Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    ...I can't imagine a worse ski for groomer and cruising days on hard snow. Sure they can edge but the turn radius is huge and they need a lot of speed to come alive.
    What?! Both the 193 and 183 rule for high-speed groomers! And at least the 183 rules for speed and grip on bulletproof snow offpiste. Are you saying you prefer to go slow on groomer and cruising days on hard snow? Don't get these skis if you hate speed.

The 183 m103 is one of the burliest skis out of all skis 183 or shorter. For hard charging skiers trying to come back from a knee injury, I'd recommend the 183 as a stepping stone until you''re ready to step it up to your favorite big charger ski. The 183 is short (safer for the recovering knee), but a lot of burl, running length, and effective edge per cm of length.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    What?! Both the 193 and 183 rule for high-speed groomers! And at least the 183 rules for speed and grip on bulletproof snow offpiste. Are you saying you prefer to go slow on groomer and cruising days on hard snow? Don't get these skis if you hate speed.
    No ... I'd just prefer to ride a GS race board with a narrow waist if it is really calling for a high speed groomer day :-)

I'm in fucking love with my im103s. I had forgotten how much fun they are. Made 60mph chalky chop at Abasin today feel almost silky smooth. I wish Zuma had softened up enough before it closed to let these beasts loose on a 40 degree bowl with 1-2 turns. Sooo.... much.... fun! I'm a lightweight, and sometimes need to get through tight spaces, so the 183s are all I need.

Buy mine!!!
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Bump, thinking about picking up a pair of 102/103's for all around mixed snow charging.

I really loved my super M 103s in a 183cm. They were my go to snow blade ski. maybe I was used to longer but they were easy to throw around. Would have gotten another year as a rock ski if I hadn't compressed an edge. no speed limit but had to watch fore aft as a bit short for me. Would have loved them in a 188.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

More runningLength-per-totalLength than any other ski I'm aware of. Heavy, damp, large radius.

193cm:
    Loved them in all penetrable conditions at high speeds in open terrain, but was beginning to lose my love for them due to high input power and commitment required at slow speeds in tight spaces/billy-goating/etc. Then tore my ACL (playing soccer), and decided I should get rid of such a powerful beast, to reduce risk for my surgically-repaired ACL. Whistler's open bowls/terrain were my favorite place to ski them, but 193 still wasn't ideal even at Whistler, because Whistler has plenty of low viz days, which is not safe in the long run for skiing 60mph all the time on 193 m103s. Skiing slow was a lot of work. These would be money for open space with reliable great viz.

183cm:
    I still have a 183 in my quiver, I still use it when needed (not often), so I will keep it and keep using it.
    Skinniest ski I own. On the worst days with nasty-vibes, teeth-shattering bulletproof refrozen tracks offpiste, that won't be softening up by end of day---when very few people ski more than one hour on groomers before quitting, and basically no one else even bothers to ski off the groomers---the 183 is still my favorite ski for enabling smooth ride at higher speeds in those nasty conditions offpiste. It's the heavy-weight damp stabliity that helps, plus high radius does not catch tip edge unexpectedly, etc. And the ski is narrow enough to get occasional grip in-between chattery bounces, without much dishing, and so prevents total loss of control.
    In those conditions, every other ski model I've tried requires me to ski more slowly and safely (high-speed falls on coral reef would be bad). (Actually, heavy-ass O.G. Spatulas are also decent at smoothing out unexpected knocks in such conditions).
    In other non-bulletproof snow conditions, I prefer other ski models WAY more than m103. If you try to smear in >3" tracked fresh after it cooks, you'll be disappointed in the feel---so just carve.

LENGTH:
    I agree with DougW above. Would love it in an "in-between" size like 189cm.

HISTORY:
    The m103 was produced for more consecutive years than any ski I can think of. More years than Volkl Explosive.

Last edited by Vitamin I; 09-07-2015 at 01:03 AM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I'm the original poster on this 4 year old thread, it hasn't seen a lot of action but it is funny to see it pop up now. To answer my original question, I bought a pair off levelninesports for $229, still own them and love them. Only in the 183s, as I'm 5'8", and definitely not a daily driver.

Last year I inserted mine with binding freedom inserts so I don't have a set of bindings dedicated to them. Recent good times on them included a 17" day at Solitude last Xmas, albeit with no base. The tough ptex on them survived numerous rock scrapes unscathed.

I truly appreciated them in the PNW spring where their heft would just charge through the April mush.

183s were not as stiff as the 193s, from what I remember. 183s were daily drivers on hardpack, the 193s were for everything else. 193s would flex hard at super high speed sometimes, going from barely no flex to a lot of flex, and they dove sometimes. And fuck they were heavy.

If you like the old 103s, try el dictators if you can find a pair, they are similar but better. Early rise tip on a stiff ski, with an even flex. But it's been awhile since I skied either.

I have monster 103s for sale... $100. Mint. 193cm

Mammoth chair 23 wind buff days were what I had in mind when I got my 103s. Pulled them out last Sunday for just such a day. Been looking for a modern replacement with a flat tail and some tip rise. Heavy damp crud chargers. Head Kore 105, Stokli Stormrider 102, Volkl Blaze 106, Fischer Ranger 102 all seem to be more turny than I'm looking for. Blizzard Cochise 106 with a longer turning radius is the closest to what I am looking for.

What else is out there that I'm missing?

2018 Monster 108?

Like the ski but availability is an issue.

Stockli Stormrider Pro cir 2014

The Dynastar Pro Rider 105 (aka M-Pro 105) is probably the most similar in production ski.

Ha. I still have that extra pair of im103s, new in plastic. Thx for the mammaries.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    They still are really good at what they are good at. I just picked up a pair of the 183s to replace a delamming pair of 193s.
    Good reminder to look at these in the basement. The 183s are still kicking. The 193s are just sentimental wall decoration.
    I measured 80cm of delam on one edge and 105+ cm of delam on the other 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Ha. I still have that extra pair of im103s, new in plastic. Thx for the mammaries.
    Mammaries is right. I doubt I'll wear mine out since they aren't the eagles, but how much? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211223_204703.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	397945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211223_204647.jpeg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	397946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211223_205633.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	397947

What is that die living 13 sticker? Was that a mono skier?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    What is that die living 13 sticker? Was that a mono skier?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of the pics in other threads are gone, but this one has some still.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=109943

Good reminder to look at these in the basement. The 183s are still kicking. The 193s are just sentimental wall decoration.
    I measured 80cm of delam on one edge and 105+ cm of delam on the other 3. Mammaries is right. I doubt I'll wear mine out since they aren't the eagles, but how much? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211223_204703.jpeg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	397945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211223_204647.jpeg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	397946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211223_205633.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	397947
    Delams are common in the 103s because they literally stapled two GS (or SG?) cores together to create them. Amazing skis just the same. I still have one pair.

Lots of the pics in other threads are gone, but this one has some still.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=109943
    That’s it! That’s the rad stuff. Thanks for that.

how much?
    One million dollars for these unique beasts. Or $75.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Wow that dude is rad. Love this pic.

Name:  IMG_2462.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  20.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Wow that dude is rad. Love this pic.
    Another one.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingeist View Post
    Had a hell of a time Heli-skiing with Sitski, shooting shotguns and hanging with the TGR boys in Juneau, he also rallied up to Haines to heliski and could be the first Sitskier to do a "toe in" landing. FKNAAttachment 147557

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Delams are common in the 103s because they literally stapled two GS (or SG?) cores together to create them. Amazing skis just the same. I still have one pair.
    Delams were common on the 1st gen(eagles). It had nothing to do w/ the cores and everything to do w/ the wrong choice of sidewall material. Sidewall too brittle and would crack and chip.
    I've got eagles and the blue/white gen. Eagles are fukt and blues are still running cleanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200325_151921.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	980.6 KB 
ID:	397977