Logging on Galbraith

In case anyone didn't know... They started logging Galbraith... Just an area near pipeline road. Where the bunny trails are. I haven't been on pipeline in awhile, but for some reason I decided to go that way today and was surprised by the multitude of trucks and machinery up there. Theyve already clear cut a bunch up there. Someone is trying to make some money...

Ill have to go check it out tomorrow, at least there aren't closing the whole thing off.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

More info from the trail builder's point of view:

[ame="http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239313"]Galbraith as a working Commercial Forest - Ridemonkey.com[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    In case anyone didn't know... They started logging Galbraith... Just an area near pipeline road. Where the bunny trails are. I haven't been on pipeline in awhile, but for some reason I decided to go that way today and was surprised by the multitude of trucks and machinery up there. Theyve already clear cut a bunch up there. Someone is trying to make some money...
    There not going to make much money logging with timber prices in the toilet like they are. Can't remember the name of the timber company that owns it, but about the only way to make money off raw land right now is to clear it and develop it. Hope that doesn't happen, of course with the housing market hurting, that might take some time.

Tin Rock management

Polygon IS trying to sell galbraith to the city of bellingham. Bham just can't afford it

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011...galbraith.html

fuck i have to get down and check that stuff out before it's too late, same stuff going on mt eliphinstone up here

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    fuck i have to get down and check that stuff out before it's too late, same stuff going on mt eliphinstone up here
    none of the trails being logged are super epic, so don't worry about it. mostly just flat connector trails, although they can be fun.

ive never been on any of those trails... bunny, kaya, etc. there is hardly any topographic relief in that area so I always thought whats the point? i dont think galby mountain biking will cease in the coming years because of this. they've logged that mountain before, trails get destroyed, but then rebuilt. keystone and wonderland are trails through a clear cut area.

i have ridden the bunny trails a lot but just because they are a connector to a friends house up on yew street. they are really just a connector. and after they are cut, there will still be a connector of some kind, so no big deal.

i think i read in march "lost giants" and "rock n roll" will be effected. they are cool trails, but basically cool in the category of flat connector trails, so not really the end of the world to have those messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    they've logged that mountain before, trails get destroyed, but then rebuilt. keystone and wonderland are trails through a clear cut area.
    Yeah, it's been logged (on and off) for as long as I can remember, which isn't a threat to riding. Houses would be though.

Man, went up to find some pretty shitty closings yesterday. The Birch parking lot is pretty much worthless now. Sucks for all of us that live near there. Its pretty crazy what they're doing, the roads are being tripled in width. Anyway the signs either don't exist or have been removed so here is a heads up. I rode SST Sunday and its still solid but everything from the Kiosk by Family fun center is toast. I know its how it has to be but damn it was a little sad up there.
    Last edited by rludes025; 03-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

LOGGING IS IN FULL FORCE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF GALBRAITH AND HAS SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED THE ACCESS. ESSENTIALLY THERE IS NO ACCESS FROM THE NORTH SIDE AT THIS POINT.

The WMBC has been working hard to maintain a good relationship with the new land owner, Polygon, and their land manager Tin Rock Development.

We have always known Galbraith is a working commercial forest and have done our best to plan accordingly. While we were aware the mountain was slated for more harvest in the near term, the overall harvest plan hasn't been disclosed by the land owner or manger. The recent activity took us a bit by surprise with its rapid implementation. That being said it is important to be respectful of the workers, the land owner, and pay heed to any posted trail closures. Trail access from the North side will be significantly impacted during this latest harvest.

The WMBC has been informed that we will be allowed to rebuild the trails effected by timber harvest as soon as it is safe to do so. That will definitely be a time we will need lots of volunteer help in reassembling the trail network.

There is no doubt Galbraith is a great community asset. Currently, that asset rests on private land. Last year, Polygon had talks with the City of Bellingham to sell the land, but that deal didn't happen. Now we aren't sure what the future holds. However, a group of interested parties, including the WMBC, Transition Bike Co., and WTC are currently exploring the realities and potential to preserve it as a long term recreation area. As we go through this process, we will need help from the community in various ways. More information on how you can help will be available shortly.

The WMBC will continue to do our best to keep expanding the riding opportunities, preserving what we have and keep the riding community and general public informed.

WMBC Board
    http://www.whimpsmtb.org/

Formerly Rludes025

We walked through cedar dust on friday to check out the logging. It was looking like they were keeping with their selective harvesting claim and leaving up enough trees to still be considered woods when they are done. Not sure if that's still the case though. Galbraith has been logged multiple times since I started riding there, and trails have come and gone. Galbraith is also riding better now than before any logging that I've witnessed so I'm not too worried. It also helps that the owner has absolutely no interest in owning this property, and is going to sell it to the city at some point when we make enough noise for them to listen. Stay tuned....and be prepared to rally the troops (THIS INCLUDES YOU SEATTLE AND VANCOUVER! )
    smoke crack and worship satan

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
    We walked through cedar dust on friday to check out the logging. It was looking like they were keeping with their selective harvesting claim and leaving up enough trees to still be considered woods when they are done. Not sure if that's still the case though. Galbraith has been logged multiple times since I started riding there, and trails have come and gone. Galbraith is also riding better now than before any logging that I've witnessed so I'm not too worried. It also helps that the owner has absolutely no interest in owning this property, and is going to sell it to the city at some point when we make enough noise for them to listen. Stay tuned....and be prepared to rally the troops (THIS INCLUDES YOU SEATTLE AND VANCOUVER! )
    agreed. the ridge, wonderland, 911 etc. all rebounded and/or evolved after logging. it is unfortunate, but is the nature of the situation. someone above nailed it, start sweating iwhen someone gets permission to start slapping up some sweet track homes...

Spokane crew is ready to rally Galbrath Support.