Another Bro Story

This is obviously my first post but I have read the forum for a while and am a new owner of some soft bro models. I hopefully can add to the knowledge base for those looking at them. My perspective is probably a little different from others. For one thing, I have kids as old as some of the posters here. I am just your average resort skier and wanted a wider ski for deep days and hike-to resort stuff. I am 6' 185 lbs and current other skis are some 188 Chubbs and 184 Bandit XX. Pretty standard resort set-up, hard snow/bump ski and powder day ski.

As has been discussed on the board, we just had a good storm here in Summit County. My first Bro powder run turned out to be pretty epic. I had just had the skis mounted and on Saturday morning I was lucky enough to be the only one at the gate of Far East at Copper when they opened it for the season. Two feet of day-old new on an unskied base, totally untracked. It didn't take much thought to have a great run. The skis felt effortless, had great float and handled everthing that came up.

I like to ski fast but also have a bit of a lazy style. The soft Bros seem to fit me well. They are easy to ski but they also have an increasingly better response to more effort. With a hard effort in turns the response is both subdued and effective at the same time. I really like this feel.

I also skied some bump runs on Saturday. It took a couple of runs to get used to the width, but once I got used to it, they were very skiable. Things got a little baked in the afternoon and today (Sunday) everything was more firm. I spent a lot more time skiing bumps and groomers and became increasingly amazed at how well the skis did. For me, they felt quick and responive when necessary but always with an underlying stability. At high speeds, there is some tip flutter, but the ski remains very stable with good edge grip.

I am sure that the stiffs are more responsive, but for me the softs are a great ski. I think I will be using them a lot more than I expected. Thanks to all for the effort in getting these made. I thinks its an amazing accomplishment

That's awesome.

Tech talk. JONG!

That was too easy.

Nice writeup, though. I hope I gets to try some one of these days.

So cool to hear!!!

thanks JW.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by JW
    I like to ski fast but also have a bit of a lazy style. The soft Bros seem to fit me well.
    We need more of your type around here...old, lazy, fast. Welcome!
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

sweet to hear. Now how many times were you asked about your skis?
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Thanks Lumpy - that's funny

Crinkle - everyone has a comment, some are pretty interesting

On a similar note, are there any plans in the works for a demo day in summit county? Needless to say I'm interested to see these things for myself. (disclaimer: by "to see" I actually mean "to ski the piss out of" )
    Last edited by PrankMonkey; 12-12-2004 at 08:53 PM. Reason: I can't spel

Prank Monkey,

I'll have mine mounted with Naxos and will be out between xmas and new years, I believe I can shift the bindings around if you want to take a few runs on them the offer is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy
    We need more of your type around here...old, lazy, fast. Welcome!
    heh, where do I find an application to that club?

Nice work, JW.

Quote Originally Posted by JW
    This is obviously my first post but I have read the forum for a while and am a new owner of some soft bro models. I hopefully can add to the knowledge base for those looking at them. My perspective is probably a little different from others. For one thing, I have kids as old as some of the posters here. I am just your average resort skier and wanted a wider ski for deep days and hike-to resort stuff.
    hehehehe not all the bros went to brats....
    took these pics yesterday in Verb with my kids. There was NO SKIABLE SNOW (ALMOST) AT ALL so no reason to blast my brand new BROs instead of the jaks. Looks like it will take at least 10-15 more days to finally have enough snow to use the BROs

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic30773.jpg

and then of course

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic30774.jpg