Thread: Carbon 192 bros

Carbon 192 bros

Today I finally got out on the new 192's to start with these are really light skis. My old blue bombers weigh just over 10 lbs and these weigh right at 8. Mounted at 1055mm just like the old ones with Sollyfit plates. The mount seems pretty far forward because the new tip is longer still pretty spot on very nimble but still powerful and stable. I might consider a remount at -1 later 1065mm but not likely to happen. Reviewer: 6'2" 220 not super extremo gnar slayer. But does seek out steeps and <25' drops. 325mm Nordica Speedmachine 14.

Initial impression: today there was 13" of light snow at the top great snow 10" halfway down cement type soft fun snow at the bottom 1' and rain got cold in the morning and the cut up warm soft stuff at the bottom froze and was glacial refrozen cut up, truly horrific conditions off groomed at the bottom. So after 33" in 3 days the reset button has been pushed. Super flat light in the fall line hauling ass through cut up light snow the skis were stable but lively they wanted to pop up to the top and cut big turns and then boost off any feature. In super tight Alyeska trees they pivoted where I needed them too and stomped all drops. The big strong tail helps with the stomping. So far these new 192's are a major evolution from the older blue bombers. The Lhasa tip makes the 192 a powder ski where before it was a <15" day ski (my blue bombers were superstiffs and not especially good in deep deep snow YMMV). They are definitely a different kind of crud buster. The lighter weight and slightly softer flex still blows through cut up snow heavy and light. On groomed I felt like the tune was right on 1* base bevel and progressive edge bevel 1.5* tip from where the "192" is and about the symbol to the tail.and 2* underfoot is money. I'll update once I have more than 3 hours on them.

Glad to hear the sollyfits arrived (bummed to miss the last few days I'm sure). I bet they look sexy on the big-bros.

They do, jon. I just repaired a rock-dented edge on pair with your plates on them and they look damn nice.

Its like you picked the color just to match the 192s I was stoked when I opened the package.

Hell yeah Jed, I'm putting some Sollyfits on some 196 Lhasas I picked up...We'll have to ski these together back to back one of these days. Out of town now but will be back Sunday.

Yea enjoy Kauai dick. Kidding
    Got to come up with some skins for these bad sticks.
    Last edited by Chugachjed; 01-27-2011 at 10:15 PM.

I've got some more days on these now and I guess I can really review them.
    Still 6'2" 220lbs, 28.5 boots mounted at 1055 from the tip with a straight tape. The tail looks a little long definitely longer than the old 192's but pretty sure the mount point is $$$. I've toured on them plus 6 resort days in just about every condition possible with the exception of corn, from chunky refrozen--->icy groomers--->soft groomers---> Styrofoam hero snow---> boot top pow on chunky refrozen---> cement---> deep pow. These are a lot lighter and a fair bit softer than my old blue bombers that I was so enamored with and they took some getting used to. Not quite as damp as the superstiff blue bombers and way more poppy it's a little strange to be able to ski fast through trees and make last second survival turns so easily on such a huge ski. These are definitely 194's in total length I had them next to some El Dictators today and they were the same length maybe almost a touch longer, but with the early rise they still have the same personality characteristics of the older 192's.

I can ski these all day without stopping to rest in variable conditions or anything else. They float wow do they float my old blue bombers were amazing in under a foot of fresh in over a foot of fresh they submarined and wandered in their own direction they were just so stiff and with the low tip even at high speed they wouldn't come up. Not the new big Bro's they come right up and stay tips up even at low/moderate speed.

It pains me to say this as a gear whore, I really don't need another pair of skis. The new 192's are a quiver of one cliche as it may be to say they do it all. In the Christmas chute today at the first choke visibility almost zero with fog and snow the snow was scraped off boilerplate they held an edge like crazy I made confident arcs past the guys terrified side slipping the choke the second choke was full of soft super dense deep sluff (temp was ~0F) killed it there too. These can even ski moguls not that I ever want to but it can be done and straightlining a runout pfft whatever just stand on them like they're the damn floor and go sooo stable at speed. My only gripe at this point is that the bases don't want to hold wax and they do get slow. I'll hot box them and maybe that will help.

Your review is spot on, glad others are just as stoked on this ski as I am. I have the carbon version with early tip rise, last of the old topsheet models. Going from heavy Xxls with px18s it was pure heaven on the 192s. With dukes and a slightly smaller radius than the xxls I thought they absolutely killed it on groomers (haven't tweaked the factory tune at all). I like them far better than the 186 Lhasa on harder snow. I just cut some skins for them so will be able to try out their touring ability and maybe even unleash them on the EC. I'm a smaller guy and thought they were still very easy to ski in the trees.
    J!E!T!S!

Nice review! I just mounted my 192 carbons up about 3 weeks ago and am loving them! They've been my go to ski and the only reason I've skiied anything else has been to "experiment" and compare them to the 192 bros. I don't want to admit it but I may be facing a potential quiver thinning soon.
    The crazy thing about my experience thus far is that I've been lovimg them for the past three weeks in the shit PNW weather (or lack thereof) that we've been having. Truly a versatile ski and the ratio of size/weight/stiffness/maneuverability is unreal!

Bennettc14: I have XXLS with px18's as well..... are you noticing that you ski these less now that you have the 192 bros at your diosposal?

^ I only bring my Bros when I head out West, absolute perfect travel ski. I feel they may be a tad too long/wide to skiing everyday EC but perfect for any real powder day.
    J!E!T!S!

I'm also an EC guy...just picked up a pair of 183's. Gonna mount them up and try them at Windham this weekend and up in VT in a few weeks. I ski Kastle FX 94's up there all the time w/ no issues in any conditions. Unless i'm skiing bumps, i feel like 95-100mm underfoot is great in any condition.
    northern lights and southern comfort...

I definitely recommend Splat's progressive tuning. 1.5 edge bevel in the tip and tail and 2 underfoot really loosens the ski up in tight stuff but still lays down trenches on boilerplate.