Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    wow.
    Just plain chilling.
    I can't possibly offer anything other than best wishes to you and to Zach's family and friends. Take the time to heal APD.

Thank you for telling us all....

APD,

I'm sure there isn't much any of us can say or do that will really help. But, for you to have made the recovery you did, as fast as you did, in that terrain is simply amazing. You did as much as anyone could have done!

Keep well.
    Life's simple: Ski or Die

This thread gives me goosebumps. So incredibly sad and sobering. APD, sounds like you did all you could. I hope in time you will be able to find peace. I'm sure going back to the site was completely surreal. I can't imagine the ache of retracing those steps.

Whenever I hear of an untimely death like this a song by The Flaming Lips always comes to mind. Below are some of the lyrics.

"Do you realize
    That everyone you know someday will die?
    And instead of saying all of your good-byes
    Let them know you realize that life goes fast
    It's hard to make the good things last
    You realize the sun doesn't go down
    It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round"

It sounds like you guys were working on "the good things" in life. And I don't think the sun has gone down. He will continue to live on in others as an organ donor. He's saving lives. Maybe somewhere in another forum, on another stretch of internet there lives a heartwarming thread. Somebody is posting with tears of joy as the organ they needed for their child or loved one just became available. RIP Zach.

Amazing APD... You have my deepest condolences. I understand how you feel right now. I hope you are staying strong and dealing well with your emotions.

It sounds like Zach was a great person. He lived well, and he died well. I can only hope my last day on earth will be as enjoyable as Zach's was.

And, I also want to say thank you. Your coming in here and talking about it is truly awesome. You are doing an incredible service for everybody who reads your words. - I have spent many, many days studying and learning about snow & avalanches, but I think I may have learned as much from your story as I have in all of those classes put together. You and Zach have inspired me to be better, learn more, and practice harder.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9
    He will continue to live on in others as an organ donor. He's saving lives. Maybe somewhere in another forum, on another stretch of internet there lives a heartwarming thread. Somebody is posting with tears of joy as the organ they needed for their child or loved one just became available. RIP Zach.
    First off, APD, my sincerest condolences to you, Zach, his friends, and especially his family. I know it's a difficult time- but I'm sure you know all of us are here for support. Know that you did all that you could to help save his life. No matter what you do, sometimes, it's just that time

As for MD9's thoughts- they are right on. There is a moving documentary on OLN about Chris Klug, the Aspen snowboarder that took the bronze in parallel GS at the SLC Olympics after just 1.5-2 years from a life-saving liver transplant. Chris was given only a few months to live, unless the unfortunate incident occurred and a liver was found (in his case, a 14 year old boy was shot to death near Denver). He also had a chance to meet the 'family' of his donor after the Olympics. Awkward, but emotionally moving.

Zach will be with us all as we rip lines in the winter, but also providing a lifeline to another person. R.I.P., Zach. May you find peace and joy with the endless everlasting, 'perfect' run.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    third, don't let outside factors affect how you make your decisions. cold,wet, uncomfortable, storm coming in, tired, hungry, light fading? any one of those can change your mind and allow you to make a less safe choice.
    These are important words APD. Something like this just shows it only takes one short lapse in judgement to cause a tragedy. Thanks for sharing this experience and my condolences to Zach's family.

When I took the shuttle to Alta Friday the driver mentioned the recent avalanche fatalities and of course the slide your friend caused was one of these. It's the first time I've ever had any personal connection, however tenuous, to something like this.

Wow. APD, just wanted to let you know how valuable this information is. Knowing how to travel safely in the backcountry is a direct result of other peoples experiences. Thank you.

I stopped off on Friday at the practice rescue range. I did three seperate searches. The first one, a two person burial, went very well. I found the first beacon in about two minutes. The second one was tough. I found it quickly, but the snow was so hard my probe couldn't penetrate the snow. I broke the snow up with my shovel and found it. The buzzer sounded as my probe struck the target and I collapsed. 7 minutes of searching left my absolutely drained. I couldn't imagine doing what you did.

woodsy, bobmc and everybody else from the bcc side,

i'd like to let you know how grateful i am to the patrollers from brighton and solitude, but especially solitude. those guys and gals were extremely professional and instrumental in getting my friend extricated and to the chopper. ian was the first responder and was the only thing keeping me focused after help arrived. those patrollers risked a lot to get over to where we were. once they began working on zach they did not stop, even when things looked bleak. you mags are in great hands over there.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    woodsy, bobmc and everybody else from the bcc side,

i'd like to let you know how grateful i am to the patrollers from brighton and solitude, but especially solitude. those guys and gals were extremely professional and instrumental in getting my friend extricated and to the chopper. ian was the first responder and was the only thing keeping me focused after help arrived. those patrollers risked a lot to get over to where we were. once they began working on zach they did not stop, even when things looked bleak. you mags are in great hands over there.
    Marvin runs a great group.
    I can put you in contact if ya want.
    Actually as I was driving up today I was thinking that I may e-mail him your recolection of the events with your permission.
    They were out & up so fast that day it was un real.

keep your chin up mang, unfortunately I have had to help a few friends through this exact type of thing.
    if you need anything PM me.
    Last edited by Woodsy; 12-21-2004 at 06:04 PM.