CO backcountry skiers

Please be extra careful for a while! Whumping all over the place in the N facing trees inbounds at Vail (Blue Sky Basin). Enough that Freshie and I actually avoided a puny - and i do mean puny - little open rollover in the middle of fairly dense woods yesterday.
    Last edited by Yossarian; 12-12-2004 at 06:15 PM.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Yeah, same thing happening in some north facing trees at Loveland ski area yesterday. Had a small area fracture down to the ground in some dense trees on a fairly mellow slope at the ski area as well. Everything out there is real tender right now. Hopefully things will settle and stabilize within the next few days of warm weather.

Word... Shooting cracks... whoomphing... and some nasty layers just above and below tree line on north facing and west facing aspects in the vicinity of the Beavers. You really have to keep it mellow out there right now or you will get swatted.

wow. I avoided the bc this weekend for obvious reasons. skied a basin and saw people skiing the Professor all day Saturday! even with visible naturals on the same aspect very nearby. I wouldnt have touched it...sure looked good, though. interesting how funny the bc can be. maybe the fact that it had previous compaction before the storm to "break up" the weak layer?

I went out on hoosier pass sunday morning.

First off, even without the avy danger, stay the hell away from that general area. There is a serious lack of snow going on.

I saw debris where there should never be debris. Immediatlly after the storm stuff released on some slopes that were barely approaching 30 degrees. Most of these were thin areas that released to the ground. All aspects had activity, most of it a day or two old. Where I was most of the slabs were small, but I saw almost 50 of them. All aspects, above treeline, below treeline.

The snow should have settled out a bit into something a bit more predictable by now, but I still could get slopes to whoomph by jumping on them.

The slabs themselves were very strong, real thick in a few places, but I believe that most of the bigger avie prone ones have already ripped. If we get some more snow there may be some decent lines to ski in the old slide paths.

Everything is HIGH right now. If you ski anything OB right now, EXPECT it to slide. Hit Vail yesterday, ducked some ropes, and treated everything as such. Hopefully this warm weather will consolidate the layers to something a little more stable. Be careful kids.

I drove over Da Pass on the way to Wanker Pancake yesterday. Plenty of slides were visable -- South Stanley full track (prolly heli bombed), E Stanley, Oatmeal, Hidden Knoll, Mines I, Current Creek Headwall, Rush and Hollywood WTF!!! Keep in on the down low.