BD Verdict Re-Mount Point

Just got some Dynafit FT12s. Have 180 cm BD verdicts (orange). They were center mounted with Fritschi Freeride for 325mm.

The tech at my local shop called and said I have two choices - 6mm forward of center, or 15mm backwards.

On soft snow center mounted with Fritchis, I have felt like I am tip-diving due to the skis having excessive camber (why do these skis have so much camber??). On harder snow, I feel like I am in the backseat and out of control. I ski in BD Factor boots. I am 6', 180.

Forward or back? Or sell and get a rockered ski??? What effect will the lowered (vertical) mounting have, if any?
    Last edited by Lane Meyer; 02-01-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Those orange BD's are the foam core jobs made by Atomic, right? That was BD's bottom feeder era. The yellow Havocs are even worse. If these are indeed the foam core Verdicts, selling and getting a rockered tip ski (e.g., Coomback) would be the best solution.

FWIW, the greater ramp angle of the Dynafits might militate somewhat against tip dive. In theory, that is.

They were bought new last year so I think they have a wood core. If they were foam there's no way I would mount them twice!

It sounds like you have the new verdicts and not the old orange/black ones Big Steve is talking about. I had the blue version and sold them because they skied like a plank and had too much camber. Now's your chance to get something else if you don't like them. Otherwise, I'd probably go 6mm forward. You might not even notice 6mm.

there are 3 versions of verdict and I have version 1 & 2

IME the foam core version 1 made in the atomic factory have the most camber by a long shot

the chinese made wood core blue version 2 have probably half the camber compared to the version 1 and I don't know anything about the version 3 except they are orange

I had demo bindings on the version 2 so I could move the boot center around and for ME boot on center felt better than 1" forward on groomers

if you are feeling both tip dive AND backseat ... I gotta wonder what else is going on ??

of course you should get rockered skis but ME I like to use the verdicts when it hasn't snowed in awhile

I have mounted the version 1 foam cores twice both tele & fr+ ,the version 2 twice with fr+ and 977demos

What shop are you using??

I've mounted several Dynafit setups to replace an existing Fritschi, and although 2 of the total 9 holes might be in close proximity, that's it. Using glued-in wood plugs, binding pullout is not necessarily an issue.

But if you're going to choose between fore and aft placement, with the shop of your choice, I'd go aft. Given your BSL, which is phat.

If you are looking for all around performance and all types of conditions that bc can provide ie wind buff, corn, pow, ice etc, I would do the 6 mm forward mount. Really, that about a 1/4". These are meant to be versatile crud busters.

If you are looking for pow performance, there are a lot of other skis out there you would be better off with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

"Center Mounted" could mean different things. Check with your shop tech to make sure you're on the same page:

"Boot Center" = mounted at MFG recommended line. Generally carves ice and floats powder better.

"Core Center" = mounted newschool to balance swing weight for steeezy trixnshit. Your boot is literally centered on the ski. Generally shitty for everything but dropping 540s and riding switch.

"Center Mount" = fuzzy vocab used by clueless customers to frustrate shop techs.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Truthfully I bought these skis so they would be more versatile than a huge rockered pow-only ski. I like to think that I only tour on pow days, but the reality is that I go up volcanoes in the spring, and I take them out at Squaw and elsewhere at night for star photography missions, so their versatility and weight were the real purchase points.

I went with the "back 15mm" choice, at the Backcountry by Aaron who seems pretty knowledgeable. They have a lot of new guys this year though so truthfully I haven't had a mount from them yet this year. The skis were mounted at boot center (MFG suggested line on skis matched with line on boots). So now they are 1.5 cm back from that.

I'll report back about how things turn out once I ski them, these are my first Dynafits so that's going to change things up a bit as well.

BTW the mounting recs are all on the BD website which I found to be spot-on for my tele & fixed heel mounts & re-mounts SO you can measure from ski tail to boot center if you want to check your mount to see what you really have

IME if you got ANY questions BD answers their e-mails really quick ... fastest I have had an answer is in <2hrs