Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who laughs about how many times they explain their rockered skis?

Soo long time lurker, first time poster here...

I'm seriously going to start counting how many times a day I have to explain that no, my skis aren't bent or broken, they're supposed to be like that. Granted, I ski mostly in Austria, which is a race-bred country, and most other people think that anything with a waist above 80mm is a fat ski. Reverse camber skis have not come to the masses here yet, and it makes for hilarious lift or gondola rides. The best I've heard so far is, "Hey, I think you skis are broken!" from an older gentlemen. I couldn't help but laugh as I explained that they were supposed to be like that...

I think I'm explaining reverse camber at least 5 times per ski day at this point...

Anybody else getting sick of the questioning?
    very in-depth, season-long armada JJ review with lots of pics here

As soon as I get some rockered skis i'll let you know. I would guess not often though as about 1/4 of the people on my hill (Whistler) seem to have s7's.

Right on, brah! And what's up with having to always explain to chicks why I don't like to wear a rubber? I mean, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by skibum_jr View Post
    As soon as I get some rockered skis i'll let you know. I would guess not often though as about 1/4 of the people on my hill (Whistler) seem to have s7's.
    comor pumps them out with free chopped liver
    holy fucking shitballs

It's even worse, I put a "Maui Built" on mine and all day I have been explaining that it it a locals thing at home and the skis are NOT made in Maui. One crew I said, yeah, a board shaper makes them for his ski buddies... scraping of the word built and just leaving the Maui...soon

Yeah - it is ridiculous how many people up there have them. I'm jealous - though I haven't seen the Icelantic Keeper yet, and that will hopefully be my next ski.

Don't explain it. Just look down at them and say, "Ohhh nooo! What happened to my skis?!!"

forget about rocker. if your skis are over 90mm on the east coast of the US you're going to be getting questions.

and for good reason... the "normal" ski experience here makes skis wider than 90mm a poor choice for on piste besides during a great pow storm which happens only a few times a year.

that said for our bc terrain up to 110mm is quite useful.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

In the PNW almost never
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    In the PNW almost never
    Ive been asked if my skis are broken numerous times at Baker.

"eh, your skis are broken, eh"

My normal reaction is the one pisteoff recommends.

In farness they are Surfaces.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

What are rockered skis?

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post

Ive been asked if my skis are broken numerous times at Baker.

"eh, your skis are broken, eh"

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post

In farness they are Surfaces.
    so they are broken

On the same note I find it odd when someone who is riding a czar type ski comes up to me while I'm riding my hellbents and tells me they are huge. Perhaps its because I use a scott p4 as my daily driver and I'm used to skiing a 105ish waist every day.

It's even worse, I put a "Maui Built" on mine and all day I have been explaining that it it a locals thing at home and the skis are NOT made in Maui. One crew I said, yeah, a board shaper makes them for his ski buddies... scraping of the word built and just leaving the Maui...soon
    Got the same sticker on my skis and sled! Rasta colors though and I took the maui built off. Got a "Farm it" sticker from them as well on the sled. Went to school in Lahaina for grade 1.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

I don't get asked nearly as much anymore. I started skiing Spatulas in 2004.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    the "normal" ski experience here makes skis wider than 90mm a poor choice for on piste besides during a great pow storm which happens only a few times a year.
    not really.. if you have some sidecut and camber, it doesn't really matter too much

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Got the same sticker on my skis and sled! Rasta colors though and I took the maui built off. Got a "Farm it" sticker from them as well on the sled. Went to school in Lahaina for grade 1.
    If you need me to go to Tropix and get you some stickers let me know.

So what cuz you was born in Wailuku or what? whatevas...

saturday-sunday you get lots of talk of 'omg look at those' in the lines at whistler. weekdays, never

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    saturday-sunday you get lots of talk of 'omg look at those' in the lines at whistler. weekdays, never
    I may take out some bent chets tomorrow, so i will see how many questions i get.

First day I took out my Pontoons (just to try them out, no new snow) was on the groomers at Mt High, which does a great job with snowmaking but only has about one skier per 500 teenage pothead snowboarders.

As rediculous as it was to be on Pontoons that day, at that ski area, I don't think anyone asked me about them. The snowboarders paid no attention and the one or two other skiers on the hill never happened to be in the lift line at the same time.

I may take out some bent chets tomorrow, so i will see how many questions i get.
    Planning some groomer cruising Sunday, do you know something I don't? Doesn't seem like conditions for the Bents...
    Will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?

It snowed 5cm today and is still snowing. Only supposed to get 2 tonight, but i am hoping for more. 7 cm could be ok for a free demo if the wind blows it all into the same area.

I've been wanting to try them out for a while and since there is no real snow in sight, i am willing to do it with 7cm

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Yeah - it is ridiculous how many people up there have them. I'm jealous - though I haven't seen the Icelantic Keeper yet, and that will hopefully be my next ski.
    We hope they will be your next ski too shafty!

Looking to be a part of something more? Check it out!
    (HINT: this could help you with those skis as well as a bunch of other perks!)
    http://icelanticboards.com/firsttracks/

Just wait until 11/12 line drops in September... brings out the ANIMAL in us!
    http://icelanticboards.com/
    -------One Degree Celsius-------
    http://icelanticboards.com
    http://www.myspace.com/icelanticskis
    http://www.twitter.com/icelantic_skis
    Search "Icelantic Skis" on Facebook and become a fan!

You think that's bad? Try having to explain what a splitboard is every time you go out. I swear EVERY tourist I passed on my hike in and out this weekend asked what kind of "special skis" were on my pack.

a woman on the chair told me my JJ's looked perverse so now I refer to them as having perverse sidecut