Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Question

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    9 foot crown. Dog Leg Chutes (not super familiar with that area). Big. Big. And scary big.

What is the safety factor of even standing there?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    What is the safety factor of even standing there?
    can't tell from the pic. you can't see how much is still hanging above. i would say that a lot of stored energy has already been released there. if it was going to break higher it would have likely done so already. it happened the night before. i wouldn't conduct a bonzai test above the crown but i think the bedsurface is probably an ok place to be if wra deemed it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze

The Battleship (also known as Arnold) is a large path along US 550 in southwestern Colorado. It is located in the San Juan Mountains about 3.55 miles north of Silverton. The top of the starting zone is at 12,400 feet, and avalanches can fall 2720 feet to Mineral Creek, but very large slab avalanches such as this one can climb the 250 feet from the creek to the highway. This avalanche buried US 550 3 feet X 800 feet.
    I've seen the debris pile from this one a few times. Notice the small chute to lookers left is also running, that's the one that usually hits the road as it terminates right at the creek running directly at the road.

i wouldn't conduct a bonzai test above the crown .
    Growing small japanese trees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

The slide was about 100 feet wide and ran for about 800 vertical feet taking out some large trees.The aspect is northeast at about 9500 feet. The angle in the starting zone is around 37 degrees. Slide ran on November faceted layering.
    Since the slide ran the day before it was quite safe. We used the east facing next to the slide as an exit run back to Brighton, had to jump over one stress fracture around six feet deep and a couple wide with two more concealed by the new snow below the first one.
    As has been mentioned previously on this thread: after a 24 or so hour period, the slide path and the stress fractures surrounding it are unlikely to avalanche because the tension was released in the original slide and the snow has had a good long period to set up from the jolt received with the avalanche.
    I wasn't worried about being on the slide path or skiing beside it, but my partner, without much experience, was a bit disturbed and learned a lot from the exposure

x-post from ttips

these are some incredible pics.

Last edited by AltaPowderDaze; 01-13-2005 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add pic

s,
    is that the big one from East Chute of Elk Point that tremper was raving about this am?

the pics are unreal, it HOPPED slide paths & took out 2+ acres of mature timber

correct woodsy. it was rather large. i will be up in bcc this weekend for the uac class. if you see us out say hello.

WILL DO
    if you come by to say hi to Marvin & the Gang stop in to the Inn and say hi.

ping your pants while drinking your morning coffe in your cabin.

Makes the slide behind my house seem petty.

15 foot crown in the Logan Area Mtns.
    You're all lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Elitist

15 foot crown in the Logan Area Mtns.

UNFUCKING REAL............WOW.

^ damn.
    and look Tremper is on the AP wire and one of the most e-maileed fotos on Yahoooooo
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...0201140517&e=5

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy

STAY OUT is what my brain would say.
    But your brain is not attached to a 250lb body sitting on a 500lb sled. "If an avalanche starts I'll just out run it. Even if I do get caught I have a full face helmet with a radio, I"ll be able to breath and call in my rescuers."

Don't laugh, cringe. I actually heard a sledhead say that.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

trackhead, i believe this is your neck of the woods. where is that in relation to reids? aspect?

trackhead, i believe this is your neck of the woods. where is that in relation to reids? aspect?

That peak is just south of the highway, just east of the summit of the pass.

You can see it from the highway. It is perhaps the most accessible peak in the Uintas. You can easily sled to the top, then yo-yo laps on the avy side.

I believe that is a NW aspect. That thing slides all the time.