Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drift HD

Drift HD

i wanted to start a specific thread on the Drift for purely selfish reasons. just looking for other users input on best practices and 'hot tips'

i took a really awkward fall and my head hit the ground hard right on the camera. my ski was stuck on a root as i started to head into the this tree shot. as i initiated my entrance my left ski was stuck. as i picked up my leg to make the save it just did not move due to the springiness of this little f'n root! down i went hard on my head. unbeknownst to me, the fall had turned the cam on...which made for a little comedy later on going thru the vids.

anyway, right now this is all i got....the thing is damn durable!

edit for a good reason
    Last edited by strawjack; 02-02-2011 at 07:42 AM.

I've got one and have been happy with it so far... maybe try to warranty that crack? Must have been a hell of an impact to break it like that, maybe time for a new helmet too?

How's the video? The few samples I've seen from actual users looks like the footage is not as smooth as the gopro, rather a bit choppy. Had hopes of buying it but was quite unimpressed by what I've seen so far. Any good footage you can post up?

ya, the impact was brutal. one of the hardest i've ever taken and it the fall was from a dead stop. no sliding or tumbling to absorb and lessen the impact. helmet might be due for replacement. i cannot imagine what i'd feel like without it. probably would have been knocked out.

i haven't created an account w/ utube or vimeo. i've only recorded in 720 also. i've seen some other vids and they have been good, including jaypow's.

i'll try to get something posted. i cannot edit music in yet 'cause i haven't bought any software. it records in .mov (like most) and i believe you lose some quality if you try to transfer to a different file type...not too sure though.

the new stealth drift looks pretty nice...

ok, this is all i have so far.

cloudy day, +1, helmet velcro mount.

My terrain park madness shot at 60 fps and slowed down to 33%:
    Last edited by Baconzoo; 03-22-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Stoked for my new Stealth!

Love the video I'm getting from the Drift.

One more of me Blowing myself up daily on the slopes.

Last edited by Baconzoo; 03-22-2011 at 11:56 AM.

this did not load in HD...because i don't know what the hell i'm doing

edit - for an HD version

Last edited by strawjack; 03-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.

^hey dude, are you still embedding the 'old' way? with the brackets and numbers, and whatnot. try using the film icon and just paste the url. it comes out bigger and cleaner looking.
    im loving my Drift. here's one from a couple weeks ago.
    crab in my shoe mouth

My first edit with the Drift Stealth footage. Slowmo comes out niiiiiice.

Anyone have a recommendation for where to buy the Stealth model? I've decided to pull the trigger, but I've noticed that although they're not really discounted anywhere (excluding eBay) there are some package deals where some accessories are thrown into the purchase price.

^i bought mine from http://www.mypov360.com/buy/ . Great over the top customer service...they really support the ski industry too.

i don't think there are many 'deals' to be had right now. the market is growing too fast with only a few players...that would be my guess anyway.

Buttah - thanks for the tip. the fact that i can embed at all is a miracle!

Bend down low

we drink PBR in these here parts too...

end of season edit

After a season shooting with Drift HD170 and Stealth cameras, a "Money" edit was due. Holiday Valley in Western New York hosts the 4278 Terrain Parks.

I just show up at the lift and follow who ever is feeling it on that given day. Sometimes I flip them a camera on a stick or give them my helmet/cam.

Music: Money (Featuring Gary "Nesta" Pine & Dollarman) Dub Side of the Moon (A Reggae Version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon)

finally the waterproof case is here.

http://driftinnovation.com/2011/05/n...otective-case/

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    ^hey dude, are you still embedding the 'old' way? with the brackets and numbers, and whatnot. try using the film icon and just paste the url. it comes out bigger and cleaner looking.
    NO! NO! NO! TGR fucked up the new way, which is why you can't go fullscreen. Use the old way and then you don't have to go to vimeo's site to watch it fullscreen.

Base Jumping Wingsuit with the Drift HD170 Stealth

The latest vid that I figure most heads here will enjoy. Watch to the end of the video to see the side Velcro helmet mount saves the jumper from getting tangled in his lines!

they just came out with a new cam. much smaller and some new features. bacon - you play with this one yet?

http://networkedblogs.com/kRuUZ

I haven't slept in weeks because of all the "playing" I've been doing. This one trumps the comp for sure. LCD, Remote, Menu GUI, Replaceable Lens, Mic and Power in, HDMI out. Coupled to our new external battery pack you could shoot or timelapse for 20 hrs.

I just finished upgrading the firmware on my Contour and GoPro to do another comparison to Prove it. I'll be back with the results.

PS I'm seen a few times in the home page video shooting with my monopod.

Is the mic connection still the same?
    Awesome to be able to put a lav on there. I just worry slightly about the connection.
    An external mic is probably the best part about the drift from a professional standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Is the mic connection still the same?
    Awesome to be able to put a lav on there. I just worry slightly about the connection.
    An external mic is probably the best part about the drift from a professional standpoint.
    New connector is a 2.5 mm mic in.

Also 1080p is now 170 degree field of view.

Plus with access to external jacks our new external battery pack goes up to 20 hours. (seen here doing a timelapse)

The $99 Power Pack also charges phones, ipods etc.

Sounding pretty damn good. I was pretty impressed with the unit we got to use at intersection. This may be the best unit on the market.

August 2011 comparison with all four cameras and their latest firmware updates. Shot in 1080p, the Drift HD is the clear winner in color, sharpness and field of view.

I don't know about 'clear' winner, but definitely the HD 170 and GoPro look nicer to me.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.