 450 for an hour or so, but if you cook enough bacon you won't need to do much else.

I've also got a cast iron grill pan which I hate. Doesn't seem to cook very well and is a pain to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Got a new lodge cast iron griddle for xmas. Best thing ever. We recently inherited a cast iron pan too but it's the size of a f150 hubcap. Kinda excessive for daily use.
    not true

a hudge cast iron skillet is useful for everything -it's got a lid, right?

they are also very good in the oven as a baking vessel

I use mine on the grill a lot
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    No matter how good a cast iron seared steak may taste it's a far cry from a well grilled one.
    For a dude that obviously knows his way around a piece of meat you are talking out your ass.

Nope - it's all about the smokey flavor for me. Guess I'm more of a churrasco guy than you.

Lamb also likes a dry pan

It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

This thread needs some quiver pics!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

ok - coming your way soon
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I love it so much, I had my skillet personalized:

Tip and Root... you can have it both ways:

Last edited by BigDaddy; 02-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Anybody have any cool handle cozies? I've just got a boring cheap one.

I only use cast iron pans. One thing I do that seems to work pretty well when cleaning is to use Kosher salt as an abrasive to scrub the pan. It gets all the shit off and leaves the seasoning.

For cooking hot shit try grapeseed oil, it has a very high burn level and wont smoke like veg or olive oil.

Okay, I've read so much about this I gotta try it tonight. Believe it or not, I've never cooked a steak in a skillet... Got a couple questions - hope I can get quick answers here as I'm hungry.

Sear the steak a couple minutes on each side. Got it.

Put it in the oven, still in the pan for ??5?? minutes? Is that right? How hot of an oven?

Let rest for ??? minutes? Does that mean take it out of the pan while it's resting?

To summarize questions:

1) How hot of an oven to finish steak in pan?
    2) How long to leave in oven?
    3) Rest in skillet or remove from skillet?

This is how I usually grill steaks that are about an inch thick and they come out great:

Sear each side for 2-3 minutes over high flame (yeah, I have a propane grill, so sue me). Turn flame down to minimum and move steaks to warming rack and leave for about 8 minutes. Let rest on a plate (tented) for 10 more minutes. Come out great every time this way if the steak is 1-1.5" thick.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

What I did tonight Wille. Oven to 450. Let pan pretheat with the over. Pulled it out put it on high gas burner for about 5 more minutes. Steaks brished with EVOO, salt and pepper. Seared each side for 2 minutes each. Put a pat of butter on the center of the steak, took the whole pan and stuck it in the oven for 5. Took out, put the steak on a plate and let rest with foil over it for 5 minutes. Very uneven cut. Thick end was med-rare, thin end was a bit too medium for my liking. Anyway, still learning.

And don't knock the pat of butter until you try it. For serious!

Still learning myself- Wondering why you would put the pan in the oven while it preheats? I would think after 5 minutes on the burner it's as hot as it's going to get, regardless of how hot it was to begin with.

Will definitely try the butter next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

I dunno, I just read to do that somewhere and I do what I'm told. I think it has something to do with making sure the whole thing is heated evenly?

Cast Iron Confession:

A really good friend of mine, and I don't have that many (go figure), got married late in life last year to a wonderful woman.

He invited me down for the wedding. I camped out in my truck outside of his earthdome after a huge throw-down. Even woke him and his newlywed in the wee mornings after the jam session died down with a good box of shells through the 12g

So, I leave the next afternoon and get a call on the drive back that my drunken ass had left my prize possession - a big old multi-yeared cast iron skillet that he always makes me bring down for group breakfasts of blue corn pancakes.

I confessed that, no, I didn't forget it, but that the best thing I could actually muster out of my meager possessions was that skillet.

He was floored. And I know he cherishes it to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    What I did tonight Wille. Oven to 450. Let pan pretheat with the over. Pulled it out put it on high gas burner for about 5 more minutes. Steaks brished with EVOO, salt and pepper. Seared each side for 2 minutes each. Put a pat of butter on the center of the steak, took the whole pan and stuck it in the oven for 5. Took out, put the steak on a plate and let rest with foil over it for 5 minutes. Very uneven cut. Thick end was med-rare, thin end was a bit too medium for my liking. Anyway, still learning.

And don't knock the pat of butter until you try it. For serious!
    That's pretty much it. I generally don't use EVOO since without the oil the steak seems to get a better crust, but it depends on what you like. Also, I set the oven at 425 since that's what I use to bake the potatoes that are in the oven. How long in the oven and rest depends on how thick the steak, how you like it cooked and the starting temp of the steak. Tonight with a 2/3 lb ny strip: kosher salt, pepper. sear each side 2-3 minutes, into the oven for about 5 (when the potato was done) and rest for about 5 for a nice medium rare.