Plum Guides: fully compatible with DynaDuke and SollyFit plates

I got my new Plum guides yesterday, and I am happy to report that they work great with both DynaDuke and SollyFit plate kits. I also created a Plum Guide screw kit for inserts (qty 16 M5x10 flatheads). I can't wait to get out on them as soon as we get some snow

Attachment 89998
    Attachment 89999
    Attachment 90000
    Attachment 90001
    Attachment 90002
    Attachment 90003

Dayum those things are sexy like Mancuso.

CNC-perfection!
    I don't even care if they are as good/better or weigh less than my FT12, just so good looking I gonna change either way ;-)

Maybe for the next production batch, widen the plate a bit at the toe so that the base is fully supported?
    More details on the bindings here for anyone who's interested:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/3987/plum-guide-review-binding/

I should also mention, that they seem to swap a bit easier than the dynafits. Its a minor difference, but because the holes are super clean, the screws go through much easier, and access to the screw heads is a bit better for the Plums. I still don't get why Dynafit uses undersized plastic holes in the baseplates.

I swapped out the heel adjuster screws for M5x8 Flatheads, so they adjust using the same 3mm allen wrench instead of the torx bit. A simple but meaningful mod IMO.

Yeah, those look nice.
    yet another sucking sound coming from the direction of my wallet.

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. A while back there were some comments that the rear portion of the sollyfit plates could possibly dent during touring because of a lack of support directly under the heal piece. Anyone have an update on this? Jondrums?

Also I am just about to receive some PLUMs. I would like to be able to swap between my 916s and my PLUMs on one, maybe 2 setups.

Can you think of any reason why I should go plates instead of inserts Jongdrums ? Thanks

Good to hear. I'm still waiting for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by shasti View Post
    Also I am just about to receive some PLUMs. I would like to be able to swap between my 916s and my PLUMs on one, maybe 2 setups.

Can you think of any reason why I should go plates instead of inserts Jongdrums ? Thanks
    Ski resale is the easiest answer. How many inserts are you going to have if you install inserts for two sets of bindings? A shitload.

Jon told me that depending on where it is in its fore/aft adjustement, dynafit heels can damage sollyfit plates if used without brakes. He says that there is no problem if you are using them with brakes. Plums don't have this problem because they are designed to used the top sheet of the ski to support the heel post of the binding.

Ease of initial mount. Ease of swaps if you aren't perfect with installing inserts. Cost is an extra $70 for plates but probably takes 2-3 hours less to install if you do it right (install bindings with stock screws - ski - demount, widen holes, tap holes, epoxy and mount inserts). If you mess up the initial mount with inserts, things can be "stretched" to make them fit. But you will have problems almost every swap - that pain in the ass last hole, where you have to leave all the screws a couple turns loose so you can get it in the last one. Not too big of a deal until you just drove 3 hrs and are swapping at 1am or are trying to do it in the parking lot when its 10 degrees.

Jondrum, I know it's hard to know with certainty until you see the new Plum brakes, but do you anticipate any compatibility issues associated with Plum bindings with brakes when mounted on Sollyfit plates?

Jondrums, can you comment on Dynafits w/out brakes damaging the plates?

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Jon told me that depending on where it is in its fore/aft adjustement, dynafit heels can damage sollyfit plates if used without brakes. He says that there is no problem if you are using them with brakes. Plums don't have this problem because they are designed to used the top sheet of the ski to support the heel post of the binding.
    So no worries with the Plums?

Plums don't use the ski top sheet to support the heel post so apparently it isn't a problem.

Here's the lowdown dynafit brakes and sollyfit plates:
    * Using sollyfit plates with brakeless dynafits is not recommended. The dynafit heel post is designed to be supported by the ski topsheet when used without brakes. I had not anticipated this when I originally designed the Sollyfits. I stopped production and made the required updates to the design, so any SollyFits purchased from this date forward have adequate support. Dynadukes already have adequate support.
    *Plums don't have any such problems. Although I haven't seen the brakes yet, I don't anticipate any problems using them with the plates.

I'm personally a fan of inserts, but people still prefer plates just because they are quite a bit easier and more forgiving to install.