Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    i know some of you want to know what went on up there last friday. i will try to answer questions as best i can so long as they do not get too personal as to both zach and the less appropriate details of the recovery. i do have important information to share, some of it i have posted in the safety meeting thread.

i will have to go back to work in an hour and may be late getting back to the board but i will try to help those understand atleast what i know of the incident.

Only when/if you're ready, chief. God Bless...
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater
    Exactly....
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Are you OK? (Mentally and Physically?)

Unhappy

APD, sorry for the loss of your friend, and we're glad you walked out of it in one piece.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    RIP

Everyone be safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater
    and everyone please... don't fuck this up
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Totally with you on this one, APD. You're a good man. I know it's hard to accept consolation, but remember - your intentions were always the best.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    ... i do have important information to share...i will try to help those understand at least what i know of the incident.
    That's all you can do.

Thanks in advance and keep your chin up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Are you OK? (Mentally and Physically?)
    i can't say that i am either. i am not physically injured but feel that things don't work as well when you aren't mentally there. i find that when i get busy at work and am running around to do things quickly that i start to hyperventilate like after my help was no longer needed. i still think about the whole scenario while i am doing other things that require my attention. i still have to reinact the scenario to tell me exactly how long everything took. that will help me piece things back together. the only blurry part is assembling the probe and shovel and the false strike i got first. i still think that i had his head uncovered between 5 and 8 minutes. that 3 minutes haunts me too much not to find out for sure. i will also check the 911 call log to see if i can gain knowledge from there. i know i called once i started to ascend the debris again while i was searching. that was only 30-45 seconds after the slide set. i hung up after i got the first beacon signal and answered the phone again i think just after i dug his head out. this video plays too much for me not to go back and time myself.

Don't do anything for our benefit, brother. Let it ride for as long as you need...we're not going anywhere and I think everyone around here is extra careful due to the circumstances. Take your time and talk when you're really ready and comfortable. Love, support and positivity...
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Unhappy

my heartfelt condolences to zach's family and to your own recovery process apd.
    i can only try and imagine, oh man.

good luck working through it. help helps with this sometimes.

APD,

Glad to [hear] your voice here again.

This last week has been quite sobering indeed. One of the most horrific weeks I can remember. I'm am positive EVERYONE here will be smarter, wiser, more cautious, informative, etc, after last weeks multiiple tragedies.

Again, glad you're back.

Good thoughts comin' to you from Canada, APD.

I hope you can find peace, apd. Please everyone, let us be careful out there.

I can only imagine the adrenaline-inspired mindfuck, it had to be intense beyond words.

Words seem pretty worthless right now.

Damn, I get the chills everytime I check this thread. I'd like to echo the words of support and welcome to come back and use us as a resource when you're ready APD - can't imagine the insanity you're experiencing. RIP Zach and positive vibes sent your way.

APD--so good to see you back. Thoughts and prayers still with you.
    The Griz

No shit. Glad you're okay and hope none of us ever have to go through that tragedy.

Avy rescue equipment - gear you never want to use.

APD -- my thoughts are with you and Zach's family.

Further info for those interested:

Just saw some vid footage of the slide path, debris, etc. Pretty much a nightmare slide path with lots and lots of variables like trees, undulations and what looked like two fall lines (gullies) disected by a tree stand. Looked like a 1 or 2 foot crown with unbelievable sheer quality. Also a very long debris field that could have been very disorienting due to undulations in the terrain and said trees. Appeared that the victim was actually located relatively high, against a tree stand and before the pronounced debris field. However this was taken from vid footage so it was hard to make out.

From what I could gather, the rescue scenario was unlike anything anyone imagines, even in backcountry rescue practice scenarios...many more features and variables than one might expect.

Good to hear from you again APD. We've been thinkin about ya, hope you're doing alright.

Thoughts and vibes are with all involved. I'll echo what those above have been saying: all in time.

d.

Cellie PM'ed. Although we've never met please feel free to use it at any time and for any reason. When you're ready to talk... talk. Here, on the phone, to your folks, to a priest/councillor, to me, to mags in a bar (not wise, IMHO, but comfort for some.)

Let it out, don't internalize it, otherwise you'll go crazy.

APD, peace be with you mang.
    Take your time, and know our thoughts and prayers are with you and Zachs family.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here."