Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xover
    APD?

Shhh.........not that it was not the 1st thing to cross my mind.

My condoleneces as well. At Brighton yesterday we saw tracks disappear in that area into a crown and slide path. Bummer. Sorry apd.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Unhappy

. Sad stuff. At the Bird you could see impressive fracture lines all along the Twins and basically the ridgelines the entire way from Little cloud up the twins and around on both the little cloud side and Mineral Basin side. The fracture line above Powder Paradise was huge. The debris from some of them ran a long way too. Sorry for anyone who was involved this is rough stuff for sure.

I heard about it, and was really hoping no one from here was involved. Sad... my condolences to whoever it was.
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

Fatality From Last Night's Avalanche is Identified
    Dec. 11, 2004

The skier who died in last nights avalanche up Big Cottonwood canyon has been identified. He is Zachary Eastman of Cottonwood Heights.

Whether it was hiking up the Tetons, skiing in the backcountry, or running from a bear...Zachary Eastman loved the outdoors. Sure, he was only 22-years-old when he died Friday night...but he's already experienced so many thing many of us will never experience. For some reason, Scott Eastman just knew the phone shouldn't have been ringing so late on a Friday night.

SCOTT EASTMAN: "MY 16-YEAR OLD TALKED TO ME AND SAID DAD, ZACH WAS SKIING. AND I KNEW RIGHT THEN."
    He knew...but he didn't want to believe that his oldest son, Zachary Eastman, had died.
    SCOTT EASTMAN; "IF HE HAD TO GO ANYWHERE, THIS WAS AS GOOD A PLACE AS ANY."
    Eastman loved the mountains...especially Grizzly Gulch on Big Cottonwood canyon.
    Unfortunately, it's where he died when an avalanche buried him.
    POWELL EASTMAN: "WE'D TAKE IT HARDER IF IT WAS A CAR ACCIDENT OR CANCER, BUT WE KNEW HE'D LOVE IT. IT'S STILL WAY HARD, AND IT'S GOING TO HURT FOR A LONG TIME, BUT SINCE IT WAS SKIING, IT'S A LITTLE SOFTER."
    Zach was the oldest of four.. and loved to bring his little brothers on his big adventures....like the hike up Raymonds Peak.
    JOSH EASTMAN: "WE GOT UP THERE, AND A SNOWSTORM CAME... AND HE ONLY HAD ON SHORTS, AND HE'S A FURRY ANIMAL... FURRY... AND HE LOST ALL THE HAIR ON HIS LEGS."
    ...or just a couple of days ago...when Zach didn't have a pass to go skiing at Alta, but he wanted to join his little brother in-line.
    POWELL EASTMAN: "I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD BE SAYING THIS, BUT HE GETS THROUGH, AND WE TAKE A RUN, AND OH IT WAS GOOD. HE WAS A GOOD SKIER. I LOOKED UP TO HIM VERY MUCH."
    It's the good memories that make life, and death, so special.
    SCOTT EASTMAN: "WE HAVE EACH OTHER, AND WE HAVE MEMORIES. AND ZACH, HE'S STILL GONNA BE WITH US."
    Zachary Eastman was an organ donor, so all his organs are now going to be used to save someone else's life.

As for the family, they spent the afternoon making funeral arrangements.

They asked that any donations be made to the National Ski Patrol, or the Friends of the Utah Avalanche Center.

They asked that any donations be made to the National Ski Patrol, or the Friends of the Utah Avalanche Center.
    This needs to happen. A truly worthy cause.

The Future
    It is unclear what the future will bring in terms of federal support for services such as backcountry avalanche forecasting. Given the current budgetary problems, it would be foolish to count on past levels of support continuing. In Utah we are well on our way to a funding partnership in which the USFS will contribute 50% or less. Other centers should consider laying the groundwork for diversifying their support before it becomes a last minute effort of necessity. Backcountry forecasting services can, and should, be funded by a diverse partnership which is based on solid community support.
    Last edited by Trackhead; 12-11-2004 at 09:53 PM.

Jesus, half my age.

And with all the stupid stuff I've done and do.

Rest easy Zachary, rest easy.

Amen. For pictures of the slide, go here

Disturbing.

RIP Zachary

May those you've left behind honor your memory.

Incident Report from the Avy Center
    Last edited by truth; 12-12-2004 at 10:15 AM.

That's sickening.
    RIP, Zachary.

Those pictures are absolutely unreal. That crown pic is chilling.

Please all - be careful.
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

Condolences to his family and friends.
    RIP Zachary
    Signature removed for non-payment

Very sad. My condolences to all those involved.

RIP Zach.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    This needs to happen. A truly worthy cause.

The Future
    It is unclear what the future will bring in terms of federal support for services such as backcountry avalanche forecasting. Given the current budgetary problems, it would be foolish to count on past levels of support continuing. In Utah we are well on our way to a funding partnership in which the USFS will contribute 50% or less. Other centers should consider laying the groundwork for diversifying their support before it becomes a last minute effort of necessity. Backcountry forecasting services can, and should, be funded by a diverse partnership which is based on solid community support.
    Amen. Condolences.

This one hit close to home. I patrolled with Zach, and his father Scott, as a volunteer at PC. I was his team leader for half a season when he was involved in the junior patroller program. My condolences to him and his family. A check is in the mail to the UAFC in Zachs name.

Love and prayers to the family. RIP and Pow, Zach.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

while this is up here, i just wanted to say that my heart goes out to the parties involved. i just wish there was something i could do.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

I am so sick right now. I wondered all weekend if this was a maggot, and to know that a certain maggot was involved makes me even more sick. My thought and condolences to Zach's family and friends. Other maggot--thoughts and prayers with you my friend.
    The Griz

RIP to Zachary. This is so tragic. Though I didn't know him, it hits closer to home than in the past...these events really stick in your mind if you're doing time in the bc yourself. God, this is so sad. Serious positive vibes to the maggot involved...and I wish the best to his family.....

To the maggot involved, we are here for ya when you're ready...the good the bad and the ugly are all part of this place, don't stay away too long.

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    Reading is elementary.
    You posted your news story at the time I was typing. Stop being a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    To the maggot involved, we are here for ya when you're ready...the good the bad and the ugly are all part of this place, don't stay away too long.
    Thanks for saying what I couldn't put into words Truth.

We are here for ya buddy.

PM me.

This is shaping up to be a "weird" year all over, we all needto be extra carefull this season. RIP
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Coming off the high of Gordy's camp, I'm now sitting here shocked and saddend to have just found out that one of the fatalities this weekend was a friend.

Shit, that makes 5 friends/bc partners in the last 15 years.

Melvin had very little BC experience and was just out for a nice day snowshoeing in the sun. Probably since he was doing low angle stuff and is in no way an extremo dude, he didn't even realize he was in any danger.

He had a lot to contribute, was just about to finish his Ph.D. and re-enter med school for his M.D.

He will be missed greatly.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2484359

Again, please be careful and knowlegeable when you venture out of bounds.

Unhappy

RIP

This is all very sad. Condolences to everyone who knew these people.

I've seen the look of pain on peoples faces in incidents like these. It is indescribable and their pain unimaginable. May you remember your friends in their happiness and find solice in that. There's always help. PM me if you wish.

My worst skiing nightmare is losing a friend in an avalanche. My gut twists into horrible knots everytime my SAR pager goes off and the call is for an area where I know my friends are out that day. It was creepy as going to the VP avalanche two days ago and searching a whole field to find nothing. It was creepy as hell going to the avalanche call last week and seeing a maggot walk out of it.

Please God, no dead maggots, Please.
    Everyone be safe out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.